Can some labels be added so I know which side is before and which is after

Can some labels be added so I know which side is before and which is after

kevincam
When I click on a commit in the log view of a branch in the split screen I can never remember if what's on the left is how it was before or if it's the after. It would be nice to have something that identifies this so I don't have to try and figure  it out. by looking at the file even earlier before that particular commit

Re: Can some labels be added so I know which side is before and which is after

syntevo Support
Left is older, right is newer. Isn't that the common sense for left-to-right languages?

07/24/2013 17:10 - kevincam33 wrote:

> When I click on a commit in the log view of a branch in the split screen I can
> never remember if what's on the left is how it was before or if it's the after. It
> would be nice to have something that identifies this so I don't have to try and
> figure  it out. by looking at the file even earlier before that particular commit

Re: Can some labels be added so I know which side is before and which is after

kevincam
Nothing is really common sense when you work with other programs as well. It might make sense in this program, but I'm sure everyobody uses other programs as well so it's not likely that we can guess that in SmartGit, in the log file area, they use LTR language. This still involves making assumptions and I prefer to just know at a glance since adding a label doesn't seem like a major undertaking. So that's may argument for adding the labels. Is there an argument for not adding the two identification labels "Old" and "New" or maybe "Older" and "Newer" or could be something else?

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Left is older, right is newer. Isn't that the common sense for left-to-right languages?

> 07/24/2013 17:10 - kevincam33 wrote:
>
> > When I click on a commit in the log view of a branch in the split screen I can
> > never remember if what's on the left is how it was before or if it's the after. It
> > would be nice to have something that identifies this so I don't have to try and
> > figure  it out. by looking at the file even earlier before that particular commit

Re: Can some labels be added so I know which side is before and which is after

Guy Rouillier-2
I'm looking at two windows: one is the main SmartGit window, and the
second is a Log window.  In the main window, over the left half of the
diff section is a tab that says "Changes for build.properties (Index vs.
Working Tree).  That's pretty clear to me that index is on the left and
Working Tree is on the right.

In the Log window, the tab over the left half of the diff section says
"Changes of build.properties".  That is a little less clear, though as
Thomas says, because English is my native tongue, I naturally read left
to right, so I would assume newer is on the right.

Seems like this could be a little clearer.  First, the diff section
should always identify what is being compared, that is, what is on the
left and what is on the right.  I may want to compare two tagged
versions or two commits, so "older" and "newer" is too vague.  I'd
suggest renaming the tab in the diff section to just "Diff", and then
using the remainder of the gray separator bar to provide helpful
information.  Perhaps the middle could contain the name of the file;
centered over the left window could be the version in that window
(commit or tag), and centered over the right window could be the version
in that window.

Just an idea.

--
Guy Rouillier

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Can some labels be added so I know which side is before and which is after

Ben Vesco
Personally, when digging through history and bringing up diffs between
arbitrary branches and merges I've always got to spend the first 10-15
seconds deciphering which side represents which things. I'd sure like to
have all that time back.