Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

MKindel
Did you ever look at the diff view ("Changes of <objectname>" window) of an updated submodule reference?
It only shows that reference commit-id 123456 was changed to commit-id abcdef.

That really is a bit terse. To know what these commit-ids mean one has to look up the details of them in the Log of the referenced submodule... That gets a bit tedious when stepping through some diffs.

It would be really great when SmartGit could do this lookup internally and show the details information (commit-msg, committer, parents, children, ...; everything the 'details' view shows for a commit) of the two commit ids directly in the diff view.

A nice additional touch would be to show how many commits the two references are apart, similar to the "2> <20" info shown for the branches.

Bye
Michael

Using SmartGit 5.0.9 on Windows 7 64bit
Previewing SmartGit 6 RC1

Re: Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Michael,

This seems like a good idea. Hence I've added it to our issue tracker (SG-8418).

05/12/2014 11:50 - MKindel [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Did you ever look at the diff view ("Changes of <objectname>" window) of an
> updated submodule *reference*?
> It only shows that reference commit-id 123456 was changed to commit-id
> abcdef.
>

> That really is a bit terse. To know what these commit-ids mean one has to
> look up the details of them in the Log of the referenced submodule... That
> gets a bit tedious when stepping through some diffs.
>

> It would be really great when SmartGit could do this lookup internally and
> show the details information (commit-msg, committer, parents, children, ...;
> everything the 'details' view shows for a commit) of the two commit ids
> directly in the diff view.
>

> A nice additional touch would be to show how many commits the two references
> are apart, similar to the "2> <20" info shown for the branches.
>

> Bye
> Michael
>

> Using SmartGit 5.0.9 on Windows 7 64bit
> Previewing SmartGit 6 RC1

Re: Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

MKindel
Would you give an status update on this feature?
Is it scheduled?
If yes, could you give me some approximate time frame when you expect it?

Re: Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

WORMSS
I love this idea. Not sure why I hadn't thought of this type of thing with the sheer amount of submodule stiff I get though a day.

Re: Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

MKindel
WORMSS wrote
:) It's one of those things that really looks kind of obvious, AFTER it is first suggested.

Re: Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

Hi Michael,

No, this feature is not scheduled for the next SmartGit version. A quick look to the issue tracker reveals 640 open issues, so we need to prioritize.

01/02/2015 15:30 - MKindel [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Would you give an status update on this feature?
> Is it scheduled?
> If yes, could you give me some approximate time frame when you expect it?

Re: Diff view of submodule reference should show more details

WORMSS
Another thing to consider when dealing with this would be that a commit SHA might not exist on the remote and be only local. Or worse the commit no longer exists anywhere do to branch removal.
(These being the most annoying and hardest to track down problems I can have at work).