Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
So I'm using SmartGit v 6.0.7 on Linux Mint 17 KDE.

In the last day or 2 SmartGit started asking to configure the master password and then for the ssh key password every time I start it up and pull.

I vaguely recall some recent ssh updates on my system that I suspect caused this, but I'm unsure how to fix it as I'm unclear what might cause SmartGit to "forget" that I had already configured a master password and the passwords for authenticating various remote repositories.

Any ideas on how I fix this?

Mike

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Mike,

Do I understand you correctly: each time you start SmartGit and access your repository, SmartGit asks you to *configure* the master password (you need to type it twice in the same dialog) and asks for the credentials?

> So I'm using SmartGit v 6.0.7 on Linux Mint 17 KDE.
>
> In the last day or 2 SmartGit started asking to configure the master password and
> then for the ssh key password every time I start it up and pull.
>
> I vaguely recall some recent ssh updates on my system that I suspect caused this,
> but I'm unsure how to fix it as I'm unclear what might cause SmartGit to "forget"
> that I had already configured a master password and the passwords for
> authenticating various remote repositories.
>
> Any ideas on how I fix this?
>
> Mike

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
That's correct.

And I just double-checked. I closed SmartGit. Then relaunched it, did a pull on a repo that requires authentication and it asked to configure the master password again.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

Also to be clear, this is brand new behavior, SmartGit has acted exactly as I'd expect it to (configure the master password once) since I first installed it, and I installed in in this updated Linux Mint 17 KDE probably back in June.

Since I didn't get an updated SmartGit in the last week (not sure when I got 6.0.7 but it was a while ago), I suspect recent system updates. The problem is I don't know where to look to figure this out and fix it.

Thanks.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

This sounds like SmartGit has not been exited correctly and hence not written the settings on shutdown.

> That's correct.
>
> And I just double-checked. I closed SmartGit. Then relaunched it, did a pull on a
> repo that requires authentication and it asked to configure the master password
> again.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
Where would those settings be written, so I can look?

And I've been exiting as I always do, by clicking on the close button in the upper right corner.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
Actually, looking at my update history I’m wondering if it is being caused by this update from 10/23/2014:
 package old version new version openjdk-7-jre 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04 7u71-2.5.3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 openjdk-7-jre-headless 7u65-2.5.2-3~14.04 7u71-2.5.3-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 ​

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit's settings on Linux are saved in ~/.smartgit/6/. Does it make a difference if you exit SmartGit using Repository|Exit (Alt+X)?

> Where would those settings be written, so I can look?
>
> And I've been exiting as I always do, by clicking on the close button in the upper
> right corner.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
No difference.
In the ~/.smartgit/6/ folder I see a credentials.xml and a passwords.corrupt file which have a timestamp of right now when I restarted SmartGit and configured the master password and entered the password for my ssh key again. I don’t see any passwords file. Should I?
 ​

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
So I tried removing all authentication credentials, closing smartgit, starting it, setting a master password but still w/ no credentials. closing smartgit, start smartgit, pull from a repo that requires ssh key password, smartgit asks for ssh key password, completes the pull, never asks for master password. Close smartgit, start it again, pull this same repo, it pulls w/o asking for either master password or ssh password, as though I never set a master password. But in this case it correctly remembered the ssh password.

That's where I'm at, not sure what to do from here, perhaps send you a log file? I don't want to post the log here.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
Please try SmartGit 6.5 preview from

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access

fetch the latest build using Help|Check for Latest Build. If the problem is reproducible, please send ~/.smartgit/6.5/log.txt to [hidden email]. Thanks in advance.

SmartGit mailing list
This still happens in the 6.5 preview, I've emailed the log file.

Re: Asking to configure master password every time smartgit is started

SmartGit mailing list
After Thomas asked me to confirm setting the password,I tried one more time w/ the latest build [6.5 preview 8 (build #4093)] and this problem seems to be fixed there. It does still happen in 6.0.7.