Conflict resolver inconsistent ours and theirs

Conflict resolver inconsistent ours and theirs

Guy Rouillier-2
I got bit by Conflict Resolver today.  There appears to be an
inconsistency in how "ours" and "theirs" is defined.  I attempted to
push some changes to a central bare repo, and was informed that it
failed.  So, I did a pull and got some conflicts.

I double-clicked the file in conflict, and up popped the Conflict
Resolver.  "Ours" was on the left, and contained my local version;
"theirs" was on the right, and contained the version from the central
repo.  So far, everything is fine.

I wanted my version to completely replace the central version.  So, I
exited Conflict Resolver.  I then right-clicked the file, and this time
selected "Resolve...".  In the resulting dialog, I selected "ours."  To
my chagrin, the result was to replace my local file with the contents
from the central repo!  So, it looks like Conflict Resolver and Resolve
have opposite meaning for "ours" vs. "theirs".  That's obviously very bad.

To make matters worse, I couldn't find a way to undo this action.
Fortunately, my local changes weren't that extensive, so I made the
changes again and then committed them.

--
Guy Rouillier

---

Re: Conflict resolver inconsistent ours and theirs

syntevo Support
Hi Guy,

To what SmartGit version you refer? For version 6 we made some changes.

05/01/2014 02:40 - Guy Rouillier wrote:

> I got bit by Conflict Resolver today.  There appears to be an
> inconsistency in how "ours" and "theirs" is defined.  I attempted to
> push some changes to a central bare repo, and was informed that it
> failed.  So, I did a pull and got some conflicts.
>
> I double-clicked the file in conflict, and up popped the Conflict
> Resolver.  "Ours" was on the left, and contained my local version;
> "theirs" was on the right, and contained the version from the central
> repo.  So far, everything is fine.
>
> I wanted my version to completely replace the central version.  So, I
> exited Conflict Resolver.  I then right-clicked the file, and this time
> selected "Resolve...".  In the resulting dialog, I selected "ours."  To
> my chagrin, the result was to replace my local file with the contents
> from the central repo!  So, it looks like Conflict Resolver and Resolve
> have opposite meaning for "ours" vs. "theirs".  That's obviously very bad.
>
> To make matters worse, I couldn't find a way to undo this action.
> Fortunately, my local changes weren't that extensive, so I made the
> changes again and then committed them.
>
> --
> Guy Rouillier
>
> ---
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is
> active.

Re: Conflict resolver inconsistent ours and theirs

Guy Rouillier-2
I'm running version 6 preview 8 (build #3074).  Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---