File is too large to display.

befros
Hi guys,
I occasionally have to work with a 32k line / 1.2MB cpp file which
smartgit refuses to diff with the "File is too large to display."
warning/error in the "File Compare" tool.  I've increased the
smartgit.properties configuration file limit significantly:

# The detection of renamed files is by default disabled for very large
files.
# Use the following setting to adjust when a file is considered 'large'. The
# value should be given in bytes.
smartgit.core.jgit.similarityFileSizeLimit=200000000

It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.  I can diff the file
sometimes.  Then I'll go about my business in smartgit and then go back
and want to re-diff it and it refuses saying the file is too large.  The
real kicker is that sometimes I can't even diff small files after a
large file fails to diff.  Are there some memory management / garbage
collection problems that need to be worked out?

It almost seems like this functionality of smartgit hasn't been very
well tested and/or debugged.  SmartGit's diff tool seems pretty decent
other than this issue, so I'd like to avoid having to switch to
something like p4diff.  Anyone have success with large files or tips to
improve support for them?

Thanks in advance!

Re: File is too large to display.

syntevo Support
What version you are using?

12/03/2013 20:20 - Ben Efros wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I occasionally have to work with a 32k line / 1.2MB cpp file which
> smartgit refuses to diff with the "File is too large to display."
> warning/error in the "File Compare" tool.  I've increased the
> smartgit.properties configuration file limit significantly:
>
> # The detection of renamed files is by default disabled for very large
> files.
> # Use the following setting to adjust when a file is considered 'large'. The
> # value should be given in bytes.
> smartgit.core.jgit.similarityFileSizeLimit=200000000
>
> It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time.  I can diff the file
> sometimes.  Then I'll go about my business in smartgit and then go back
> and want to re-diff it and it refuses saying the file is too large.  The
> real kicker is that sometimes I can't even diff small files after a
> large file fails to diff.  Are there some memory management / garbage
> collection problems that need to be worked out?
>
> It almost seems like this functionality of smartgit hasn't been very
> well tested and/or debugged.  SmartGit's diff tool seems pretty decent
> other than this issue, so I'd like to avoid having to switch to
> something like p4diff.  Anyone have success with large files or tips to
> improve support for them?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Re: File is too large to display.

befros
I *think* this was on build ~2070.  I just did an update today and am
trying build 2075.

On 12/03/13 11:35, syntevo Support wrote:

> What version you are using?

> 12/03/2013 20:20 - Ben Efros wrote:
>
> > Hi guys,
> > I occasionally have to work with a 32k line / 1.2MB cpp file which
> > smartgit refuses to diff with the "File is too large to display."
> > warning/error in the "File Compare" tool. I've increased the
> > smartgit.properties configuration file limit significantly:
> >
> > # The detection of renamed files is by default disabled for very large
> > files.
> > # Use the following setting to adjust when a file is considered
> 'large'. The
> > # value should be given in bytes.
> > smartgit.core.jgit.similarityFileSizeLimit=200000000
> >
> > It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I can diff the file
> > sometimes. Then I'll go about my business in smartgit and then go back
> > and want to re-diff it and it refuses saying the file is too large. The
> > real kicker is that sometimes I can't even diff small files after a
> > large file fails to diff. Are there some memory management / garbage
> > collection problems that need to be worked out?
> >
> > It almost seems like this functionality of smartgit hasn't been very
> > well tested and/or debugged. SmartGit's diff tool seems pretty decent
> > other than this issue, so I'd like to avoid having to switch to
> > something like p4diff. Anyone have success with large files or tips to
> > improve support for them?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!

Re: File is too large to display.

syntevo Support
Users gave us the feedback that starting with #2070 it should be fine.

12/03/2013 20:50 - Ben Efros wrote:

> I *think* this was on build ~2070.  I just did an update today and am
> trying build 2075.
>

> On 12/03/13 11:35, syntevo Support wrote:
> >

> > What version you are using?

> > Thomas Singer
> >
> > 12/03/2013 20:20 - Ben Efros wrote:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > > I occasionally have to work with a 32k line / 1.2MB cpp file which
> > > smartgit refuses to diff with the "File is too large to display."
> > > warning/error in the "File Compare" tool. I've increased the
> > > smartgit.properties configuration file limit significantly:
> > >
> > > # The detection of renamed files is by default disabled for very large
> > > files.
> > > # Use the following setting to adjust when a file is considered
> > 'large'. The
> > > # value should be given in bytes.
> > > smartgit.core.jgit.similarityFileSizeLimit=200000000
> > >
> > > It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I can diff the file
> > > sometimes. Then I'll go about my business in smartgit and then go back
> > > and want to re-diff it and it refuses saying the file is too large. The
> > > real kicker is that sometimes I can't even diff small files after a
> > > large file fails to diff. Are there some memory management / garbage
> > > collection problems that need to be worked out?
> > >
> > > It almost seems like this functionality of smartgit hasn't been very
> > > well tested and/or debugged. SmartGit's diff tool seems pretty decent
> > > other than this issue, so I'd like to avoid having to switch to
> > > something like p4diff. Anyone have success with large files or tips to
> > > improve support for them?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!

Re: File is too large to display.

Diederick C. Niehorster
This kind of question/issue seems to come up frequently. would the
following be an issue:
instead of having a configuration option, have a text+button where the diff
would normally be shown.
something along the lines of:
"large file, press the button to show the diff (warning: may take a long
time)"
button: "show diff"

Center that in the diff area, and I think things would be much more user
friendly (especially for novices/people not following the mailing list and
thus not familiar with the issue), while also alleviating the same
performance concerns.

Best,
Dee

On Wed, Dec 4, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Ben Efros <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I occasionally have to work with a 32k line / 1.2MB cpp file which
> smartgit refuses to diff with the "File is too large to display."
> warning/error in the "File Compare" tool. I've increased the
> smartgit.properties configuration file limit significantly:
>
> # The detection of renamed files is by default disabled for very large
> files.
> # Use the following setting to adjust when a file is considered 'large'.
> The
> # value should be given in bytes.
> smartgit.core.jgit.similarityFileSizeLimit=200000000
>
> It doesn't seem to work 100% of the time. I can diff the file
> sometimes. Then I'll go about my business in smartgit and then go back
> and want to re-diff it and it refuses saying the file is too large. The
> real kicker is that sometimes I can't even diff small files after a
> large file fails to diff. Are there some memory management / garbage
> collection problems that need to be worked out?
>
> It almost seems like this functionality of smartgit hasn't been very
> well tested and/or debugged. SmartGit's diff tool seems pretty decent
> other than this issue, so I'd like to avoid having to switch to
> something like p4diff. Anyone have success with large files or tips to
> improve support for them?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Re: File is too large to display.

befros
I seem to have gotten this error once again in build #2075.  The steps
to reproduce were to load a standalone "File Compare" window with a
comparison between the Index and Working Tree and then hit the "Refresh"
button.  It only seems to happen periodically.

Regards,
Ben

On 12/03/13 12:41, syntevo Support wrote:

> Users gave us the feedback that starting with #2070 it should be fine.

> 12/03/2013 20:50 - Ben Efros wrote:
>
> > I *think* this was on build ~2070. I just did an update today and am
> > trying build 2075.
> >

> > On 12/03/13 11:35, syntevo Support wrote:
> > >

> > > What version you are using?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com

> large
> > > 'large'. The

> go back
> large. The

> decent
> tips to

Re: File is too large to display.

antonio
I met with this problem too, but with large XML file.
I solved it in the following way:
Edit - Preferences - Diff Tools - Add - External diff tool - Command: meld, Arguments: ${leftFile} ${rightFile}
Works fine. ))