Quantcast

GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
We are using the GitFlow process.  In SmartGit (7 preview 2), when I
select GitFlow-Finish Release and check "Create version tag", here is
what I see SmartGit doing:

(1) applies the specified tag to the release branch
(2) switches to master and merges in the changes
(3) switches to develop and merges the changes

We leave our release branches in the central repo, so I have to leave
unchecked "Push results and remove remote release branch"; ideally,
those two actions would be separated, so I could ask SmartGit to do the
push for me.  As it is now, I have to manually push my changes.

But the issue I'm addressing in this email is (1).  I think that is
doing the wrong thing.  Almost always, I want the tag on the master
branch, not on the release branch.  That would be doubly true for those
who elect to delete the release branch.  What's the point of tagging the
release branch and then deleting the branch?

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
http://www.avast.com

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

WORMSS
This was something I first encountered when I tried out using GitFlow.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
In reply to this post by SmartGit mailing list
On 2015-02-27 22:33, Guy Rouillier [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:
> Almost always, I want the tag on the master
> branch, not on the release branch.

Indeed, that does sound wrong. I suggest you raise this issue in the
SmartGit support mailing list.

I also follow the same workflow
[http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/], but I do all
commands manually (not via GitFlow scripts or a Git gui-frontend). I
find way to many issues with all those "black-box" interfaces. Give the
CLI any time of the day, and then I know _exactly_ what I am doing.


Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
On 2015-02-28 13:53, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Indeed, that does sound wrong. I suggest you raise this issue in the
> SmartGit support mailing list.

Oops, this is that mailing list. :-)  Too many different mailing list
accounts to keep track of.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

--
fpGUI Toolkit - a cross-platform GUI toolkit using Free Pascal
http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
In reply to this post by SmartGit mailing list
> But the issue I'm addressing in this email is (1).  I think that is
> doing the wrong thing.  Almost always, I want the tag on the master
> branch, not on the release branch.  That would be doubly true for those
> who elect to delete the release branch.  What's the point of tagging the
> release branch and then deleting the branch?

SmartGit includes following fix which is part of Git-Flow's develop branch, but has never been released:

https://github.com/nvie/gitflow/issues/206

As this issue has been raised several times now, I'm wondering whether we should (at least optionally) support tagging master?

What do Git-Flow users think about it?

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://www.syntevo.com/blog


02/27/2015 23:40 - Guy Rouillier [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> We are using the GitFlow process.  In SmartGit (7 preview 2), when I
> select GitFlow-Finish Release and check "Create version tag", here is
> what I see SmartGit doing:
>
> (1) applies the specified tag to the release branch
> (2) switches to master and merges in the changes
> (3) switches to develop and merges the changes
>
> We leave our release branches in the central repo, so I have to leave
> unchecked "Push results and remove remote release branch"; ideally,
> those two actions would be separated, so I could ask SmartGit to do the
> push for me.  As it is now, I have to manually push my changes.
>
> But the issue I'm addressing in this email is (1).  I think that is
> doing the wrong thing.  Almost always, I want the tag on the master
> branch, not on the release branch.  That would be doubly true for those
> who elect to delete the release branch.  What's the point of tagging the
> release branch and then deleting the branch?
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Guy Rouillier
>
> ---
> This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
> http://www.avast.com
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
Hi,
Indeed, I'd like to have the tags on the masterbranch as well.
I get them on the master branch if I use gitflow commandline.
So in my experience smartgit is doing it different the plain gitflow

Now I end up with having the tags on the develop branch...
(probably I see this because I squash commit the feature branch to develop
and then delete the release branch afterwards)

regards
Herman
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
Any votes *against* changing the tag location for version 7 to be the same as for command line Git-Flow?

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com


03/25/2015 19:40 - Herman Thijs [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hi,
> Indeed, I'd like to have the tags on the masterbranch as well.
> I get them on the master branch if I use gitflow commandline.
> So in my experience smartgit is doing it different the plain gitflow
>
> Now I end up with having the tags on the develop branch...
> (probably I see this because I squash commit the feature branch to develop
> and then delete the release branch afterwards)
>
> regards
> Herman
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: GitFlow Finish Release puts tag on wrong branch

SmartGit mailing list
> Any votes *against* changing the tag location for version 7 to be the same as for
> command line Git-Flow?

FWIW, this didn't make it into version 7 release but it will be implemented for version 7.1.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com



03/26/2015 10:27 - syntevo Support wrote:

> Any votes *against* changing the tag location for version 7 to be the same as for
> command line Git-Flow?
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Marc Strapetz
> syntevo GmbH
> http://www.syntevo.com
>
>
> 03/25/2015 19:40 - Herman Thijs [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Indeed, I'd like to have the tags on the masterbranch as well.
> > I get them on the master branch if I use gitflow commandline.
> > So in my experience smartgit is doing it different the plain gitflow
> >
> > Now I end up with having the tags on the develop branch...
> > (probably I see this because I squash commit the feature branch to develop
> > and then delete the release branch afterwards)
> >
> > regards
> > Herman
> >
>
Loading...