Blame left/right directly from merge tool (feature request)

Blame left/right directly from merge tool (feature request)

SmartGit mailing list
Dear SG development team,

When performing a merge in projects with many developers, it is common to
have conflicts in which it is not so clear which of the modifications have
to be accepted. To decide about one (or a mix) of them, I typically open
the blame tool to check the purpose (last commit) of each implementation.

It would be very handy if we could access the Blame tool directly from the
Merge window. I thought about a new button that would call the Blame tool
positioning it ("View commit" field) at the commit of the file on the left
or on the right (maybe the interface have to ask which commit should be
opened).

Moreover, ideally, the "Highlight" would be defined as "Changes since" and
the "Commit" field would point to the first common parent of left and right
versions of the file. In this way, all changes since the files branched out
would be highlighted.

Do you think it would be possible to extend SG in such way?

Regards,
Luiz

Re: Blame left/right directly from merge tool (feature request)

SmartGit mailing list
> When performing a merge in projects with many developers, it is common to
> have conflicts in which it is not so clear which of the modifications have
> to be accepted. To decide about one (or a mix) of them, I typically open
> the blame tool to check the purpose (last commit) of each implementation.
>
> It would be very handy if we could access the Blame tool directly from the
> Merge window.

I don't think we will support blame from within the Conflict Solver, however we have plans to allow easy access to the merge base content (compare left - base - right instead of left - result - right) which might be what you are looking for.

08/29/2014 19:30 - Luiz Carlos da Costa Junior [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Dear SG development team,
>
> When performing a merge in projects with many developers, it is common to
> have conflicts in which it is not so clear which of the modifications have
> to be accepted. To decide about one (or a mix) of them, I typically open
> the blame tool to check the purpose (last commit) of each implementation.
>
> It would be very handy if we could access the Blame tool directly from the
> Merge window. I thought about a new button that would call the Blame tool
> positioning it ("View commit" field) at the commit of the file on the left
> or on the right (maybe the interface have to ask which commit should be
> opened).
>
> Moreover, ideally, the "Highlight" would be defined as "Changes since" and
> the "Commit" field would point to the first common parent of left and right
> versions of the file. In this way, all changes since the files branched out
> would be highlighted.
>
> Do you think it would be possible to extend SG in such way?
>
> Regards,
> Luiz

Re: Blame left/right directly from merge tool (feature request)

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Marc, thanks for your reply.

I am happy that you are planning something about this.
I am sure that you will come up with a better solution.

Regards, Luiz