ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Matt
Is SmartGit 3 supposed to work on MacOS?  I've tried EA 12 and RC 1 and neither will launch for me.  No errors or anything, it just silently fails to start.

No SmartGit application log is produced and there is no corresponding directory for 3.0 created in ~/Library/Preferences/SmartGit/

Any suggestions?

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Matt
FWIW, my syslog is reporting the following:

Feb 13 14:15:09 matt [0x0-0x81081].com.syntevo.smartgit[2682]: Unable to locate an executable at "/usr/bin/java/bin/java" (-1)
Feb 13 14:15:09 matt com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[211] ([0x0-0x81081].com.syntevo.smartgit[2682]): Exited with code: 20

On my machine the java executable is installed at the root /user/bin/.  SmartGit 2.1.7 launches fine (save for the memory leak reported earlier).

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Andrew Herron
EA 12 has been working fine for me, and RC1 appears to be fine too.

Are you on 10.6 or 10.7? Anything weird about your Java setup, such as installing the Java 7 preview?

On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 8:17 AM, Matt wrote:

> FWIW, my syslog is reporting the following:
>
> Feb 13 14:15:09 matt [0x0-0x81081].com.syntevo.smartgit[2682]: Unable to
> locate an executable at "/usr/bin/java/bin/java" (-1)
> Feb 13 14:15:09 matt com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[211]
> ([0x0-0x81081].com.syntevo.smartgit[2682]): Exited with code: 20
>

> On my machine the java executable is installed at the root /user/bin/.
> SmartGit 2.1.7 launches fine (save for the memory leak reported earlier).

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Matt
Nothing weird about my Java setup that I can think of.  Based on the log output, I'm assuming that the problem is that SmartGit can't find my Java executable.  Where does SmartGit get it's path to use for the Java exe?

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

syntevo Support
SmartGit 3 uses a classic launcher script where as SmartGit 2.1 was using JavaApplicationStub. What output you are getting if you invoke

which java

on a Terminal?

02/14/2012 02:00 - Matt wrote:

> Nothing weird about my Java setup that I can think of.  Based on the log
> output, I'm assuming that the problem is that SmartGit can't find my Java
> executable.  Where does SmartGit get it's path to use for the Java exe?

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Andrew Herron
Why did you switch? JavaApplicationStub isn't going away anytime soon. Apple is dropping support for their JVM, not running Java apps - there are Java apps on the Mac App Store :)

About all that's going to change in the long term is Mac apps may have to include their own JVM in the app bundle. I believe that's something being built as part of the Java 7 port.

BTW, "which java" is the wrong way to find Java on a mac. /usr/libexec/java_home will give you the JVM selected by the Java Preferences app. It'll also prompt a user without Java to install it (like JavaApplicationStub does) unless you ask it not to.

Cheers,
Andy

On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 8:29 PM, syntevo Support wrote:

> SmartGit 3 uses a classic launcher script where as SmartGit 2.1 was using JavaApplicationStub. What output you are getting if you invoke
>
> which java
>
> on a Terminal?

> 02/14/2012 02:00 - Matt wrote:
>
> > Nothing weird about my Java setup that I can think of. Based on the log
> > output, I'm assuming that the problem is that SmartGit can't find my Java
> > executable. Where does SmartGit get it's path to use for the Java exe?

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Andrew Herron

> About all that's going to change in the long term is Mac apps may have to
> include their own JVM in the app bundle. I believe that's something being
> built as part of the Java 7 port.

I probably should link to the status of that, the JIRA entry also has links
to more information...

http://java.net/jira/browse/MACOSX_PORT-105

There's a bunch of discussion on Apple's java-dev mailing list about this
dating back to July last year.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

> Why did you switch? JavaApplicationStub isn't going away anytime soon.

We could not persuade JavaApplicationStub to accept some VM options which are required for an SWT application.

> About all that's going to change in the long term is Mac apps may have to include
> their own JVM in the app bundle.

We plan to deliver our own JVM with the SmartGit OS X bundle just as we do for the Windows bundle.

> BTW, "which java" is the wrong way to find Java on a mac.

Our launcher script just invokes "java".

> /usr/libexec/java_home
> will give you the JVM selected by the Java Preferences app. It'll also prompt a
> user without Java to install it (like JavaApplicationStub does) unless you ask it
> not to.

Invoking "java" also asks whether to download and install Java (tried myself three days ago on a new Mac).

02/14/2012 12:20 - Andrew Herron wrote:

> Why did you switch? JavaApplicationStub isn't going away anytime soon. Apple is
> dropping support for their JVM, not running Java apps - there are Java apps on the
> Mac App Store :)
>
> About all that's going to change in the long term is Mac apps may have to include
> their own JVM in the app bundle. I believe that's something being built as part of
> the Java 7 port.
>
> BTW, "which java" is the wrong way to find Java on a mac. /usr/libexec/java_home
> will give you the JVM selected by the Java Preferences app. It'll also prompt a
> user without Java to install it (like JavaApplicationStub does) unless you ask it
> not to.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>

> On Tuesday, 14 February 2012 at 8:29 PM, syntevo Support wrote:
>

> > SmartGit 3 uses a classic launcher script where as SmartGit 2.1 was using JavaApplicationStub. What output you are getting if you invoke
> >
> > which java
> >
> > on a Terminal?

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >
> > 02/14/2012 02:00 - Matt wrote:
> >
> > > Nothing weird about my Java setup that I can think of. Based on the log
> > > output, I'm assuming that the problem is that SmartGit can't find my Java
> > > executable. Where does SmartGit get it's path to use for the Java exe?

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

Matt
No application windows  at all if I invoke SmartGit by double-clicking the icon.  It immediately exits with the error I posted before written to syslog; Basically it can't find my Java executable.  Below is my terminal output for "which java"

$which java
/usr/bin/java

-Matt

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

syntevo Support
Does launching SmartGit.app/Contents/MacOS/SmartGit from the Terminal?

02/14/2012 17:40 - Matt wrote:

> No application windows  at all if I invoke SmartGit by double-clicking the
> icon.  It immediately exits with the error I posted before written to
> syslog; Basically it can't find my Java executable.  Below is my terminal
> output for "which java"
>
> $which java
> /usr/bin/java
>
> -Matt

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

syntevo Support
> Does launching SmartGit.app/Contents/MacOS/SmartGit from the Terminal?

...works?

hmm. Maybe the new Launcher code in the Java 7 bundle will fix that (it's apparently a complete rewrite (http://java.net/jira/browse/MACOSX_PORT-99)).

> > About all that's going to change in the long term is Mac apps may have to include
> > their own JVM in the app bundle.
>
> We plan to deliver our own JVM with the SmartGit OS X bundle just as we do for the Windows bundle.
>
> > BTW, "which java" is the wrong way to find Java on a mac.
>
> Our launcher script just invokes "java".
I just came across your thread on java-dev talking about SWT launching where that was recommended :)

Executing "java" directly makes you wholly dependant on the shell environment setup though. I'd suggest either specifically pointing to /usr/bin/java, or going with `/usr/libexec/java_home`/bin/java (that's using back ticks).

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN : SmartGit 3 RC 1 is available

syntevo Support
Hi Andy,

> Executing "java" directly makes you wholly dependant on the shell environment
> setup though. I'd suggest either specifically pointing to /usr/bin/java, or going
> with `/usr/libexec/java_home`/bin/java (that's using back ticks).

The next build will contain this change. Thank you for the suggestion.