Fastforward Merge only available when switching branches why not when doing right-click merge

Fastforward Merge only available when switching branches why not when doing right-click merge

SmartGit mailing list
I do a fetch then switch to the log to see what changes have occurred prior to doing a merge. Once I'm ready to merge all the changes I right click on the branch and select merge, if I'm already on the branch I get the option to fast-forward but if I'm not on the branch and I right click on another branch that has changes to merge I don't get the "Fast-forward" option. However if I double click that branch to switch to it, I get the "Fast-forward" option.

 I would be nice to be able to right click and always get the "Fast-forward" option instead of having to switch to all the branches to do it.

Re: Fastforward Merge only available when switching branches why not when doing right-click m [...]

SmartGit mailing list
> I do a fetch then switch to the log to see what changes have occurred prior to
> doing a merge. Once I'm ready to merge all the changes I right click on the branch
> and select merge, if I'm already on the branch I get the option to fast-forward
> but if I'm not on the branch and I right click on another branch that has changes
> to merge I don't get the "Fast-forward" option. However if I double click that
> branch to switch to it, I get the "Fast-forward" option.

There are several conditions when fast-forward is possible and when not. Can you please post a screenshot showing your repository state and giving details on when you'd expect to have "fast-forward" option available and when it's not there?

SmartGit mailing list
It's not that I can't fast-forward, it's just that I have to switch to that branch to do it. I would be nice to be able to just right click, select merge and it be in the box that pops up as an option. It's never there under any circumstances.

Re: Fastforward Merge only available when switching branches why not when doing right-click m [...]

SmartGit mailing list
> It's not that I can't fast-forward, it's just that I have to switch to that branch
> to do it. I would be nice to be able to just right click, select merge and it be
> in the box that pops up as an option. It's never there under any circumstances.

Did you already give version 6.5 a try? It contains a new external tool "Forward Merge" which will move the local branch pointer to the same commit as the tracked branch (if fast-forward).

> It's not that I can't fast-forward, it's just that I have to switch to that branch
> to do it. I would be nice to be able to just right click, select merge and it be
> in the box that pops up as an option. It's never there under any circumstances.

Re: Fastforward Merge only available when switching branches why not when doing right-click m [...]

SmartGit mailing list
I have not tried version 6.5. I will give it a try.

Re: Fastforward Merge only available when switching branches why not when doing right-click merge

SmartGit mailing list
I just wanted to close this loop and say that in 6.5 this is no longer an issue, after right clicking there is a link "Fast-Forward Merge" thanks for this added feature.