Ability to translate you application ?

alienquake@rocketmail.com
Hi,

Is there any way to translate you application ?

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

syntevo Support
Do you mean to internationalize to languages other than English? The answer is no.

12/26/2011 21:10 - [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to translate you application ?

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

alienquake@rocketmail.com
Do you have any plans to make it happen ? People will make translation for free.

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Do you mean to internationalize to languages other than English? The answer is no.

> 12/26/2011 21:10 - alienquake@... wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there any way to translate you application ?

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

syntevo Support
We don't yet have plans to internationalize SmartGit, because we think that a) the users likely understand English and b) it is much easier to understand documentation or contact other users if the GUI elements are named the same. For the same reason I prefer to use English operating system and other software instead of German one.

Just curious, what language you would be interested in?

> People will make translation for free.

I doubt that - at least not for a commercial application and/or in the required quality.

12/28/2011 21:40 - [hidden email] wrote:

> Do you have any plans to make it happen ? People will make translation for free.
>
> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > Do you mean to internationalize to languages other than English? The answer is no.

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >

> > 12/26/2011 21:10 - alienquake@... wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Is there any way to translate you application ?

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

alienquake@rocketmail.com
You have good point but look for example at "Visual Studio" - even such application have it's own language pack, even if majority of developers use English editions.

I interested translate SmartGit into Polish language and because i think that number of polish programmers will be small for you company to consider commercial-quality Polish translation, me and my friends want to translate it for free as "not official/3rd party" translation. You could still include it when it will reach an acceptable quality, just as Winamp developers did.

And please don't judge translation skills of other people by my week English.

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> We don't yet have plans to internationalize SmartGit, because we think that a) the users likely understand English and b) it is much easier to understand documentation or contact other users if the GUI elements are named the same. For the same reason I prefer to use English operating system and other software instead of German one.
>
> Just curious, what language you would be interested in?
>
> > People will make translation for free.
>
> I doubt that - at least not for a commercial application and/or in the required quality.

> 12/28/2011 21:40 - alienquake@... wrote:
>
> > Do you have any plans to make it happen ? People will make translation for free.
> >
> > --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you mean to internationalize to languages other than English? The answer is no.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > =============
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

syntevo Support
How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI? Would you prefer it over the English version?

01/02/2012 20:10 - [hidden email] wrote:

> You have good point but look for example at "Visual Studio" - even such
> application have it's own language pack, even if majority of developers use
> English editions.
>
> I interested translate SmartGit into Polish language and because i think that
> number of polish programmers will be small for you company to consider
> commercial-quality Polish translation, me and my friends want to translate it for
> free as "not official/3rd party" translation. You could still include it when it
> will reach an acceptable quality, just as Winamp developers did.
>
> And please don't judge translation skills of other people by my week English.
>

> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > We don't yet have plans to internationalize SmartGit, because we think that a) the users likely understand English and b) it is much easier to understand documentation or contact other users if the GUI elements are named the same. For the same reason I prefer to use English operating system and other software instead of German one.
> >
> > Just curious, what language you would be interested in?
> >
> > > People will make translation for free.
> >
> > I doubt that - at least not for a commercial application and/or in the required quality.

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >

> > 12/28/2011 21:40 - alienquake@... wrote:
> >
> > > Do you have any plans to make it happen ? People will make translation for free.

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

Nick Borrelli
I only speak English, but giving your customers additional functionality, such as being able to understand how to use the product, can only be a good thing J

-Nick

01/02/2012 20:10 - [hidden email] <mailto:alienquake%40rocketmail.com>  wrote:

> You have good point but look for example at "Visual Studio" - even such
> application have it's own language pack, even if majority of developers use
> English editions.
>
> I interested translate SmartGit into Polish language and because i think that
> number of polish programmers will be small for you company to consider
> commercial-quality Polish translation, me and my friends want to translate it for
> free as "not official/3rd party" translation. You could still include it when it
> will reach an acceptable quality, just as Winamp developers did.
>
> And please don't judge translation skills of other people by my week English.
>

> --- In [hidden email] <mailto:smartgit%40yahoogroups.com> , syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > We don't yet have plans to internationalize SmartGit, because we think that a) the users likely understand English and b) it is much easier to understand documentation or contact other users if the GUI elements are named the same. For the same reason I prefer to use English operating system and other software instead of German one.
> >
> > Just curious, what language you would be interested in?
> >
> > > People will make translation for free.
> >
> > I doubt that - at least not for a commercial application and/or in the required quality.

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >

> > 12/28/2011 21:40 - alienquake@... wrote:
> >
> > > Do you have any plans to make it happen ? People will make translation for free.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6764 (20120103) __________

http://www.eset.com

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

Norbert Nemec
I fear that for anything related to GIT, translation is quite dangerous:

Learning to use GIT involves learning many new concepts that are linked
to specific English terms. Translating these terms to any non-English
language makes communication extremely difficult.

Any kind of partial translation that keeps these terms in English while
translating general terms in the GUI might be possible, but in my
experience, such a GUI typically so awkward to use that most users
quickly return to the English GUI.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

Jens Mühlenhoff
Am 03.01.2012 17:20, schrieb syntevo Support:
> How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI? Would
> you prefer it over the English version?

I think that it's a good idea, our company uses as much localized tools
as possible (the opposite way your doing it apparently) though we all
understand English quite well.

If you don't have the resources to provide high quality translation you
could at least provide a "language file" type of solution like many
tools do.

Let people make their own translations and maybe add a "3rd party
translations" section to your website where people can submit them like
OP suggests.

That would be a nice enhancement though it shouldn't be a high priority,
since most (but not all) Git users are programmers anyway and
programmers tend to understand English.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Mühlenhoff - Programmierer / Abtlg. Entwicklung & Support

A C C U R A T A - Informationssysteme GmbH
Lerchenkamp 11, D-31137 Hildesheim
Tel.: +49 5121 / 20 66 066 | http://www.accurata.com
Fax.: +49 5121 / 20 66 068 | [hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hildesheim, Handelsregister - HRB 2586
Geschäftsführer: Maico M. Friedrich

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

fmazerolle
> How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI?

I would like a FRENCH version, but I would keep the commands as they are, since they are commands.

For example, I would translate "merge" to "fusionner (merge)".

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

syntevo Support
> For example, I would translate "merge" to "fusionner (merge)".

What would be the benefit?

01/04/2012 15:10 - fmazerolle_it wrote:

> > How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI?
>
> I would like a FRENCH version, but I would keep the commands as they are, since
> they are commands.
>
> For example, I would translate "merge" to "fusionner (merge)".

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

fmazerolle
Hehe, in that case, nothing. Except for very new user who doesn't know the basic of GIT yet. But I guess 100% of the applications strings are not commands that we see in the git --help ;)

But that translation would not disturb me when I search to do a "merge" ( the english term that I'm familiar with )

However, the translations would be useful for other type of strings:
- the descriptive one;
- the one that are specific to SmartGit
- all the term that are not part of the git --help
- and even to understand the git --help commands. ( Ho... so a "merge" mean "fusionner"... )

Like theses are some strings that gave me trouble at first :
- "Branch starting with the selected commit ( prepares a merge-commit; may be 'squashed' when committing )"
- "If possible, just move the branch pointer forward (fast-forward)"
- "Discard"
- etc.

And see the 2nd string I've copied, even in the english translation, you already apply my advice of specifying the command : "(fast-forward)". So I'm not suggesting anything new.

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> > For example, I would translate "merge" to "fusionner (merge)".
>
> What would be the benefit?

> 01/04/2012 15:10 - fmazerolle_it wrote:
>
> > > How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI?
> >
> > I would like a FRENCH version, but I would keep the commands as they are, since
> > they are commands.
> >
> > For example, I would translate "merge" to "fusionner (merge)".

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

Alexander Golyshkin

For me it doesnt matter, but well programmed software always has ability to translate it!

Regards,
Alexander Golyshkin

03.01.2012, × 19:20, syntevo Support <[hidden email]> ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ(Á):

> How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI? Would you prefer it over the English version?

> 01/02/2012 20:10 - [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > You have good point but look for example at "Visual Studio" - even such
> > application have it's own language pack, even if majority of developers use
> > English editions.
> >
> > I interested translate SmartGit into Polish language and because i think that
> > number of polish programmers will be small for you company to consider
> > commercial-quality Polish translation, me and my friends want to translate it for
> > free as "not official/3rd party" translation. You could still include it when it
> > will reach an acceptable quality, just as Winamp developers did.
> >
> > And please don't judge translation skills of other people by my week English.
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> > >
> > > We don't yet have plans to internationalize SmartGit, because we think that a) the users likely understand English and b) it is much easier to understand documentation or contact other users if the GUI elements are named the same. For the same reason I prefer to use English operating system and other software instead of German one.
> > >
> > > Just curious, what language you would be interested in?

> > > I doubt that - at least not for a commercial application and/or in the required quality.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > =============
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

Alexander Golyshkin

Funny! May be do u want to change all languages like C/C++ and APIs to domestic? ;) GIT API should be original to avoid of misunderstanding problems between partners!

Regards,
Alexander Golyshkin

04.01.2012, × 17:30, syntevo Support <[hidden email]> ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ(Á):

Am 05.01.12 08:20, schrieb Alexander Golyshkin:
> Hi,
>
> For me it doesnt matter, but well programmed software always has ability to translate it!

That statement is a bit too general for my taste.

I agree that a new software project should typically consider
internationalization right from the start. Done correctly from the very
beginning, it means negligible overhead and there is little reason to do
without.

Converting lateron, on the other hand, is means a certain effort that
has to be estimated, weighed against the benefit and prioritized.

Since programmers typically have sufficient passive English knowledge to
find their way around an English GUI, translatability is a nice-to-have
but seems rather low priority to me.

Apart from all that: a GUI translation to any language that has the
quality that one can use it without screaming in pain typically takes
significant effort. Don't underestimate the effort to find *just the
right term* to express each menu entry or label.

Typically, a good translation of the documentation is much easier and
far more valuable.

> Regards,
> Alexander Golyshkin
>
> 03.01.2012, × 19:20, syntevo Support<[hidden email]>  ÎÁÐÉÓÁÌ(Á):
>
>> How other SmartGit users think about providing a translated GUI? Would you prefer it over the English version?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas Singer
>> =============
>> syntevo GmbH
>> http://www.syntevo.com
>> http://blog.syntevo.com
>>
>> 01/02/2012 20:10 - [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> You have good point but look for example at "Visual Studio" - even such
>>> application have it's own language pack, even if majority of developers use
>>> English editions.
>>>
>>> I interested translate SmartGit into Polish language and because i think that
>>> number of polish programmers will be small for you company to consider
>>> commercial-quality Polish translation, me and my friends want to translate it for
>>> free as "not official/3rd party" translation. You could still include it when it
>>> will reach an acceptable quality, just as Winamp developers did.
>>>
>>> And please don't judge translation skills of other people by my week English.

Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Ability to translate you application ?

Did you reply to the correct message?