Feature Request - Cherry Pick Diff

waltw87
Hello again,

It would be exceedingly useful if Cherry Pick displayed more information (Or perhaps double clicking a revision displayed a new dialog with more information) about the revision being cherry picked (Similar to the standard log view).

Thanks,
-Walt

Re: Feature Request - Cherry Pick Diff

syntevo Support
> It would be exceedingly useful if Cherry Pick displayed more information (Or
> perhaps double clicking a revision displayed a new dialog with more
> information) about the revision being cherry picked (Similar to the standard
> log view).

We want to keep the view simple and concentrated only on the commit to pick.
But maybe a tooltip would be helpful? On the other hand we have plans to
improve the Log frame by features like cherry-pick, etc. Working from the Log
would be an alternate approach to working from the working tree.

"waltw87" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> It would be exceedingly useful if Cherry Pick displayed more information (Or
> perhaps double clicking a revision displayed a new dialog with more
> information) about the revision being cherry picked (Similar to the standard
> log view).
>
> Thanks,
> -Walt

Re: Feature Request - Cherry Pick Diff

waltw87
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I can appreciate a view being simple, but I would like to point out that the Cherry Pick window DOES display the log.  Except at the moment it's a stripped down version.  I trust Syntevo's judgement on the matter, but please consider the following:

Suppose I have two branches that are different editions of my product.  There is good reason for them being separate branches - I do not want to merge them, but they do have a lot of shared code and I do want to share patches between the two branches.

Now, when I go to the log screen, I think "I am looking at the history of this branch to see where we have been."  But when I go to the cherry pick screen, I think "I am looking at a different branch's list of patches, and would like to pull in one or several of those patches into my branch."

To me, there is a keen difference, and it would be very useful for the cherry pick screen to be fully-featured and allow one or several cherry picks.  I suppose the big problem with multiple picks would be if one of the cherry picks does not merge nicely, and some conflict resolution is required; but the default next commit message could just be a digest of all commits cherry picked.

Thanks for your time,
-Walt