Define which .gitignore will be used

SmartGit mailing list
If you need ignore some file or folder, you have the option "Ignore...". But it create a local .gitignore file, and generally I use it on root. Will be really great if user can choice if will ignore locally or on root directory.

 Example:
 /modules/site/publics/reports/user.csv <ignore...>
 If I just right-click and ignore it, show options like:
 Ignore on root: will ignore selected file on root project directory .gitignore (create it, if need).
/modules/site/publics/reports/*.csv on /.gitignore Ignore locally: will ignore selected file on local directory (create it, if need).
*.csv on /modules/site/publics/reports/.gitignore Other option is create a select or a slider, that will contain all possible paths until current one:
 Ignore from: [root] / modules / site / publics / reports

Re: Define which .gitignore will be used

SmartGit mailing list
I agree but I would like to have this option in per-project basis, rather than per-file basis.  A property of each project, mayge?

Ken

On 2015/03/25 22:32, [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> If you need ignore some file or folder, you have the option "Ignore...". But it create a local .gitignore file, and generally I use it on root. Will be really great if user can choice if will ignore locally or on root directory.
>
> Example:
>
>     /modules/site/publics/reports/user.csv <ignore...>
>
> If I just right-click and ignore it, show options like:
>
>   * Ignore on root: will ignore selected file on root project directory .gitignore (create it, if need).
>     /modules/site/publics/reports/*.csv on /.gitignore
>   * Ignore locally: will ignore selected file on local directory (create it, if need).
>     *.csv on /modules/site/publics/reports/.gitignore
>
> Other option is create a select or a slider, that will contain all possible paths until current one:
>
>   * Ignore from: [root] / modules / site / publics / reports

Re: Define which .gitignore will be used

> If you need ignore some file or folder, you have the option "Ignore...". But it
> create a local .gitignore file, and generally I use it on root. Will be really
> great if user can choice if will ignore locally or on root directory.

I'm not sure on the option, but what would you think of SmartGit choosing the "nearest" .gitignore and adding the pattern there? If there is only a root .gitignore, then the pattern will be added there. If there is no .gitignore at all, a new .gitignore file will be created.

> If you need ignore some file or folder, you have the option "Ignore...". But it
> create a local .gitignore file, and generally I use it on root. Will be really
> great if user can choice if will ignore locally or on root directory.
>

>  Example:
>  /modules/site/publics/reports/user.csv <ignore...>
>  If I just right-click and ignore it, show options like:
>  Ignore on root: will ignore selected file on root project directory .gitignore
> (create it, if need).
> /modules/site/publics/reports/*.csv on /.gitignore Ignore locally: will ignore
> selected file on local directory (create it, if need).
> *.csv on /modules/site/publics/reports/.gitignore Other option is create a select
> or a slider, that will contain all possible paths until current one:
>  Ignore from: [root] / modules / site / publics / reports

Re: Define which .gitignore will be used

SmartGit mailing list
I think that show previously where will be applied is a good idea, based on the nearest .gitignore file (if none, root).

 On future, could support that user defines where will be saved (in an advanced option, to not overflow).