Create local branch using a tag?

 I'm trying out smartgit.

 I have a remote svn repository, which the instructions said to clone. That took a while and now occupies about 5GB of local storage. (I would prefer to use the original remote repository as the remote repository.)

 What I want is to create a local repository of a tagged release in order to work with that version of the source. I see a list of Tags under Branches. I want to create a local repo using one of the tags. How do I do that?

 I've been scouring the online doc and the mail list archives, but decided to stop for a moment to write this question before continuing. It seems like it ought to be a straightforward operation but perhaps I'm not looking at the problem the right way.

 Thanks,

 -Mike

Re: Create local branch using a tag?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Mike,

In the branches view of SmartGit 6.5 you may double-click the tag. This will show a dialog where you can enter the name of the new branch.

> Hi,
>

>  I'm trying out smartgit.
>

>  I have a remote svn repository, which the instructions said to clone. That took a
> while and now occupies about 5GB of local storage. (I would prefer to use the
> original remote repository as the remote repository.)
>

>  What I want is to create a local repository of a tagged release in order to work
> with that version of the source. I see a list of Tags under Branches. I want to
> create a local repo using one of the tags. How do I do that?
>

>  I've been scouring the online doc and the mail list archives, but decided to stop
> for a moment to write this question before continuing. It seems like it ought to
> be a straightforward operation but perhaps I'm not looking at the problem the
> right way.
>

>  Thanks,
>

>  -Mike

Re: Create local branch using a tag?

SmartGit mailing list
Okay, interesting. That's one of the things I tried (obviously) in
6.0.7. After sending the inquiry below, I was able to set up a clone
repo on my laptop, open what I think is a branch detail window of the
cloned repo, and then clicked on a checkbox next to the desired tag in
the branches pane, and the repo took on the attributes of that tagged
release.

I'm coming from using sourcetree for several months, and attempting to
use tower for a couple hours, for this. I find having smartgit's two
heavily-paned windows to navigate repos, branches and commits to be much
too highly dependent on the size of my monitor being brobdignagian.
However, it seems to work, an overriding factor.

-Mike