Quantcast

Hotfixes are separating the branches

SmartGit mailing list
How do to:

 Create a new repo; Commit something;
 Setup Git-Flow (full): it'll create "develop" branch; Checkout develop branch; Check on branches log (CTRL+L) that "master" and "develop" point to same parent (or root, in this case); Starts a hotfix, like 1.0.0, whatever: you'll stay automatically checked out on this branch (ok); Commit something again; Check on branches log again that "master" and "develop" will not move (ok), and you will have a new commit on top of it, on branch "hotfix-1.0.0" (until here, all is fine); Finish hotfix: enable options "delete hotfix branch", "create version tag" and... If you "merge to develop", it'll merge to develop over master over first commit; If you not enable, it'll merge to master, and maintain develop on same place; Here I think that, how "develop" and "master" points to same place, the ideally it need move together, and tag the "finish" commit, instead of last user commit.

 Initial case: Imgur http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI

 http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI

 Imgur http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI The Internet's visual storytelling community. Explore, share, and discuss...

 View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI
 Preview by Yahoo

 First case: Imgur http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK

 http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK

 Imgur http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK The Internet's visual storytelling community. Explore, share, and discuss...

 View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK
 Preview by Yahoo

 Second case: Imgur http://imgur.com/9f9vETE

 http://imgur.com/9f9vETE

 Imgur http://imgur.com/9f9vETE The Internet's visual storytelling community. Explore, share, and discuss...

 View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/9f9vETE
 Preview by Yahoo

 Ideal case: Imgur http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO

 http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO

 Imgur http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO The Internet's visual storytelling community. Explore, share, and discuss...

 View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO
 Preview by Yahoo

Re: Hotfixes are separating the branches

SmartGit mailing list
> Here I think that, how "develop" and "master" points to same place, the
> ideally it need move together

Moving together will only be possible if develop is equal to master what is almost never the case (except for an empty repository, as you had).

> and tag the "finish" commit, instead of last user commit.

This has been request a couple of times and we are considering to change the behavior accordingly.

> How do to:
>
>  Create a new repo; Commit something;
>  Setup Git-Flow (full): it'll create "develop" branch; Checkout develop branch;
> Check on branches log (CTRL+L) that "master" and "develop" point to same parent
> (or root, in this case); Starts a hotfix, like 1.0.0, whatever: you'll stay
> automatically checked out on this branch (ok); Commit something again; Check on
> branches log again that "master" and "develop" will not move (ok), and you will
> have a new commit on top of it, on branch "hotfix-1.0.0" (until here, all is
> fine); Finish hotfix: enable options "delete hotfix branch", "create version tag"
> and... If you "merge to develop", it'll merge to develop over master over first
> commit; If you not enable, it'll merge to master, and maintain develop on same
> place; Here I think that, how "develop" and "master" points to same place, the
> ideally it need move together, and tag the "finish" commit, instead of last user
> commit.
>

>  Initial case: Imgur http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI
>

>  http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI
>
>  Imgur http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI The Internet's visual storytelling community.
> Explore, share, and discuss...
>

>  View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/8mJx7KI
>  Preview by Yahoo
>

>  First case: Imgur http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK
>

>  http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK
>
>  Imgur http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK The Internet's visual storytelling community.
> Explore, share, and discuss...
>

>  View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/z5HOpEK
>  Preview by Yahoo
>

>  Second case: Imgur http://imgur.com/9f9vETE
>

>  http://imgur.com/9f9vETE
>
>  Imgur http://imgur.com/9f9vETE The Internet's visual storytelling community.
> Explore, share, and discuss...
>

>  View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/9f9vETE
>  Preview by Yahoo
>

>  Ideal case: Imgur http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO
>

>  http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO
>
>  Imgur http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO The Internet's visual storytelling community.
> Explore, share, and discuss...
>

>  View on imgur.com http://imgur.com/TqGX7ZO
>  Preview by Yahoo

Re: Hotfixes are separating the branches

SmartGit mailing list
Thanks for reply.

 On first case, is viable detect if master and develop are together and move both, if yes? It make more sense, even in rare cases. For me is common, because I work alone and use git only to control changes. But I understand that, for team or for some alone users, it can be very rare.

Re: Hotfixes are separating the branches

SmartGit mailing list
> On first case, is viable detect if master and develop are together and move both,
> if yes?

If you don't like the many merge commits which Git-Flow products, did you consider to use the "Git-Flow Light" implementation which is also part of SmartGit?

> Thanks for reply.
>
>  On first case, is viable detect if master and develop are together and move both,
> if yes? It make more sense, even in rare cases. For me is common, because I work
> alone and use git only to control changes. But I understand that, for team or for
> some alone users, it can be very rare.

Re: Hotfixes are separating the branches

SmartGit mailing list
The light version seems better for me, except because the "feature" don't suggest the next version number (like the hotfix) and don't create tag, but would be great if it does automatically like hotfix.

 Other option is turn possible you create a hotfix in light version, but work it on feature branch. Except that in this case, "feature" name will not make more sense. So need a abstract branch name to group "features", "hotfixes" or "releases". Maybe "working" or just "branches".