How to do a rebase --interactive to drop a commit?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to do a rebase --interactive to drop a commit?

Steve deRosier
I was able to follow this video and apply it to my SG 5 and 6:
*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_QAFrmHJM
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_QAFrmHJM>*

(note that the window pane is now called simply "Outgoing")

It looks like it provides some of the interactive rebase functionality, but
it doesn't let me drop a commit.  Not in the right-click menu, nor just
hitting the delete button.  Either method I'd expect.

How do I drop a (or many) commit(s)?

Side note: from watching the output window, it's clear that squashing at
least doesn't utilize an interactive rebase as one would expect, it uses a
long series of cherry-pick --no-commit + commit --amend to "construct" an
approximation.  End result is equivalent, but it makes SmartGit less useful
as a teaching tool.

Thanks,
- Steve
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to do a rebase --interactive to drop a commit?

syntevo Support
> It looks like it provides some of the interactive rebase functionality, but
> it doesn't let me drop a commit.  Not in the right-click menu, nor just
> hitting the delete button.  Either method I'd expect.
>
> How do I drop a (or many) commit(s)?

This is currently not possible from the Outgoing view, but would require to do it manually in the Log. While this is actually a shortcoming, I'm wondering how common this use case is?

> Side note: from watching the output window, it's clear that squashing at
> least doesn't utilize an interactive rebase as one would expect, it uses a
> long series of cherry-pick --no-commit + commit --amend to "construct" an
> approximation.  End result is equivalent, but it makes SmartGit less useful
> as a teaching tool.

We are not using interactive rebase as this tends to be a lot slower on Windows than doing cherry-picks. The result should be no approximation, but identical.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com



04/29/2014 17:50 - Steve deRosier wrote:

> I was able to follow this video and apply it to my SG 5 and 6:
> *http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_QAFrmHJM
> <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi_QAFrmHJM>*
>
> (note that the window pane is now called simply "Outgoing")
>
> It looks like it provides some of the interactive rebase functionality, but
> it doesn't let me drop a commit.  Not in the right-click menu, nor just
> hitting the delete button.  Either method I'd expect.
>
> How do I drop a (or many) commit(s)?
>
> Side note: from watching the output window, it's clear that squashing at
> least doesn't utilize an interactive rebase as one would expect, it uses a
> long series of cherry-pick --no-commit + commit --amend to "construct" an
> approximation.  End result is equivalent, but it makes SmartGit less useful
> as a teaching tool.
>
> Thanks,
> - Steve
>