Create a branch off a feature branch in GitFlow?

Create a branch off a feature branch in GitFlow?

SmartGit mailing list
I'm using GitFlow and working on a feature branch at the moment, but want
to create a branch off that.  However, I'm unable to accomplish that.

Given a feature branch:
   feature/ProviderContracts

If I try to create a new feature branch, it will fork off the develop
branch.  This is not what I want; I want to fork off the
feature/ProviderContracts branch.

So instead, I go to Branch->Add Branch
   feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId

This is the error message I get:

Add Branch: 'refs/heads/feature/Provider' exists; cannot create
'refs/heads/feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId'
 $ git branch --no-track feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId
'refs/heads/feature/ProviderContracts' exists; cannot create
'refs/heads/feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId'

So instead, I have to create a non-feature branch just called TokenId.  But
the nomenclature is off then.

I've tried from the command line and get the same error.

Is this a Git limitation, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Eric

RE: Create a branch off a feature branch in GitFlow?

SmartGit mailing list
This is a limitation of the underlying filesystem.   Basically you cannot have a file in a directory namespd feature called ProviderContracts (feature/ProviderContracts) at the same time as a directory named "ProviderContracts",under a directory named "feature".

The "ProviderContracts" collides on your filesystem because you're trying to treat it as a file and as a directory at the same time..   This is not a git issue or a SmartGit issue.   Its an underlying filesystem choice issue.

The topic is commonly referenced as "files as directories" and pretty much no filesystem or OS out there really strongly supports the concept.

Just rename your branch and stop torturing yourself :-)

I'm using GitFlow and working on a feature branch at the moment, but want to create a branch off that.  However, I'm unable to accomplish that.

Given a feature branch:
   feature/ProviderContracts

If I try to create a new feature branch, it will fork off the develop branch.  This is not what I want; I want to fork off the feature/ProviderContracts branch.

So instead, I go to Branch->Add Branch
   feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId

This is the error message I get:

Add Branch: 'refs/heads/feature/Provider' exists; cannot create 'refs/heads/feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId'
$ git branch --no-track feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId
'refs/heads/feature/ProviderContracts' exists; cannot create 'refs/heads/feature/ProviderContracts/TokenId'

So instead, I have to create a non-feature branch just called TokenId.  But the nomenclature is off then.

I've tried from the command line and get the same error.

Is this a Git limitation, or is there something I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Eric

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

RE: Create a branch off a feature branch in GitFlow?

SmartGit mailing list
Corrected email.  The first email had a typo and was confusing.

This is a limitation of the underlying filesystem.   Basically you cannot have a file in a directory named feature with file name of ProviderContracts (feature/ProviderContracts) at the same time as a directory named "ProviderContracts", under a directory named "feature" that contains a file named TokenId.

The "ProviderContracts" collides on your filesystem because you're trying to treat it as a file and as a directory at the same time..   This is not a git issue or a SmartGit issue.   Its an underlying filesystem choice issue.

The topic is commonly referenced as "files as directories" and pretty much no filesystem or OS out there really strongly supports the concept.

Just rename your branch and stop torturing yourself :-)

Re: Create a branch off a feature branch in GitFlow?

Thanks for the explanation.  So basically my best bet the is to name my sub
branch something like feature/ProviderContacrs_/TokenId.

I'll try that out.

Thanks,

Eric