Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

SmartGit mailing list
Our project is configured for gitflow, and we've been working on a
release branch.  That branch was up to date with develop, but someone
had done a commit on master.  When I attempted to "finish release",
SmartGit presented me with the merge conflicts on master.  I addressed
those, and then did a commit and push.  I appeared to be finished.

A couple hours later, a coworker alerted me that I had not done the
release correctly: I had only merged into master, and not develop.  I
had forgotten while fixing the merge conflicts from master to ensure
that develop got updated.

SmartGit could have helped me here by keeping track of the fact that
finishing a release requires merges to both master and develop, and
alerting me to the fact that both had not yet been done.  One
possibility is when I first select to finish a release, SmartGit can set
an indicator that a merge is required on both master and develop; then,
as each one is completed, clear that indicator.  Then if one of the
merges gets interrupted, as happened to me, SmartGit can provide me a
visual indicator that the finish release process is still pending.

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---

Re: Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

SmartGit mailing list
> SmartGit could have helped me here by keeping track of the fact that
> finishing a release requires merges to both master and develop, and
> alerting me to the fact that both had not yet been done.

This sounds useful, however git-flow does not track any such state and hence it's not easy for SmartGit to do so: it may either guess based on the repository state what won't be reliable or we may add some additional state in .git/config what will make it incompatible with other git-flow clients. But I think you should have been able to continue with Finish Release after having resolved the conflicts (instead of Committing). Maybe SmartGit could detect the merging state and in combination with git-flow enabled and having a release branch as merge source offer to continue with Finish Release instead of doing a plain Commit.

10/11/2014 00:40 - Guy Rouillier [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Our project is configured for gitflow, and we've been working on a
> release branch.  That branch was up to date with develop, but someone
> had done a commit on master.  When I attempted to "finish release",
> SmartGit presented me with the merge conflicts on master.  I addressed
> those, and then did a commit and push.  I appeared to be finished.
>
> A couple hours later, a coworker alerted me that I had not done the
> release correctly: I had only merged into master, and not develop.  I
> had forgotten while fixing the merge conflicts from master to ensure
> that develop got updated.
>
> SmartGit could have helped me here by keeping track of the fact that
> finishing a release requires merges to both master and develop, and
> alerting me to the fact that both had not yet been done.  One
> possibility is when I first select to finish a release, SmartGit can set
> an indicator that a merge is required on both master and develop; then,
> as each one is completed, clear that indicator.  Then if one of the
> merges gets interrupted, as happened to me, SmartGit can provide me a
> visual indicator that the finish release process is still pending.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Guy Rouillier
>
> ---
> This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is
> active.

Re: Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

WORMSS
What might be useful is if SmartGit could record what state the repo should be in after the release. If the repo is not in that state you could flag up something is not right?

- Colin

Re: Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

On 10/11/2014 5:30 AM, syntevo Support [hidden email] [smartgit]
wrote:
>  > SmartGit could have helped me here by keeping track of the fact that
>  > finishing a release requires merges to both master and develop, and
>  > alerting me to the fact that both had not yet been done.
>
> But I think you should have been able to
> continue with Finish Release after having resolved the conflicts
> (instead of Committing).

That's the path I missed.  When presented with merge conflicts, I
thought my only option was resolve-commit-push.  I had no idea I could
accomplish the same thing by clicking "Finish release" again.  So, yes,
some indicator that is the proper action to take to complete my goal of
finishing the release would be greatly appreciated.

That could be as simple as amending the message in the popup message
that identifies conflicts need to be resolved.  If you detect that
condition AND the user was in the process of finishing a release, add
the following text to the text already displayed:

"After resolving conflicts, continue by selecting Finish Release again
instead of commit and push."

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---

Re: Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

SmartGit mailing list
On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM, Guy Rouillier [hidden email]
[smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> "After resolving conflicts, continue by selecting Finish Release again
> instead of commit and push."

Though it might be extra user friendly to also pop up a dialogue with
continue with commit, and finish release button, with appropriate
explanation, when user does click commit instead of finish release

Re: Finish release sidetracked by merge conflicts

SmartGit mailing list
> > "After resolving conflicts, continue by selecting Finish Release again
> > instead of commit and push."
>
> Though it might be extra user friendly to also pop up a dialogue with
> continue with commit, and finish release button, with appropriate
> explanation, when user does click commit instead of finish release

I've added this to the RFE list (SG-8918).