Feature request: ability to set execute permission

Feature request: ability to set execute permission

Eugene Kashpureff
I have been running up against a problem when creating new files with SmartGit, in that Windows(and thus, git and SmartGit) does not have any concept of the UNIX "execute" permission. New files end up created without this flag set, which causes problems when I deploy them on a Linux server. Existing files work as expected, because the windows git binary does not change this flag, it simply assumes that it is off.

I am able to correct it via git-bash, using "git update-index --chmod=+x -- foo/bar.txt". SmartGit does not recognize this as being a change(there is no diff), so the commit must be created from the CLI.

I would like to request a way to be able to set/remove this flag from within SmartGit, on new files or existing ones. A button/toggle within the "Index Editor" seems like a good place to put it.

Take Care,

--Eugene

Re: Feature request: ability to set execute permission

syntevo Support
> I am able to correct it via git-bash, using "git update-index --chmod=+x --
> foo/bar.txt". SmartGit does not recognize this as being a change(there is no
> diff), so the commit must be created from the CLI.

I can't confirm that: after executing "git update-index ...", "git status" as well as SmartGit (after a Refresh) show the file as modified. Tested with SmartGit 3.0.9, msysgit 1.7.10

> I would like to request a way to be able to set/remove this flag from within
> SmartGit, on new files or existing ones. A button/toggle within the "Index
> Editor" seems like a good place to put it.

I've added this to the RFE list.

08/09/2012 21:50 - Eugene Kashpureff wrote:

> I have been running up against a problem when creating new files with SmartGit, in
> that Windows(and thus, git and SmartGit) does not have any concept of the UNIX
> "execute" permission. New files end up created without this flag set, which causes
> problems when I deploy them on a Linux server. Existing files work as expected,
> because the windows git binary does not change this flag, it simply assumes that
> it is off.
>
> I am able to correct it via git-bash, using "git update-index --chmod=+x --
> foo/bar.txt". SmartGit does not recognize this as being a change(there is no
> diff), so the commit must be created from the CLI.
>
> I would like to request a way to be able to set/remove this flag from within
> SmartGit, on new files or existing ones. A button/toggle within the "Index Editor"
> seems like a good place to put it.
>

> Take Care,
>
> --Eugene

Re: Feature request: ability to set execute permission

Eugene Kashpureff
After forcing a refresh of the repo by closing + reopening SmartGit, it does indeed show these files as being changed. The Index Editor does not show any diff, but I am able to commit the change regardless.

Thank you for the addition to the RFE list.

Take care,

--Eugene