Feature: Ignore Patterns

waltw87
Hi,

I am using SmartGit in a C# project and yes it's easy enough to manually create a .gitignore file in my root directory and add whatever patterns I like to it, but it would be nice if SmartGit provided a means of interacting with (add, edit, remove) ignored file patterns in a directory and that directory's children (as .gitignore is recursive) through the right-click context menu in the "Directories" section of the GUI.

Thanks,
-Walt

Re: Feature: Ignore Patterns

syntevo Support
Hi Walt,

> it would be nice if SmartGit provided a means of interacting with
> (add, edit, remove) ignored file patterns in a directory and that
> directory's children (as .gitignore is recursive) through the right-click
> context menu in the "Directories" section of the GUI.

We decided to let the Ignore command do only basic stuff. For more advanced
stuff editing the .gitignore file manually seems the better choice.

"waltw87" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am using SmartGit in a C# project and yes it's easy enough to manually
> create a .gitignore file in my root directory and add whatever patterns I like
> to it, but it would be nice if SmartGit provided a means of interacting with
> (add, edit, remove) ignored file patterns in a directory and that directory's
> children (as .gitignore is recursive) through the right-click context menu in
> the "Directories" section of the GUI.
>
> Thanks,
> -Walt

Re: Feature: Ignore Patterns

waltw87
Hi Thomas,

Sounds good, but I would like to add one snippet --

Perhaps the current "Ignore" dialog should mention the directory(ies) affected and that child directories will also be ignoring files matching the criteria (Since .gitignore is recursive, this applies to both Exact and Pattern matches).  Since the Smart* suite of tools show all files in a flat list (which, btw, is one of the things I really like about them), it can be hard to see which directories are affected by an ignore command.

And on a related note, perhaps you could still add the "Ignore Pattern.." option to the context menu of the Directories objects; it would just be a very handy (and useful) shortcut (right click root, ignore *.user for instance).

Thanks for all of Syntevo's hard work :)
-Walt

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Hi Walt,
>
> > it would be nice if SmartGit provided a means of interacting with
> > (add, edit, remove) ignored file patterns in a directory and that
> > directory's children (as .gitignore is recursive) through the right-click
> > context menu in the "Directories" section of the GUI.
>
> We decided to let the Ignore command do only basic stuff. For more advanced
> stuff editing the .gitignore file manually seems the better choice.

> "waltw87" <waltw87@...> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am using SmartGit in a C# project and yes it's easy enough to manually
> > create a .gitignore file in my root directory and add whatever patterns I like
> > to it, but it would be nice if SmartGit provided a means of interacting with
> > (add, edit, remove) ignored file patterns in a directory and that directory's
> > children (as .gitignore is recursive) through the right-click context menu in
> > the "Directories" section of the GUI.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Walt

Re: Re: Feature: Ignore Patterns

syntevo Support
> Perhaps the current "Ignore" dialog should mention the directory(ies)
> affected and that child directories will also be ignoring files matching
> the criteria (Since .gitignore is recursive, this applies to both Exact and

Just to mention: With milestone 6, SmartSVN now generates non-recursively
applied patterns (i.e. with leading '/').

> And on a related note, perhaps you could still add the "Ignore Pattern.."
> option to the context menu of the Directories objects; it would just be a
> very handy (and useful) shortcut (right click root, ignore *.user for
> instance).

I've added this feature to the RFE list.