ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
The first public preview build for the upcoming SmartGit/Hg version 6.5
is available. The most important changes are:

- External Tools are more powerful
- Improved memory consumption
- Log file/content filters
- auto-update across major versions
- Distributed Reviews: better handling of pull request heads

You are welcome to give it a try!

Download:
<http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access>

Detailed change log:
<http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/changelog-eap.txt>

http://www.syntevo.com/blog

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

WORMSS
Thankie, Downloading it now.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

WORMSS
Just as a side note, Would it be easier for the users to get an installer that does not have the jre hardcoded into it? That way the installer could see if it can detect the presence of a jre on the system already and then give the user the option to use what they already got, or download a jre if needed.

You could still do an installer with jre hardcoded into it for those who like to do complete offline installing.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
That already exists.  See Installer without JRE on the download page.

On 9/10/2014 3:13 AM, WORMSS [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Just as a side note, Would it be easier for the users to get an installer
> that does not have the jre hardcoded into it? That way the installer could
> see if it can detect the presence of a jre on the system already and then
> give the user the option to use what they already got, or download a jre if
> needed.
>
> You could still do an installer with jre hardcoded into it for those who
> like to do complete offline installing.

Guy Rouillier

---

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

WORMSS
... correct, that is the one I usually go for ... but your DEFAULT is the one "WITH" the jre. So people always go for the default and then download the jre even if they already have it because that is the one that has the massive "DOWNLOAD" button for it. What a waste of your bandwidth (or who ever hosts your binaries) and the users bandwidth, and also more importantly their TIME.

I'm not saying only release the installer that does not have the jre, I'm saying make the installer without, and then have the installer detect if you have the jre, if you don't THEN have the installer download the jre.

Why have the user download a 60mb file when a user only needs 12mb but didn't see the "without jre" download or has NO idea what a jre is (which is the most likely).

- Colin.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
> Why have the user download a 60mb file when a user only needs 12mb but
> didn't see the "without jre" download or has NO idea what a jre is (which is
> the most likely).

I doubt that most of our users have Java installed and if they have, it's questionable whether it's a "good" version. We require 1.7 and preferably a mature one. We haven't tested thoroughly with 1.8, which might introduce new problems. So the safest solution which gives the user the most stable version is to deliver "our" JRE. Same with Git and Mercurial. I don't think the download size 12M vs. 60M matters today. It's a one-time download anyway, as subsequent releases (starting with 6.1, even major releases) will be downloaded as "patch".

09/10/2014 11:10 - WORMSS [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> ... correct, that is the one I usually go for ... but your DEFAULT is the one
> "WITH" the jre. So people always go for the default and then download the
> jre even if they already have it because that is the one that has the
> massive "DOWNLOAD" button for it. What a waste of your bandwidth (or who
> ever hosts your binaries) and the users bandwidth, and also more importantly
> their TIME.
>
> I'm not saying only release the installer that does not have the jre, I'm
> saying make the installer without, and then have the installer detect if you
> have the jre, if you don't THEN have the installer download the jre.
>
> Why have the user download a 60mb file when a user only needs 12mb but
> didn't see the "without jre" download or has NO idea what a jre is (which is
> the most likely).
>
> - Colin.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

lastwalrus
SmartGit mailing list wrote
The first public preview build for the upcoming SmartGit/Hg version 6.5
is available.
I've used previous versions with NON-COMMERCIAL license but  SmartGit/Hg version 6.5 say that my license has expired so I cannot even start the program.

Have you terminate a NON-COMMERCIAL license ?

Thanks.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
Sorry, this is a nasty bug. Please remove the 6.5 settings directory and copy the 6 directory to 6.5 as work-around.

09/11/2014 15:00 - lastwalrus [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> SmartGit mailing list wrote
> > The first public preview build for the upcoming SmartGit/Hg version 6.5
> > is available.
>

> I've used previous versions with NON-COMMERCIAL license but  SmartGit/Hg
> version 6.5 say that my license has expired so I cannot even start the
> program.
>

> Have you terminate a NON-COMMERCIAL license ?
>

> Thanks.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

lastwalrus
SmartGit mailing list wrote
Sorry, this is a nasty bug. Please remove the 6.5 settings directory and copy the 6 directory to 6.5 as work-around.
OK, Thanks.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

WORMSS
SmartGit is doing it's first upgrade, I presume from 6.5 p1 to 6.5 p2, this process seems very long winded. I started it 5 minutes ago and its only just finished the second part "Building new installation", the checking process went for most of this 5 minutes. (I have a slow 5400rpm laptop harddrive). If I knew this upgrade process was going to take so long, I would have delayed it.. Or cancelled it or something. The old upgrade process never taken this long, usually a quick restart of SG was all that was needed. (At least to the users point of view). I noticed it was checking stuff like Asia git documentation and stuff... Surely that is not required to check to have SmartGit run smoothly? Actually. I just thought. I dont even use the git that is bundled into SmartGit. I use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Git\bin\git.exe" which is set in your Preferences > Executables > Git. So all that time it taken to check all the git components and documentation was a massive slowdown to the upgrade process.

- Colin.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
> SmartGit is doing it's first upgrade, I presume from 6.5 p1 to 6.5 p2, this
> process seems very long winded. I started it 5 minutes ago and its only just
> finished the second part "Building new installation", the checking process
> went for most of this 5 minutes. (I have a slow 5400rpm laptop harddrive).
> If I knew this upgrade process was going to take so long, I would have
> delayed it.. Or cancelled it or something. The old upgrade process never
> taken this long, usually a quick restart of SG was all that was needed. (At
> least to the users point of view). I noticed it was checking stuff like Asia
> git documentation and stuff... Surely that is not required to check to have
> SmartGit run smoothly?

I've tried to make the upgrade-process quite safe, so we might finally decide to drop the "Verifying" phase. Anyway, the speed-up will not be that significant as the "Building new installation" phase definitely can't be made (significantly) faster. Unfortunately the entire installation, including Git and JRE is quite large and consists of many files. 5 minutes is actually long, though. It takes roughly 1 minute for me on an SSD. From my experience it's slightly faster on Mac and super-fast on Windows (because we have neither Git nor JRE here).

Now the good news: these "full upgrades" for *every* build will only be present in the preview versions. Later, I expect that there will only be a full upgrade per major version, i.e. in a situation where you would currently have to uninstall SmartGit, download the new version from the website and install again. So overall keeping your installation up-to-date will be faster and definitely more convenient starting with version 6.5.

09/15/2014 09:00 - WORMSS [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> SmartGit is doing it's first upgrade, I presume from 6.5 p1 to 6.5 p2, this
> process seems very long winded. I started it 5 minutes ago and its only just
> finished the second part "Building new installation", the checking process
> went for most of this 5 minutes. (I have a slow 5400rpm laptop harddrive).
> If I knew this upgrade process was going to take so long, I would have
> delayed it.. Or cancelled it or something. The old upgrade process never
> taken this long, usually a quick restart of SG was all that was needed. (At
> least to the users point of view). I noticed it was checking stuff like Asia
> git documentation and stuff... Surely that is not required to check to have
> SmartGit run smoothly? Actually. I just thought. I dont even use the git
> that is bundled into SmartGit. I use "C:\Program Files
> (x86)\Git\bin\git.exe" which is set in your Preferences > Executables > Git.
> So all that time it taken to check all the git components and documentation
> was a massive slowdown to the upgrade process.
>
> - Colin.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

WORMSS
I can understand a full "check" of system from a major upgrade to another, or if you have had to fiddle with the jre or git libraries you use. And everything else be on a patch by patch basis.

But if you are doing something with git libraries or jre then that worries me slightly since I use the JRE in the JDK and have my git external and if you are making special jre/git changes, the something somewhere will break. (Unless its nothing more than a version update).

Does this mean though if I go from SG 6 to SG7 in the future, you will be downloading and installing 'another' jre which I won't need?

- Colin

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
> But if you are doing something with git libraries or jre then that worries
> me slightly since I use the JRE in the JDK and have my git external and if
> you are making special jre/git changes, the something somewhere will break.
> (Unless its nothing more than a version update).

We are not doing something specific with the JRE or Git, but simply (possibly) upgrade as we would do with an installer. But until now, when we decided to upgrade anything except of a JAR-file, we had to mark this upgrade as incompatible and ask the user to manually download a new installer. From now on, this won't be necessary anymore.

> Does this mean though if I go from SG 6 to SG7 in the future, you will be
> downloading and installing 'another' jre which I won't need?

Are you using the small installer bundle without JRE and Git? I think in this case, you'd still get the JRE and Git downloaded and installed, but you may simply remove it afterwards. Anyway, we should be able to fix that for the upgrade, too. If you are using the "full" installer bundle or the portable bundle, then it's desired to get new the JRE/Git (if we decided to upgrade).

09/15/2014 17:40 - WORMSS [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> I can understand a full "check" of system from a major upgrade to another, or
> if you have had to fiddle with the jre or git libraries you use. And
> everything else be on a patch by patch basis.
>
> But if you are doing something with git libraries or jre then that worries
> me slightly since I use the JRE in the JDK and have my git external and if
> you are making special jre/git changes, the something somewhere will break.
> (Unless its nothing more than a version update).
>
> Does this mean though if I go from SG 6 to SG7 in the future, you will be
> downloading and installing 'another' jre which I won't need?
>
> - Colin

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

6.5 downloaded the preview 2 update.  However, it repeatedly fails
trying to apply this update.  I sent a log file to the Sentevo email
address.

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

> But if you are doing something with git libraries or jre then that worries
> me slightly since I use the JRE in the JDK and have my git external and if
> you are making special jre/git changes, the something somewhere will break.
> (Unless its nothing more than a version update).
>
> Does this mean though if I go from SG 6 to SG7 in the future, you will be
> downloading and installing 'another' jre which I won't need?

Would you please give the latest build a try? On Windows, it should now
check whether git-, mercurial- and jre-directories are present in your
current installation and only in this case (re)create these directories
during upgrade. With the no-JRE bundle, this makes such upgrades a lot
faster.

On 15.09.2014 17:38, WORMSS [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> I can understand a full "check" of system from a major upgrade to another, or
> if you have had to fiddle with the jre or git libraries you use. And
> everything else be on a patch by patch basis.
>
> But if you are doing something with git libraries or jre then that worries
> me slightly since I use the JRE in the JDK and have my git external and if
> you are making special jre/git changes, the something somewhere will break.
> (Unless its nothing more than a version update).
>
> Does this mean though if I go from SG 6 to SG7 in the future, you will be
> downloading and installing 'another' jre which I won't need?
>
> - Colin

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: WORMSS <[hidden email]>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

I just updated to rc3, and I still have this problem with the non-commercial license not being recognized.  Has this been addressed at all?  I looked in the changelog http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/changelog-eap.txt, and I don't see anything there.

 Thanks.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

I'm sure I've fixed the problem with the non-commercial license that occurred in 6.5 preview 1. What exact steps you did and what happened?

> I just updated to rc3, and I still have this problem with the non-commercial
> license not being recognized.  Has this been addressed at all?  I looked in the
> changelog http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/changelog-eap.txt, and I don't see
> anything there.
>
>  Thanks.

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
Thomas,

I tested again, and I still see this issue.  When I go to the "About" ->
"License" screen, I see "Unlicensed (evaluation until Dec 13, 2014)".

*Steps:*

   1. Have a previous SmartGit 6.0 installation which used a non-commercial
   license.
   2. Upgrade SmartGit to 6.5 rc3.
   3. Observe that it says "Unlicensed" in the "About" screen.
   4. Close SmartGit, delete the "%appadata%\syntevo\smartgit\6.5"
   directory, and reopen SmartGit.

SmartGit imports the old profile from the "%appadata%\syntevo\smartgit\6"
directory, but fails to read the license information from there.

If I rename the old "...\4", "...\5", and "...\6" profile directories to
"...\4.old", "...\5.old", and "...\6.old", then SmartGit can't find them so
it creates a fresh profile and prompts me for the license type.  I then see
"Unlicensed (for non-commercial use only)", which is what I expect.
However, this leaves me without all of my saved repositories and
credentials.

Thanks,
Moshe

--
Moshe Katz
-- [hidden email]

On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:42 AM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
[smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm sure I've fixed the problem with the non-commercial license that
> occurred in 6.5 preview 1. What exact steps you did and what happened?

> 11/10/2014 10:40 - [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:
>
> > I just updated to rc3, and I still have this problem with the
> non-commercial
> > license not being recognized.  Has this been addressed at all?  I looked
> in the
> > changelog http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/changelog-eap.txt, and I
> don't see
> > anything there.
> >
> >  Thanks.
> >

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: syntevo Support <[hidden email]>
> ------------------------------------
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Moshe,

Thanks for the steps. I now could reproduce. Please try Help|Check for Latest Build to get build 4112 which should fix this problem.

11/13/2014 07:00 - Moshe Katz [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Thomas,
>

> I tested again, and I still see this issue.  When I go to the "About" ->
> "License" screen, I see "Unlicensed (evaluation until Dec 13, 2014)".
>

> *Steps:*
>

>    1. Have a previous SmartGit 6.0 installation which used a non-commercial
>    license.
>    2. Upgrade SmartGit to 6.5 rc3.
>    3. Observe that it says "Unlicensed" in the "About" screen.
>    4. Close SmartGit, delete the "%appadata%\syntevo\smartgit\6.5"
>    directory, and reopen SmartGit.
>

> SmartGit imports the old profile from the "%appadata%\syntevo\smartgit\6"
> directory, but fails to read the license information from there.
>

> If I rename the old "...\4", "...\5", and "...\6" profile directories to
> "...\4.old", "...\5.old", and "...\6.old", then SmartGit can't find them so
> it creates a fresh profile and prompts me for the license type.  I then see
> "Unlicensed (for non-commercial use only)", which is what I expect.
> However, this leaves me without all of my saved repositories and
> credentials.
>

> Thanks,
> Moshe
>

> --
> Moshe Katz
> -- [hidden email]
> -- +1(301)867-3732
>

> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014 at 4:42 AM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> [smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > I'm sure I've fixed the problem with the non-commercial license that
> > occurred in 6.5 preview 1. What exact steps you did and what happened?

> > Thomas Singer
> >

> > 11/10/2014 10:40 - [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:
> >
> > > I just updated to rc3, and I still have this problem with the
> > non-commercial
> > > license not being recognized.  Has this been addressed at all?  I looked
> > in the
> > > changelog http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/changelog-eap.txt, and I
> > don't see
> > > anything there.
> > >
> > >  Thanks.
> > >

> > ------------------------------------
> > Posted by: syntevo Support <[hidden email]>

> > Yahoo Groups Links

Re: ANN: SmartGit 6.5 preview

SmartGit mailing list
I tested build #4112, and it does appear to work properly.

Thank you,
Moshe

--
Moshe Katz
-- [hidden email]

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 7:33 AM, syntevo Support [hidden email]