Gitolite + SmartGit

bshoenhair
Hello,

Is anyone using the SmartGit GUI and Gitolite? Are there any issues that you can see?

Thanks,
Bill

Re: Gitolite + SmartGit

syntevo Support
Hi Bill,

We have no experience with Gitolite, but today I've installed it on Ubuntu 10.10. It works fine if you use the scp-like Git syntax "gitolite@server:repository". Don't use a leading "ssh://"! Also note, that if you use SmartGit as SSH client, it remembers (username, server) -> (private key file, passphrase). Because the username for Gitolite is fixed, e.g. "gitolite", and Gitolite only distinguishes users by their public key, SmartGit's SSH client only can handle one Gitolite user. This means, if you need to work with different Gitolite users (aka different private key files), you must not tell SmartGit to store the passphrase. Because SmartGit always remembers the passphrase (otherwise you would have to enter it multiple times), to change the Gitolite user you need to exit SmartGit and restart it. Then it should ask it again, so you can use a different private key file and enter its passphrase.

09/07/2011 09:10 - top_shelf_tequila wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is anyone using the SmartGit GUI and Gitolite? Are there any issues that you can
> see?
>
> Thanks,
> Bill

Re: Gitolite + SmartGit

Eugene Kashpureff
I use SmartGit with my gitolite instance regularly, and it performs great. I'm using the "system ssh client" option, and have replaced msysgit's included ssh.exe with PuTTY's plink.exe. Pubkey auth is then handled by Pageant. If you were to need more than one gitolite user, you could switch pubkeys loaded in Pageant, but I have not found this to be an issue - I do everything with the same key.

If you have any questions pertaining to gitolite, you can get quick help via IRC in #git on the FreeNode network. Note that nearly every issue with Gitolite ends up being a SSH problem, not a gitolite one. ;-)

Re: Gitolite + SmartGit

jerry_ru
Hello.
I have gitolite repo AND non standard ssh port...
How can I fetch this repo using smartgit?

In shell I have setup ~/.ssh/config with following content:
Host=myserver
Port=12345

and in shell I can clone repo with this command:
git clone git@myserver:myrepo

May be additional field "Port" on "Clone dialog" will be useful?

Re: Gitolite + SmartGit

Campbell
Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. It was hard to find this exact answer. Maybe post it on your main web site in the FAQs? :)

Cheers,

Campbell

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> We have no experience with Gitolite, but today I've installed it on Ubuntu 10.10. It works fine if you use the scp-like Git syntax "gitolite@server:repository". Don't use a leading "ssh://"! Also note, that if you use SmartGit as SSH client, it remembers (username, server) -> (private key file, passphrase). Because the username for Gitolite is fixed, e.g. "gitolite", and Gitolite only distinguishes users by their public key, SmartGit's SSH client only can handle one Gitolite user. This means, if you need to work with different Gitolite users (aka different private key files), you must not tell SmartGit to store the passphrase. Because SmartGit always remembers the passphrase (otherwise you would have to enter it multiple times), to change the Gitolite user you need to exit SmartGit and restart it. Then it should ask it again, so you can use a different private key file and enter its passphrase.

> 09/07/2011 09:10 - top_shelf_tequila wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is anyone using the SmartGit GUI and Gitolite? Are there any issues that you can
> > see?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Bill

Re: Gitolite + SmartGit

sengottuvel

Can you please help me how to overcome the below steps,

About me environment,

I am going to implement git on gitolite. Now developers are using git by smartgit GUI tool. If i implemented the gitolite how user can handle their day to day process using smart git.

How to clone project by smart git.

Can you share a real example for cloning a project.

Thanks for your understanding and help.

Regards,
Sengottuvel