Forced pushes too simple!

12

Forced pushes too simple!

Norbert Nemec
 I believe the issue was discussed recently:

 Forced pushes are still too simple in SmartGIT!

 Considering the amount of damage that can be done by a forced push, the
 hurdle should be higher than choosing between two buttons after reading three
 lines of text.

 The checkbox in the "Push Advanced..." dialog is acceptable.

 The regular push action accessible through the button, however, should never
 allow a forced push.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

syntevo Support
>  Forced pushes are still too simple in SmartGIT!
>
>  Considering the amount of damage that can be done by a forced push, the
>  hurdle should be higher than choosing between two buttons after reading three
>  lines of text.

We will add a system property to turn off Force-question for simple Push.

01/11/2012 00:30 - norbert.nemec wrote:

>  I believe the issue was discussed recently:
>
>  Forced pushes are still too simple in SmartGIT!
>
>  Considering the amount of damage that can be done by a forced push, the
>  hurdle should be higher than choosing between two buttons after reading three
>  lines of text.
>
>  The checkbox in the "Push Advanced..." dialog is acceptable.
>
>  The regular push action accessible through the button, however, should never
>  allow a forced push.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

Norbert Nemec
Please make it default to OFF.

We are just in the process of introducing GIT company-wide. I don't want
to risk that some newcomer messes up our server right away.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

syntevo Support
> We are just in the process of introducing GIT company-wide. I don't want
> to risk that some newcomer messes up our server right away.

You will probably have a company-wide installation, so you can set this system property off for your users.

01/11/2012 13:40 - Norbert Nemec wrote:

> Please make it default to OFF.
>
> We are just in the process of introducing GIT company-wide. I don't want
> to risk that some newcomer messes up our server right away.
>

> Am 11.01.12 13:27, schrieb syntevo Support:
> >  > Forced pushes are still too simple in SmartGIT!
> >  >
> >  > Considering the amount of damage that can be done by a forced push, the
> >  > hurdle should be higher than choosing between two buttons after
> > reading three
> >  > lines of text.
> >
> > We will add a system property to turn off Force-question for simple Push.

> > Marc Strapetz
> > =============
> >
> > 01/11/2012 00:30 - norbert.nemec wrote:
> >
> >  > I believe the issue was discussed recently:
> >  >
> >  > Forced pushes are still too simple in SmartGIT!
> >  >
> >  > Considering the amount of damage that can be done by a forced push, the
> >  > hurdle should be higher than choosing between two buttons after
> > reading three
> >  > lines of text.
> >  >
> >  > The checkbox in the "Push Advanced..." dialog is acceptable.
> >  >
> >  > The regular push action accessible through the button, however,
> > should never
> >  > allow a forced push.
> >  >
> >

> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> [hidden email]
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

Norbert Nemec
So far, there is little reason for a centralized installation. Our
developers have so individual needs, that everybody administrates the
machines themselves.

What is the reason that you would want to default to offer force
pushing? Force pushing is a rarely used and potentially dangerous expert
feature. Keeping it safe in the "Advanced push..." dialog should be
sufficient for anyone, not just specifically to our company.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

syntevo Support
Very often I use forced push for my own feature branches after having
rebased them onto the latest master commit. Unfortunately, Git seems not
smart enough to check whether the locally known remote branch is
identical to the branch in the repository where you force-push-to (in
order to prevent overwriting new changes in the remote repository).

On 11.01.2012 15:19, Norbert Nemec wrote:

> [...]
>>   >  Dr. Norbert Nemec
>>   >  Teamleader Software Development
>>   >
>>   >  Tel +49-30-611035-1882
>>   >  [hidden email]
>> <mailto:norbert.nemec%40native-instruments.de>
>>   >
>>   >  KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
>>   >  =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>>   >
>>   >  TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
>>   >  =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>>   >
>>   >  ->>>>>>  NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound<<<<<<-
>>   >
>>   >  Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
>>   >  Registernummer: HRB 72458
>>   >  UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>>   >
>>   >  Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

Norbert Nemec
Ok, but that is already quite advance use and potentially dangerous if
you don't know very well what you are doing.

Does anything speak against making simple force-pushes via push-button
OFF by default and allow expert users to enable them in the preferences?

Trying a non-ff-push via the regular push mechanism would then simply
give you an explaining error, which may even hint towards the preference
option, explitely calling it "for experts only".

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

syntevo Support
> Trying a non-ff-push via the regular push mechanism would then simply
> give you an explaining error, which may even hint towards the preference
> option, explitely calling it "for experts only".

OK, we will change it this way.

01/12/2012 11:10 - Norbert Nemec wrote:

> [...]
> >  >> > UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
> >  >> >
> >  >> > Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic
> >  >> >
> >  >>
> >  >>
> >  >
> >

> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> [hidden email]
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

fmazerolle
>> Does anything speak against making simple force-pushes via push-button
>> OFF by default and allow expert users to enable them in the preferences?

I do use force push on a daily basis, but I think it should require an extra step compared to the regular push. I liked the idea of having a checkbox to check to force push. I however disagree with the idea that I would have to change a global setting to be able to activate the force pushes.

As we use a git workflow with rebasing instead of merging, we need force push almost on a daily basis.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

Jens Mühlenhoff
Am 12.01.2012 20:38, schrieb fmazerolle_it:
>  >> Does anything speak against making simple force-pushes via push-button
>  >> OFF by default and allow expert users to enable them in the preferences?
>
> I do use force push on a daily basis, but I think it should require an
> extra step compared to the regular push. I liked the idea of having a
> checkbox to check to force push. I however disagree with the idea that I
> would have to change a global setting to be able to activate the force
> pushes.

Just put the "Push Advanced" function into the toolbar to get this bevavior.

I'm also in favor for disabling forced pushes for the normal "Push"
function.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Jens Mühlenhoff - Programmierer / Abtlg. Entwicklung & Support

A C C U R A T A - Informationssysteme GmbH
Lerchenkamp 11, D-31137 Hildesheim
Tel.: +49 5121 / 20 66 066 | http://www.accurata.com
Fax.: +49 5121 / 20 66 068 | [hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hildesheim, Handelsregister - HRB 2586
Geschäftsführer: Maico M. Friedrich

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

> I do use force push on a daily basis, but I think it should require an extra
> step compared to the regular push. I liked the idea of having a checkbox to
> check to force push. I however disagree with the idea that I would have to
> change a global setting to be able to activate the force pushes.

There will be an error message by default, pointing you to the Preferences option. After that, you may turn that option on once and you will have old behavior back.

01/12/2012 20:40 - fmazerolle_it wrote:

> >> Does anything speak against making simple force-pushes via push-button
> >> OFF by default and allow expert users to enable them in the preferences?
>
> I do use force push on a daily basis, but I think it should require an extra step
> compared to the regular push. I liked the idea of having a checkbox to check to
> force push. I however disagree with the idea that I would have to change a global
> setting to be able to activate the force pushes.
>
> As we use a git workflow with rebasing instead of merging, we need force push
> almost on a daily basis.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

marcelo_cantos
I'm somewhat new to SmartGit, so forgive me if I've misunderstood the nature of the issue or the way SmartGit works now, but...

What exactly is wrong with the existing model? It presents a second prompt, clearly indicating that a fast-forward isn't possible and an additional decision is required to force-push. Are we talking about making this idiot-proof? I'm not an idiot and the developers I work with aren't idiots. We know that, no matter what software we're using, a second dialog means, "Think twice." In this case, it even makes "Cancel" the default button. Why isn't this enough?

BTW, I force-push all the time and I hate being made to use the mouse. Stick stuff on the toolbar if you must, but I'll be very unhappy if I have to reach for my mouse every time I push. It's frustrating enough that I can't bring up the Log window on my Mac with a keystroke. (Cmd-G, please? It's part of the word "Log" and it's right next to H.)

--- In [hidden email], Jens Mühlenhoff <j.muehlenhoff@...> wrote:

> Am 12.01.2012 20:38, schrieb fmazerolle_it:
> >  >> Does anything speak against making simple force-pushes via push-button
> >  >> OFF by default and allow expert users to enable them in the preferences?
> >
> > I do use force push on a daily basis, but I think it should require an
> > extra step compared to the regular push. I liked the idea of having a
> > checkbox to check to force push. I however disagree with the idea that I
> > would have to change a global setting to be able to activate the force
> > pushes.
>
> Just put the "Push Advanced" function into the toolbar to get this bevavior.
>
> I'm also in favor for disabling forced pushes for the normal "Push"
> function.
>
> --
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> Jens Mühlenhoff - Programmierer / Abtlg. Entwicklung & Support
>
> A C C U R A T A - Informationssysteme GmbH
> Lerchenkamp 11, D-31137 Hildesheim
> Tel.: +49 5121 / 20 66 066 | http://www.accurata.com
> Fax.: +49 5121 / 20 66 068 | j.muehlenhoff@...
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hildesheim, Handelsregister - HRB 2586
> Geschäftsführer: Maico M. Friedrich

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

syntevo Support
The next build will have a preferences option to allow forced pushes
(default is unselected). This makes it harder for users to click the Force
button by accident. For users who often use forced push, like you and me, it
is easy to select this option in the preferences and continue to use
SmartGit as we are used to.

On 14.01.2012 01:33, marcelo_cantos wrote:

> I'm somewhat new to SmartGit, so forgive me if I've misunderstood the nature of the issue or the way SmartGit works now, but...
>
> What exactly is wrong with the existing model? It presents a second prompt, clearly indicating that a fast-forward isn't possible and an additional decision is required to force-push. Are we talking about making this idiot-proof? I'm not an idiot and the developers I work with aren't idiots. We know that, no matter what software we're using, a second dialog means, "Think twice." In this case, it even makes "Cancel" the default button. Why isn't this enough?
>
> BTW, I force-push all the time and I hate being made to use the mouse. Stick stuff on the toolbar if you must, but I'll be very unhappy if I have to reach for my mouse every time I push. It's frustrating enough that I can't bring up the Log window on my Mac with a keystroke. (Cmd-G, please? It's part of the word "Log" and it's right next to H.)
>
> --- In [hidden email], Jens Mühlenhoff <j.muehlenhoff@...> wrote:
>>
>> Am 12.01.2012 20:38, schrieb fmazerolle_it:
>>>  >> Does anything speak against making simple force-pushes via push-button
>>>  >> OFF by default and allow expert users to enable them in the preferences?
>>>
>>> I do use force push on a daily basis, but I think it should require an
>>> extra step compared to the regular push. I liked the idea of having a
>>> checkbox to check to force push. I however disagree with the idea that I
>>> would have to change a global setting to be able to activate the force
>>> pushes.
>>
>> Just put the "Push Advanced" function into the toolbar to get this bevavior.
>>
>> I'm also in favor for disabling forced pushes for the normal "Push"
>> function.
>>
>> --
>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen
>> Jens Mühlenhoff - Programmierer / Abtlg. Entwicklung & Support
>>
>> A C C U R A T A - Informationssysteme GmbH
>> Lerchenkamp 11, D-31137 Hildesheim
>> Tel.: +49 5121 / 20 66 066 | http://www.accurata.com
>> Fax.: +49 5121 / 20 66 068 | j.muehlenhoff@...
>>
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hildesheim, Handelsregister - HRB 2586
>> Geschäftsführer: Maico M. Friedrich

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

marcelo_cantos
Thank you Thomas. If the existing behaviour is accessible through configuration, that's good enough for me.

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> The next build will have a preferences option to allow forced pushes
> (default is unselected). This makes it harder for users to click the Force
> button by accident. For users who often use forced push, like you and me, it
> is easy to select this option in the preferences and continue to use
> SmartGit as we are used to.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

Norbert Nemec
Am 14.01.12 01:33, schrieb marcelo_cantos:
> What exactly is wrong with the existing model? It presents a second
> prompt, clearly indicating that a fast-forward isn't possible and an
> additional decision is required to force-push. Are we talking about
> making this idiot-proof?

Call me an idiot, if you like, but I have quite often been confused
myself by warning dialogs. In my experience, experts are just as likely
as newbies to let down their guard. I guess the fundamental
misunderstanding is that "OK"/"Cancel" does not really require a
concious choice. People tend to default on "OK" because they are so used
to pointless warnings.

Now: When some careless user destroys just their own work, you may call
it a "valuable lesson". An improper force push, on the other hand, may
seriously mess up a repository. In the worst case, the problem may not
even show up until quite some time later, causing confusion and problems
to many others.

Anyhow, the solution proposed by Thomas fully satisfies me, and changing
one preference should not be too much to ask from those who prefer the
current situation.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

marcelo_cantos
My chief concern was that the current behaviour might disappear entirely,
and I hadn't read anything to the contrary. I, too, am perfectly happy with
Thomas's proposed solution.

On 16 January 2012 19:24, Norbert Nemec <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Am 14.01.12 01:33, schrieb marcelo_cantos:
> > What exactly is wrong with the existing model? It presents a second
> > prompt, clearly indicating that a fast-forward isn't possible and an
> > additional decision is required to force-push. Are we talking about
> > making this idiot-proof?
>
> Call me an idiot, if you like, but I have quite often been confused
> myself by warning dialogs. In my experience, experts are just as likely
> as newbies to let down their guard. I guess the fundamental
> misunderstanding is that "OK"/"Cancel" does not really require a
> concious choice. People tend to default on "OK" because they are so used
> to pointless warnings.
>
> Now: When some careless user destroys just their own work, you may call
> it a "valuable lesson". An improper force push, on the other hand, may
> seriously mess up a repository. In the worst case, the problem may not
> even show up until quite some time later, causing confusion and problems
> to many others.
>
> Anyhow, the solution proposed by Thomas fully satisfies me, and changing
> one preference should not be too much to ask from those who prefer the
> current situation.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

rfossella
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

rfossella
Hello,

I have multiple GIT repositories.   When I open certain repos in SmartGit the PUSH button is enabled; for others it is not.  Preferences does not indicate a possible reason for this.

Can anyone explain?

Thanks.
Rob

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

syntevo Support
> I have multiple GIT repositories.   When I open certain repos in SmartGit
> the PUSH button is enabled; for others it is not.

Do these projects have their Remotes configured properly (see Remote|Manage Remotes)?

03/12/2012 09:10 - rfossella wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have multiple GIT repositories.   When I open certain repos in SmartGit
> the PUSH button is enabled; for others it is not.  Preferences does not
> indicate a possible reason for this.
>
> Can anyone explain?
>
> Thanks.
> Rob

Re: Forced pushes too simple!

rfossella
syntevo Support wrote
Do these projects have their Remotes configured properly (see Remote|Manage Remotes)?
I double-checked that my Remotes are configured properly.  I even removed and re-added repo.  Again "PUSH" remains disabled.  I can do PUSH Advanced from the menu, which works, and I see my changes remotely on BitBucket.

Seems odd.  Any other ideas?

Thanks.
Rob
12