A customer writes ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A customer writes ...

g4@novadsp.com
I'm using my newly licensed SG 3 EA 5a on W7x64.

I've just renamed a file in the tree. The old shows up as missing but,
once again, there seems to be no way to add the new. Can someone explain
how this is supposed to work?

Many thanks.

Jerry


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

Phillip Singer
Git (the SCM, not the tool), is not very great at renaming files. It often
treats it like deleting the old file and adding the new file. In order to
commit the delete and add, you have to stage both the missing file (to tell
git that you are removing the file) and the new file (to gell git that you
are adding a file). Once you have staged those changes, then you can commit.

This is the way Git works. Smart Git is just operating the way the
underlying SCM does.

~Phillip Singer

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:10 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>
>
> I'm using my newly licensed SG 3 EA 5a on W7x64.
>
> I've just renamed a file in the tree. The old shows up as missing but,
> once again, there seems to be no way to add the new. Can someone explain
> how this is supposed to work?
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jerry
>
>  
>


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [hidden email]
    [hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

Andrew Herron
> Git (the SCM, not the tool), is not very great at renaming files. It often
> treats it like deleting the old file and adding the new file. In order to
> commit the delete and add, you have to stage both the missing file (to tell
> git that you are removing the file) and the new file (to gell git that you
> are adding a file). Once you have staged those changes, then you can commit.
>
>

You can use "git mv" at the command line to do this in a single step.


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

g4@novadsp.com
Thanks all.

(Order is without predujice!)

> you have to stage both the missing file (to tell
> git that you are removing the file) and the new file (to gell git that you
> are adding a file)

SG never showed the new file. It does not appear in any listing
irrespective of filter settings ...

The lack of options titled 'Add' only adds to my suspicions ...

> You can use "git mv" at the command line to do this in a single step.

Syntevo people: Is there a reason why this cannot be done from within SG?

FTR I'm running a Vault repo in parallel with a Github repo containing
virtually identical content. Vault allows me to right-click and rename a
file. The change is propogated to the file system and the SCMS itself.
Is this too much to ask of Git?

Thx++.


On 20/12/2011 23:31, Andrew Herron wrote:

>  > Git (the SCM, not the tool), is not very great at renaming files. It
> often
>  > treats it like deleting the old file and adding the new file. In order to
>  > commit the delete and add, you have to stage both the missing file
> (to tell
>  > git that you are removing the file) and the new file (to gell git
> that you
>  > are adding a file). Once you have staged those changes, then you can
> commit.
>  >
>  >
>
> You can use "git mv" at the command line to do this in a single step.
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [hidden email]
    [hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

Phillip Singer
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> SG never showed the new file. It does not appear in any listing
> irrespective of filter settings ...
>

At the top right of the file tab,  there is a button that looks like a page
with a blue star on it. That toggles showing unversioned files.

[image: Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 4.40.03 PM.png]


~Phillip


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

g4@novadsp.com
Thanks, and yes, got that. No new unversioned files appear in the main
listing ...

On 21/12/2011 00:43, Phillip Singer wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM, [hidden email]
> <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com> <[hidden email] <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com>> wrote:
>
>  > SG never showed the new file. It does not appear in any listing
>  > irrespective of filter settings ...
>  >
>
> At the top right of the file tab, there is a button that looks like a page
> with a blue star on it. That toggles showing unversioned files.
>
> [image: Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 4.40.03 PM.png]
>
> ~Phillip
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [hidden email]
    [hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

syntevo Support
> Thanks, and yes, got that. No new unversioned files appear in the main
> listing ...

Does "git status" show the file? Could it be ignored?

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
=============
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com


12/21/2011 03:30 - [hidden email] wrote:

> Thanks, and yes, got that. No new unversioned files appear in the main
> listing ...
>
> On 21/12/2011 00:43, Phillip Singer wrote:
> > On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM, [hidden email]
> > <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com> <[hidden email] <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com>> wrote:
> >
> >  > SG never showed the new file. It does not appear in any listing
> >  > irrespective of filter settings ...
> >  >
> >
> > At the top right of the file tab, there is a button that looks like a page
> > with a blue star on it. That toggles showing unversioned files.
> >
> > [image: Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 4.40.03 PM.png]
> >
> > ~Phillip
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: A customer writes ...

g4@novadsp.com
No, the renamed file is a C++ header (.h), and the repo contains lots,
possibly 100's, which all show up correctly. There is simply no obvious
way to get SG to recognise the files existence.

On 21/12/2011 10:05, syntevo Support wrote:

>  > Thanks, and yes, got that. No new unversioned files appear in the main
>  > listing ...
>
> Does "git status" show the file? Could it be ignored?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Marc Strapetz
> =============
> syntevo GmbH
> http://www.syntevo.com
> http://blog.syntevo.com
>
> 12/21/2011 03:30 - [hidden email] <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com> wrote:
>
>  > Thanks, and yes, got that. No new unversioned files appear in the main
>  > listing ...
>  >
>  > On 21/12/2011 00:43, Phillip Singer wrote:
>  > > On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM, [hidden email]
> <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com>
>  > > <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com> <[hidden email] <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com>
> <mailto:g4%40novadsp.com>> wrote:
>  > >
>  > > > SG never showed the new file. It does not appear in any listing
>  > > > irrespective of filter settings ...
>  > > >
>  > >
>  > > At the top right of the file tab, there is a button that looks like
> a page
>  > > with a blue star on it. That toggles showing unversioned files.
>  > >
>  > > [image: Screen Shot 2011-12-20 at 4.40.03 PM.png]
>  > >
>  > > ~Phillip
>  > >
>  > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>  > >
>  > >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > ------------------------------------
>  >
>  > Yahoo! Groups Links
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  >
>
>