ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

123

ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

syntevo Support
We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 4. The most
important new features are

- interactive rebase
- annotate/blame
- loss-less merge support for SVN
- improved Hg support
- improved submodules support

Download the SmartGit 4 preview build from

  http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

Thank in advance for your feedback!

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

Ben Vesco
Does the log view still have the "all branches" capability? One of my most
often used workflows is to view the log of all branches to review where
they diverge and what commits and legs are not in other branches. Is there
a way to turn that on in 4?

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Thomas Singer (syntevo) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 4. The most
> important new features are
>
> - interactive rebase
> - annotate/blame
> - loss-less merge support for SVN
> - improved Hg support
> - improved submodules support
>
> Download the SmartGit 4 preview build from
>
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
>
> Thank in advance for your feedback!

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

syntevo Support
Yes, it is named "Select All Branches". Can be found in the Branches menu as well as in the context menu.

10/15/2012 18:30 - Ben Vesco wrote:

> Does the log view still have the "all branches" capability? One of my most
> often used workflows is to view the log of all branches to review where
> they diverge and what commits and legs are not in other branches. Is there
> a way to turn that on in 4?
>

> On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Thomas Singer (syntevo) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 4. The most
> > important new features are
> >
> > - interactive rebase
> > - annotate/blame
> > - loss-less merge support for SVN
> > - improved Hg support
> > - improved submodules support
> >
> > Download the SmartGit 4 preview build from
> >
> > http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
> >
> > Thank in advance for your feedback!

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

yantspb
Hi Thomas,

Great work improving SmartGit!

Can you please implement incremental search in Branch window? I have 65 branches in my local repository and the majority of them start with 'topic-....'. I would like to search for interesting branch simply by typing some part of the branch name. Also it would be great to be able to filter branches by 'regex'. My usecase is to view history of all recent branches in my repository about pathfinding subsystem.

The new blame window is ok, but I cannot imagine using it before I can copy commit id from the left part of the window (I'm going to use the commit id to get additional info about it in Log window). Also, can you please make the left pane searchable so that I'll be able to look for some person's modifications in current file.

Thanks,

Anthony Yakovlev
Lead programmer
Nival Network, Saint-Petersburg

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Yes, it is named "Select All Branches". Can be found in the Branches menu as well as in the context menu.

> 10/15/2012 18:30 - Ben Vesco wrote:
>
> > Does the log view still have the "all branches" capability? One of my most
> > often used workflows is to view the log of all branches to review where
> > they diverge and what commits and legs are not in other branches. Is there
> > a way to turn that on in 4?
> >

> > On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 4:00 AM, Thomas Singer (syntevo) <
> > smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > > **
> > >

> > > We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 4. The most
> > > important new features are
> > >
> > > - interactive rebase
> > > - annotate/blame
> > > - loss-less merge support for SVN
> > > - improved Hg support
> > > - improved submodules support
> > >
> > > Download the SmartGit 4 preview build from
> > >
> > > http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
> > >
> > > Thank in advance for your feedback!
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > =============
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

syntevo Support
Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your feed-back.

> Can you please implement incremental search in Branch window?

Next build will contain it.

> The new blame window is ok, but I cannot imagine using it before I can copy commit
> id from the left part of the window

Edit|Copy ID is your friend.

> Also, can you please make the left pane searchable so that I'll be able
> to look for some person's modifications in current file.

What's wrong with selecting "Color By: Author"?

10/16/2012 11:10 - yantspb wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Great work improving SmartGit!
>
> Can you please implement incremental search in Branch window? I have 65 branches
> in my local repository and the majority of them start with 'topic-....'. I would
> like to search for interesting branch simply by typing some part of the branch
> name. Also it would be great to be able to filter branches by 'regex'. My usecase
> is to view history of all recent branches in my repository about pathfinding
> subsystem.
>
> The new blame window is ok, but I cannot imagine using it before I can copy commit
> id from the left part of the window (I'm going to use the commit id to get
> additional info about it in Log window). Also, can you please make the left pane
> searchable so that I'll be able to look for some person's modifications in current
> file.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Anthony Yakovlev
> Lead programmer
> Nival Network, Saint-Petersburg
>
> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > Yes, it is named "Select All Branches". Can be found in the Branches menu as well as in the context menu.

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >

> > 10/15/2012 18:30 - Ben Vesco wrote:
> >
> > > Does the log view still have the "all branches" capability? One of my most
> > > often used workflows is to view the log of all branches to review where
> > > they diverge and what commits and legs are not in other branches. Is there
> > > a way to turn that on in 4?

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

Norbert Nemec
Brilliant!

I just found the time to try this out and am really impressed! Blame
support and branch view are *huge* improvements. Within the first
fifteen minutes of using it, I cound no serious issues that would
prevent me from using it for my daily work right away. I am looking
forward to it!

Thanks for the great work!

Greetings,
Norbert

Am 15.10.12 13:00, schrieb Thomas Singer (syntevo):

> We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 4. The most
> important new features are
>
> - interactive rebase
> - annotate/blame
> - loss-less merge support for SVN
> - improved Hg support
> - improved submodules support
>
> Download the SmartGit 4 preview build from
>
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
>
> Thank in advance for your feedback!

Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

waltw87-2
Yes, thank you so much Syntevo!  This is a huge update, and makes me enthusiastiac about SmartGit again.  3.0 didn't make me happy, but 4.0 is really great so far!

--- In [hidden email], Norbert Nemec <norbert.nemec@...> wrote:

> Brilliant!
>
> I just found the time to try this out and am really impressed! Blame
> support and branch view are *huge* improvements. Within the first
> fifteen minutes of using it, I cound no serious issues that would
> prevent me from using it for my daily work right away. I am looking
> forward to it!
>
> Thanks for the great work!
>
> Greetings,
> Norbert
>

> Am 15.10.12 13:00, schrieb Thomas Singer (syntevo):
> > We have started to publish early-access builds of SmartGit 4. The most
> > important new features are
> >
> > - interactive rebase
> > - annotate/blame
> > - loss-less merge support for SVN
> > - improved Hg support
> > - improved submodules support
> >
> > Download the SmartGit 4 preview build from
> >
> > http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
> >
> > Thank in advance for your feedback!

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============

> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> norbert.nemec@...
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 early-access

martijnlaan
Nice updates :)

In reply to the above: there's no "Select All Branches" in the Merge window. How can I make it always show all branches there like was possible before? Including any new ones.

Also, have you considered updating the Inno Setup version you are using? Currently you're using a quite old one. A newer version would for example automatically closing smartgitc.exe if needed, and add support for Windows 8.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

Thomas Singer
Administrator
A new preview release is available at

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

martijnlaan
I've been using it for a while now. It works well but I'm missing some features which seem to have been removed without a replacement. The end result is that v4 is slowing me down compared to v3.

-The Switch menu item seems to be gone. I used it to switch to brances. I can use Checkout but it's slower since I need to find the branch between all the commits.

-The Branch Manager menu item is gone and I can't find anything else that lists local and remote repository info side by side. I used this to get an overview of what new remote branches there are and what outdated local only branches are left over.

-The Delete menu item in the context menu of commits in the Log window is gone. I used this to remove remote and local branches after merging. There's the new Branches window here but again it's slower.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

Diederick C. Niehorster
Dear Thomas,

Thanks for the release preview, I am liking the improvements! I am having
some trouble with the log window and selecting which branches to show
though.
I can right-click on "local branches" and select "select all branches",
that works just fine. However, i cannot select or unselect individual
branches, with the right-click menu, the space shortcut or by clicking the
square in front of a branch. The tab of the branch view on the right
briefly shows "loading" when i do so, but the view still only shows the
current branch (or the unselected branch is not removed from view). The
check mark also does not appear / is not removed in front of the branch in
the branches list.

I'm on windows 7 64 bit and just installed the newest JRE before installing
Smartgit 4.

Best,
Dee

On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Thomas Singer <[hidden email]>wrote:

> **
>

> A new preview release is available at
>
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

syntevo Support
Hi Diederick,

If you selected "Select All Branches", then all branches are selected. To select individual branches, unselect "Select All Branches".

11/01/2012 05:00 - Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:

> Dear Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the release preview, I am liking the improvements! I am having
> some trouble with the log window and selecting which branches to show
> though.
> I can right-click on "local branches" and select "select all branches",
> that works just fine. However, i cannot select or unselect individual
> branches, with the right-click menu, the space shortcut or by clicking the
> square in front of a branch. The tab of the branch view on the right
> briefly shows "loading" when i do so, but the view still only shows the
> current branch (or the unselected branch is not removed from view). The
> check mark also does not appear / is not removed in front of the branch in
> the branches list.
>
> I'm on windows 7 64 bit and just installed the newest JRE before installing
> Smartgit 4.
>
> Best,
> Dee
>

> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Thomas Singer <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > A new preview release is available at
> >
> > http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

> > Thomas Singer

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

Diederick C. Niehorster
Hi Thomas,

Weird, could have sworn i did that. It works fine indeed when not all are
selected.

In this case, would it be possible to see "select all branches" as simply
putting a check in front of all branches, displaying them all, instead of
as a state? Then one could display all his branches and then unselect one
or two. Maybe a checkbox could be put in front of "Local branches" so that
the right click menu is not needed at all.

Best,
Dee

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 3:54 PM, syntevo Support <[hidden email]>wrote:

> **
>

> Hi Diederick,
>
> If you selected "Select All Branches", then all branches are selected. To
> select individual branches, unselect "Select All Branches".

> 11/01/2012 05:00 - Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:
>
> > Dear Thomas,
> >
> > Thanks for the release preview, I am liking the improvements! I am having
> > some trouble with the log window and selecting which branches to show
> > though.
> > I can right-click on "local branches" and select "select all branches",
> > that works just fine. However, i cannot select or unselect individual
> > branches, with the right-click menu, the space shortcut or by clicking
> the
> > square in front of a branch. The tab of the branch view on the right
> > briefly shows "loading" when i do so, but the view still only shows the
> > current branch (or the unselected branch is not removed from view). The
> > check mark also does not appear / is not removed in front of the branch
> in
> > the branches list.
> >
> > I'm on windows 7 64 bit and just installed the newest JRE before
> installing
> > Smartgit 4.
> >
> > Best,
> > Dee
> >

> > On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Thomas Singer <
> [hidden email]>wrote:
> >
> > > **
>

> > > A new preview release is available at
> > >
> > > http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

Diederick C. Niehorster
Hi Thomas,

I am very happy with the new blame window, two small comments though:
- When leaving the mouse on the info in the left of the window, a popup
comes up that shows the commit message and such. This is great and very
useful, but it easily times out before I had time the read the whole
message. Could you make its time infinite (and maybe that it stays open as
long as the mouse is on the left panel, on the same commit so that it
doesn't close due to inadvert small mouse movements)
- I would prefer to have my line numbers on the right side of the left
panel, as close to the code as possible. I guess its a matter of taste, but
some way to make that possible would be welcome.

Best and thanks,
Dee

Re: ANN: SmartGit 4 preview 2

Ben Vesco
Used to be able to right-click in the log view to delete a branch. I used
this at least once a day on short topic branches. It is sorely missed. Is
there a shortcut key to do the same? The Delete option on the Branch menu
is greyed out, so I can't even use the menu or the F8 key. Can we get the
right click behavior back?

On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Diederick C. Niehorster
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> **
>

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I am very happy with the new blame window, two small comments though:
> - When leaving the mouse on the info in the left of the window, a popup
> comes up that shows the commit message and such. This is great and very
> useful, but it easily times out before I had time the read the whole
> message. Could you make its time infinite (and maybe that it stays open as
> long as the mouse is on the left panel, on the same commit so that it
> doesn't close due to inadvert small mouse movements)
> - I would prefer to have my line numbers on the right side of the left
> panel, as close to the code as possible. I guess its a matter of taste, but
> some way to make that possible would be welcome.
>
> Best and thanks,
> Dee

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Log, Delete in Commits tool window

syntevo Support
Hi Ben,

I thought, that having the ability to delete branches from the Branches tool
window would be sufficient. Hence, I removed it from the Commits tool
window. But I missed it later, too, so the next build will have the delete
in the Commits tool window again.

Next time, please use a separate thread for a separate issue.

On 01.11.2012 18:10, Ben Vesco wrote:

> Used to be able to right-click in the log view to delete a branch. I used
> this at least once a day on short topic branches. It is sorely missed. Is
> there a shortcut key to do the same? The Delete option on the Branch menu
> is greyed out, so I can't even use the menu or the F8 key. Can we get the
> right click behavior back?
>

> On Thu, Nov 1, 2012 at 1:42 AM, Diederick C. Niehorster
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> **
>>

>> Hi Thomas,
>>
>> I am very happy with the new blame window, two small comments though:
>> - When leaving the mouse on the info in the left of the window, a popup
>> comes up that shows the commit message and such. This is great and very
>> useful, but it easily times out before I had time the read the whole
>> message. Could you make its time infinite (and maybe that it stays open as
>> long as the mouse is on the left panel, on the same commit so that it
>> doesn't close due to inadvert small mouse movements)
>> - I would prefer to have my line numbers on the right side of the left
>> panel, as close to the code as possible. I guess its a matter of taste, but
>> some way to make that possible would be welcome.
>>
>> Best and thanks,
>> Dee

SmartGit 4 preview 3

A new preview release is available at

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

SmartGit 4 preview 4

A new preview release is available at

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

SmartGit 4 preview 2 - Log Window Show/Hide Branches?

nordertom

I tried the SmartGit 4 P2 and wonder how to show/hide specific
branches in the Log-Window.
In SmartGit 3 there was a pull-down menu right to the "Branch
Coloring"-pull down menu.
The menu offered "All Branches..." followed by one local branch and
then by a menu item "Other branches..."

How can one do this now?

I guess I don't understand the new UI in this part.

Horrido,
Thomas

Re: SmartGit 4 preview 2 - Log Window Show/Hide Branches?

syntevo Support
Hi Thomas,

Please see my first answer in this thread.

11/05/2012 12:50 - Thomas Wichern wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried the SmartGit 4 P2 and wonder how to show/hide specific
> branches in the Log-Window.
> In SmartGit 3 there was a pull-down menu right to the "Branch
> Coloring"-pull down menu.
> The menu offered "All Branches..." followed by one local branch and
> then by a menu item "Other branches..."
>
> How can one do this now?
>
> I guess I don't understand the new UI in this part.
>
> Horrido,
> Thomas

123