ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

12

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Andrew Herron

> > I just find that straight lines provide a lot more consistency and
> clarity,
> > you can improve the colouring all you want but the new style is way more
> > convoluted:
> > https://skitch.com/thespyder/gnn62/right-is-better
>
> I agree that straight lines may result in nicer (but not smaller graphs)
> for repositories with a few branches. But in this case, both graphs are
> quite easy to read. Problems with straight lines come up with
> repositories with many branches. Here the resulting layout was, frankly,
> unacceptable :)

I completely disagree - the straight lines make for a much easier to
understand history even in that small example. Yes it can become really
spread out and look a bit silly, but consistent lines are easier to follow
than when they're jumping around. Colouring helps a bit, but not much. I
have a few points in my history where the lines have to cross, and this is
much worse in 3.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

The next SmartGit build will allow to use drag and drop to rearrange the
tool windows.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Andrew Herron
> The next SmartGit build will allow to use drag and drop to rearrange the
> tool windows.
Is this complete in the intermediate build? It's a bit weird on OS X… there's no greyed-out box to indicate where you're about to place a tool window, and I can't appear to stack the log window like I do on v2 :)

I believe I sent you a screenshot of my setup a while back, I can take a new one if you want.

Cheers,
Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

syntevo Support
> Is this complete in the intermediate build?

No, there still is room for improvement, e.g. showing the drop locations
using rectangles. But it works. Dropping at the left, right, top or bottom
border (without the corners) of a tool window will place the dragged tool
window at the appropriate location. Dropping at the center allows to stack
tool windows. Maybe it is necessary to move a couple of tool windows around
to get the desired result.

Tom

On 20.12.2011 23:11, Andrew Herron wrote:
>> The next SmartGit build will allow to use drag and drop to rearrange the
>> tool windows.
> Is this complete in the intermediate build? It's a bit weird on OS X… there's no greyed-out box to indicate where you're about to place a tool window, and I can't appear to stack the log window like I do on v2 :)
>
> I believe I sent you a screenshot of my setup a while back, I can take a new one if you want.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

jernejkase
Just tried EA3.

Version 2 is nice and stylish. Why "fixing" something that wasn't broken to begin with?

Anyway, my reaction to v3 UI:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/38876cda601d0b881b08fea19e03c736.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/2e1dce81ffb5ccbe9b280b97b2252623.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/8aed2cabf7e49bb082efe09df1fc3906.png

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
> important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
> instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows can't
> be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find good
> positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)
>
> Please note, that our list of tasks for SmartGit 3 is still quiet long, but
> we want to encourage you to give early feed-back.
>
> Download the SmartGit 3 preview build from
>
>  http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
>
> Thank in advance for your feedback!

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Jens Mühlenhoff
Am 05.01.2012 09:59, schrieb jernejkase:
> Just tried EA3.
>
> Version 2 is nice and stylish. Why "fixing" something that wasn't broken
> to begin with?

The Version 3 interface fits better into the native look and theming of
the OS, I can totally understand this and it's also a concern for our
own applications.

I absolutly hate applications that don't even try to conform to the UI
specifications of the environment they run in.

That said Version 2 wasn't such a bad example app and was ok for me, but
I really like the tighter integration of the Version 3 look that SWT
enables.

Also keep in mind that it's only an "early-access" version.

I'd (and presumably syntevo also would) really like to know why you're
so disgusted about the new UI?

> Anyway, my reaction to v3 UI:
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/38876cda601d0b881b08fea19e03c736.png
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/2e1dce81ffb5ccbe9b280b97b2252623.png
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/8aed2cabf7e49bb082efe09df1fc3906.png

Don't you think it's a bit rude to send "GTFO" images to a mailing list?

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Mühlenhoff - Programmierer / Abtlg. Entwicklung & Support

A C C U R A T A - Informationssysteme GmbH
Lerchenkamp 11, D-31137 Hildesheim
Tel.: +49 5121 / 20 66 066 | http://www.accurata.com
Fax.: +49 5121 / 20 66 068 | [hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hildesheim, Handelsregister - HRB 2586
Geschäftsführer: Maico M. Friedrich

Re: ANN: SmartGit 3 early-access with SWT

Thanks for trying SmartGit 3 preview.

> Why "fixing" something that wasn't broken to begin with?

Swing caused some problems on Windows (e.g., when switching the Windows scheme), on OS X (non-native, and hence - according to feed-back from OS X users - ugly look) and Linux (e.g., empty dialog windows; the GUI was buggy in the default OpenJDK). I think, that we have improved it on these platforms, especially for OS X and Linux.

What operating system you are using? What particular you don't like about the new GUI?

01/05/2012 10:20 - jernejkase wrote:

> Just tried EA3.
>
> Version 2 is nice and stylish. Why "fixing" something that wasn't broken to begin
> with?
>
> Anyway, my reaction to v3 UI:
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/38876cda601d0b881b08fea19e03c736.png
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/2e1dce81ffb5ccbe9b280b97b2252623.png
> http://s3.amazonaws.com/ragefaces/8aed2cabf7e49bb082efe09df1fc3906.png
>
> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 3. The most
> > important change is that we are now using a different GUI library (SWT
> > instead of AWT/Swing). This has the consequence, that the tool windows can't
> > be visually rearranged with drag and drop any more. We've tried to find good
> > positions for them and hope that rearranging is not really necessary. ;)
> >
> > Please note, that our list of tasks for SmartGit 3 is still quiet long, but
> > we want to encourage you to give early feed-back.
> >
> > Download the SmartGit 3 preview build from
> >
> >  http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
> >
> > Thank in advance for your feedback!

> > Thomas Singer

12