ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

12

ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

syntevo Support
We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows can't
be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find good
positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)

Please note, that our list of tasks for SmartGit 3 is still quiet long, but
we want to encourage you to give early feed-back.

Download the SmartGit 3 preview build from

 http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

Thank in advance for your feedback!

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Prakash Nadar
Tried it on Mac with external display.

The width of the screen is huge, does not fit in either of the screen and I can not reduce the width of the window either.

-prakash

From: syntevo Support <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 11:00:07 -0700
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: [smartgit] ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows can't
be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find good
positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)

Please note, that our list of tasks for SmartGit 3 is still quiet long, but
we want to encourage you to give early feed-back.

Download the SmartGit 3 preview build from

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

Thank in advance for your feedback!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Andrew Herron

> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
> important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
> instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows
> can't
> be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find
> good
> positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)

Doesn't SWT make it *easier* to re-arrange panels with those tabs at the
top? Eclipse has always been great like that :)

The first thing I did when I started using SmartGit was re-arrange the
panels in the log window. On a 27" monitor the default setup is terrible!

I can send you screenshots of how I arranged it if you want...

On 14 October 2011 04:17, Prakash Nadar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The width of the screen is huge, does not fit in either of the screen and I
> can not reduce the width of the window either.

I saw the same thing, the maximise button fixes it up so that it becomes
normal full screen.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Prakash Nadar
Yes, the maximize button does "Fixes" the problem, but there is a problem in non-maximized screen :)

-prakash

From: Andrew Herron <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:21:23 -0700
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: Re: [smartgit] ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

On 14 October 2011 04:17, Prakash Nadar <[hidden email]<mailto:pnadar%40jawbone.com>> wrote:

> The width of the screen is huge, does not fit in either of the screen and I
> can not reduce the width of the window either.

I saw the same thing, the maximise button fixes it up so that it becomes
normal full screen.

Cheers,
Andy

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Andrew Herron
> Thank in advance for your feedback!

I don't like the compact log view. One of the reasons I picked SmartGit over something like SourceTree was that the log lines are always straight, not bouncing around branches. On a highly active legacy codebase where every fix is done on a branch, most visual log tools are unreadable. I can deal with the lines occasionally being ridiculously wide when it makes my life easier overall.

SmartGit 3 is still easier to follow than other tools, but not as good as SmartGit 2.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Ben Vesco
I'll also vote for a "straight" log view for the text listed there, much
easier to read. Also, if the group allows screenshot attachments I have a
picture of the words slightly overlapping some of the graph lines.
Attempting to attach it now.

[image: Screen shot 2011-10-13 at 3.42.50 PM.png]

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM, ephoxandy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> > Thank in advance for your feedback!
>
> I don't like the compact log view. One of the reasons I picked SmartGit
> over something like SourceTree was that the log lines are always straight,
> not bouncing around branches. On a highly active legacy codebase where every
> fix is done on a branch, most visual log tools are unreadable. I can deal
> with the lines occasionally being ridiculously wide when it makes my life
> easier overall.
>
> SmartGit 3 is still easier to follow than other tools, but not as good as
> SmartGit 2.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

> Doesn't SWT make it *easier* to re-arrange panels with those tabs at the
> top?

No, SWT doesn't. Unfortunately, Eclipse RCP docking framework is not
designed to be used for stand-alone SWT/JFace applications without
having to include half of Eclipse (aka RCP). We did not have the option
to use RCP for several reasons (we've tried in the past).

On 14.10.2011 00:21, Andrew Herron wrote:

>> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
>> important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
>> instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows
>> can't
>> be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find
>> good
>> positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)
>>

> Doesn't SWT make it *easier* to re-arrange panels with those tabs at the
> top? Eclipse has always been great like that :)
>
> The first thing I did when I started using SmartGit was re-arrange the
> panels in the log window. On a 27" monitor the default setup is terrible!
>
> I can send you screenshots of how I arranged it if you want...
>

> On 14 October 2011 04:17, Prakash Nadar<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> The width of the screen is huge, does not fit in either of the screen and I
>> can not reduce the width of the window either.
>>

> I saw the same thing, the maximise button fixes it up so that it becomes
> normal full screen.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

> I'll also vote for a "straight" log view for the text listed there, much
> easier to read.

I think we could optionally align the text, but this would mean that the text start might jump to the right a couple of times when new lines are received for which the graph part requires more space.

> Also, if the group allows screenshot attachments I have a
> picture of the words slightly overlapping some of the graph lines.
> Attempting to attach it now.

Please send that file directly to [hidden email].

10/14/2011 00:50 - Ben Vesco wrote:

> I'll also vote for a "straight" log view for the text listed there, much
> easier to read. Also, if the group allows screenshot attachments I have a
> picture of the words slightly overlapping some of the graph lines.
> Attempting to attach it now.
>
> [image: Screen shot 2011-10-13 at 3.42.50 PM.png]
>
> On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM, ephoxandy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > > Thank in advance for your feedback!
> >
> > I don't like the compact log view. One of the reasons I picked SmartGit
> > over something like SourceTree was that the log lines are always straight,
> > not bouncing around branches. On a highly active legacy codebase where every
> > fix is done on a branch, most visual log tools are unreadable. I can deal
> > with the lines occasionally being ridiculously wide when it makes my life
> > easier overall.
> >
> > SmartGit 3 is still easier to follow than other tools, but not as good as
> > SmartGit 2.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

> On a highly active legacy codebase where every fix is done on a
> branch, most visual log tools are unreadable. I can deal with the lines
> occasionally being ridiculously wide when it makes my life easier overall.

For the repositories I'm working with, the new layout results in significantly smaller graphs and just due to that fact makes them easier to read, IMHO. git.git repository is a good test case. Can you give some use cases for reading the graph? Are you trying to follow a certain branch? I think we could use different colorings here to improve readability.

Sent.

On 14 October 2011 19:24, syntevo Support <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
> > On a highly active legacy codebase where every fix is done on a
> > branch, most visual log tools are unreadable. I can deal with the lines
> > occasionally being ridiculously wide when it makes my life easier
> overall.
>
> For the repositories I'm working with, the new layout results in
> significantly smaller graphs and just due to that fact makes them easier to
> read, IMHO. git.git repository is a good test case. Can you give some use
> cases for reading the graph? Are you trying to follow a certain branch? I
> think we could use different colorings here to improve readability.

I tend follow long-running branches a lot. We have a master branch, a stable
branch, and then create branches for every fix or feature we work on which
are closed off when complete. Tracking stable branch commits in the all
branches view is much easier when the lines are straight.

I'll find a good example and send a screenshot - might have to cut out the
diff details though. That will also give you a look at my 27" full screen
layout that I want to keep :)

 > I'll also vote for a "straight" log view for the text listed there, much
> > easier to read.
>
> I think we could optionally align the text, but this would mean that the
> text start might jump to the right a couple of times when new lines are
> received for which the graph part requires more space.

Text jumping about I can deal with. Lines, not so much :)

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

kevinarood
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the early access to version 3.  However, I have to say, as a long time SmartGit user, I will probably look for another product if I can't rearrange the windows.  I hope you reconsider prioritizing that feature into 3.0.

Thanks,

Kevin Rood

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
> important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
> instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows can't
> be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find good
> positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)
>
> Please note, that our list of tasks for SmartGit 3 is still quiet long, but
> we want to encourage you to give early feed-back.
>
> Download the SmartGit 3 preview build from
>
>  http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
>
> Thank in advance for your feedback!

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Thomas Singer
Administrator
Hi Kevin,

> I will probably look for another product if I can't rearrange the windows.

We are aware of this limitation, but according to my knowledge there is
no other Git client which allows to rearrange the tool windows.
Especially the successful OS X VCS clients come with a fixed UI.

I'm sure, the problem is not that you can't rearrange the tool windows,
but that our default layout does not match your preferred one. Please
select a screenshot of your SmartGit 2.1 layout(s) and I will send you a
preconfigured ui-settings.xml file which matches your preferred layout.

On 19.10.2011 16:28, kevinarood wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the early access to version 3.  However, I have to say, as a long time SmartGit user, I will probably look for another product if I can't rearrange the windows.  I hope you reconsider prioritizing that feature into 3.0.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kevin Rood
>

> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support<smartgit@...>  wrote:
>>
>> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
>> important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
>> instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows can't
>> be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find good
>> positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)
>>
>> Please note, that our list of tasks for SmartGit 3 is still quiet long, but
>> we want to encourage you to give early feed-back.
>>
>> Download the SmartGit 3 preview build from
>>
>>   http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
>>
>> Thank in advance for your feedback!
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas Singer
>> =============
>> syntevo GmbH
>> http://www.syntevo.com
>> http://blog.syntevo.com

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Nick Borrelli
If all it takes is editing an XML file, perhaps include a guide/readme on
how to configure one for your liking?  Although, I assume most (if not
everyone) will be able to figure it out on their own and create their own
custom layout.

-Nick

database 6557 (20111019) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

> I tend follow long-running branches a lot. We have a master branch, a stable
> branch, and then create branches for every fix or feature we work on which
> are closed off when complete. Tracking stable branch commits in the all
> branches view is much easier when the lines are straight.

Please have a look at early-access build 2, there is now a new coloring (View - Single Branch Coloring) which should work well for this use case.

10/18/2011 00:50 - Andrew Herron wrote:

> On 14 October 2011 19:24, syntevo Support <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > **
> > > On a highly active legacy codebase where every fix is done on a
> > > branch, most visual log tools are unreadable. I can deal with the lines
> > > occasionally being ridiculously wide when it makes my life easier
> > overall.
> >
> > For the repositories I'm working with, the new layout results in
> > significantly smaller graphs and just due to that fact makes them easier to
> > read, IMHO. git.git repository is a good test case. Can you give some use
> > cases for reading the graph? Are you trying to follow a certain branch? I
> > think we could use different colorings here to improve readability.
> >

> I tend follow long-running branches a lot. We have a master branch, a stable
> branch, and then create branches for every fix or feature we work on which
> are closed off when complete. Tracking stable branch commits in the all
> branches view is much easier when the lines are straight.
>
> I'll find a good example and send a screenshot - might have to cut out the
> diff details though. That will also give you a look at my 27" full screen
> layout that I want to keep :)
>

>  > I'll also vote for a "straight" log view for the text listed there, much
> > > easier to read.
> >
> > I think we could optionally align the text, but this would mean that the
> > text start might jump to the right a couple of times when new lines are
> > received for which the graph part requires more space.
> >

> Text jumping about I can deal with. Lines, not so much :)
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Prakash Nadar
Or provide few sets of popular layouts that user can pick from the options similar to "review"  and "main" option.

-prakash

database 6557 (20111019) __________

http://www.eset.com

On 20 October 2011 01:43, Thomas Singer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
> We are aware of this limitation, but according to my knowledge there is
> no other Git client which allows to rearrange the tool windows.
> Especially the successful OS X VCS clients come with a fixed UI.

Just because they're popular, doesn't mean they're right!

One of the reasons I picked SmartGit was the flexibility of displaying the
log window in a way that lets me make full use of my screen real estate.

 I'm sure, the problem is not that you can't rearrange the tool windows,
> but that our default layout does not match your preferred one. Please
> select a screenshot of your SmartGit 2.1 layout(s) and I will send you a
> preconfigured ui-settings.xml file which matches your preferred layout.

I sent you a screenshot about the log lines - would be great if I could get
a settings xml in that layout :)

On 20 October 2011 04:46, syntevo Support <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
> > I tend follow long-running branches a lot. We have a master branch, a
> stable
> > branch, and then create branches for every fix or feature we work on
> which
> > are closed off when complete. Tracking stable branch commits in the all
> > branches view is much easier when the lines are straight.
>
> Please have a look at early-access build 2, there is now a new coloring
> (View - Single Branch Coloring) which should work well for this use case.

It certainly does help, but I'm not always trying to follow my checked out
branch. If I could choose which branch to highlight it would definitely
solve that specific use case :)

I just find that straight lines provide a lot more consistency and clarity,
you can improve the colouring all you want but the new style is way more
convoluted:
https://skitch.com/thespyder/gnn62/right-is-better

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

For those who don't like the current layout(s), please send me your screenshots (off-list) from the SmartGit 2 or 2.1 showing your preferred layout.

10/19/2011 21:10 - Prakash Nadar wrote:

> Or provide few sets of popular layouts that user can pick from the options similar
> to "review"  and "main" option.
>
> -prakash
>
> From: Nick Borrelli <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 10:23:51 -0700
> To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>"
> <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Subject: RE: [smartgit] Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT
>

> If all it takes is editing an XML file, perhaps include a guide/readme on
> how to configure one for your liking? Although, I assume most (if not
> everyone) will be able to figure it out on their own and create their own
> custom layout.
>
> -Nick

Eugene Kashpureff
I cannot say that the new UI library has me won over on looks compared to the current 2.1 stable, but given as this is an early pre-alpha, and I'm sure this is being done to help cleanup a lot of the underlying code, I'm willing to give it a try. The core functionality all appears to be good, and it seems to have even carried over most of the layout from my 2.1 installation.

Losing a feature is never good, but I very much agree with Nick that a quick README for advanced users on editing the XML file would make this a non-issue - fiddling with the layout is a one-time affair.

A screenshot of my current layout will be sent separately.

--- In [hidden email], "Nick Borrelli" <nborrelli@...> wrote:

> If all it takes is editing an XML file, perhaps include a guide/readme on
> how to configure one for your liking?  Although, I assume most (if not
> everyone) will be able to figure it out on their own and create their own
> custom layout.
>

> -Nick

Yes, we plan to do so. EA2 build was just to demonstrate how it would
look like.

> I just find that straight lines provide a lot more consistency and clarity,
> you can improve the colouring all you want but the new style is way more
> convoluted:
> https://skitch.com/thespyder/gnn62/right-is-better

I agree that straight lines may result in nicer (but not smaller graphs)
for repositories with a few branches. But in this case, both graphs are
quite easy to read. Problems with straight lines come up with
repositories with many branches. Here the resulting layout was, frankly,
unacceptable :)

On 20.10.2011 02:18, Andrew Herron wrote:

> On 20 October 2011 01:43, Thomas Singer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> **
>> We are aware of this limitation, but according to my knowledge there is
>> no other Git client which allows to rearrange the tool windows.
>> Especially the successful OS X VCS clients come with a fixed UI.
>>

> Just because they're popular, doesn't mean they're right!
>
> One of the reasons I picked SmartGit was the flexibility of displaying the
> log window in a way that lets me make full use of my screen real estate.
>

>  I'm sure, the problem is not that you can't rearrange the tool windows,
>> but that our default layout does not match your preferred one. Please
>> select a screenshot of your SmartGit 2.1 layout(s) and I will send you a
>> preconfigured ui-settings.xml file which matches your preferred layout.
>>

> I sent you a screenshot about the log lines - would be great if I could get
> a settings xml in that layout :)
>

> On 20 October 2011 04:46, syntevo Support <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> **
>>> I tend follow long-running branches a lot. We have a master branch, a
>> stable
>>> branch, and then create branches for every fix or feature we work on
>> which
>>> are closed off when complete. Tracking stable branch commits in the all
>>> branches view is much easier when the lines are straight.
>>
>> Please have a look at early-access build 2, there is now a new coloring
>> (View - Single Branch Coloring) which should work well for this use case.
>>

> It certainly does help, but I'm not always trying to follow my checked out
> branch. If I could choose which branch to highlight it would definitely
> solve that specific use case :)
>
> I just find that straight lines provide a lot more consistency and clarity,
> you can improve the colouring all you want but the new style is way more
> convoluted:
> https://skitch.com/thespyder/gnn62/right-is-better
>
> Cheers,
> Andy