Improving SG blame

befros

I've found the blame functionality generally painful to use in the rare
case where I need it.  I figure I'd document why and see if its "just
me" and if other people have ideas on how to better utilize it _or_
discuss ideas for improving it.

- It has no search functionality based on hash or commit strings
(similar to log view)

- In our environment, we occasionally have commits that have _very_ long
first lines (way above 50 characters unfortunately).  This causes the
drop down scroll boxes to appear to go off screen.

- The combo boxes used for "View Commit" and (Changes Since) "Commit"
are hard to navigate when you have hundreds or thousands of commits.
And there is no filtering support to ignore commits that have no relevence.

- Many times I'm not researching new lines added, but in fact lines that
were possibly delete.  The "History of current line" feature is great,
but I wonder if it could be improved to show nearby lines (and include
deletions).

- Being able to search for a string in the file, but find it through any
point in time.  ie: "CTRL+F" functionality able to search through past
revisions and find specific changes and/or authors of changes.

Re: Improving SG blame

WORMSS
I don't tend to use the Blame that much because it lacks an ability I would find super useful.

Go to history of this line. I guess it would be hard to line up the line over many commits, but usually the use case for me is
1) Find the line I want..
2) look to the left, (find the info is blank),
3) scroll up a bit to find where the actual commit info is.
4) Want to see what that line looked like BEFORE.

Step 2: be nice if the selected line also showed the information of which commit/author it was.

Step 4: be nice if I can say "go back to the commit before this was changed"

Re: Improving SG blame

> Go to history of this line. I guess it would be hard to line up the line
> over many commits, but usually the use case for me is
> 1) Find the line I want..
> 2) look to the left, (find the info is blank),
> 3) scroll up a bit to find where the actual commit info is.
> 4) Want to see what that line looked like BEFORE.

You should see that already in the lower "History of current line" view.

> Step 2: be nice if the selected line also showed the information of which
> commit/author it was.

All of that is displayed in the "History of current line" view and in the yellow area
(also check the tooltip).

> Step 4: be nice if I can say "go back to the commit before this was changed"

Check Go To > Go to Preceding Commit.

04/24/2014 19:36 - WORMSS wrote:

> I don't tend to use the Blame that much because it lacks an ability I would
> find super useful.
>
> Go to history of this line. I guess it would be hard to line up the line
> over many commits, but usually the use case for me is
> 1) Find the line I want..
> 2) look to the left, (find the info is blank),
> 3) scroll up a bit to find where the actual commit info is.
> 4) Want to see what that line looked like BEFORE.
>

> Step 2: be nice if the selected line also showed the information of which
> commit/author it was.
>
> Step 4: be nice if I can say "go back to the commit before this was changed"

Re: Improving SG blame

> - Many times I'm not researching new lines added, but in fact lines that
> were possibly delete.

What do you mean by "possibly deleted"? Are you located at some commit for which a line is present, but it's not present anymore in HEAD (or at least you don't know whether it's still present)?

>  The "History of current line" feature is great,
> but I wonder if it could be improved to show nearby lines (and include
> deletions).

Do you have some suggestions how a solution for displaying the history of multiple lines could look like?

> - Being able to search for a string in the file, but find it through any
> point in time.  ie: "CTRL+F" functionality able to search through past
> revisions and find specific changes

That sounds useful -- I've added this as RFE (SG-8340).

> and/or authors of changes.

I think this kind of search would usually give too many hits.

On 04/24/14 10:49, syntevo Support wrote:

> > - Many times I'm not researching new lines added, but in fact lines that
> > were possibly delete.
>
> What do you mean by "possibly deleted"? Are you located at some commit
> for which a line is present, but it's not present anymore in HEAD (or
> at least you don't know whether it's still present)?

Generally I'd be located at some commit (HEAD for example) where the
line is no longer present, but I suspect that it was removed in the last
month or so.  I suppose the "Go to preceding commit" menu option hot key
being hit repeatedly would be the best way to incrementally step
backwards one commit at a time.    Adding a toolbar with navigation
buttons for navigating the commit history rather than the goto menu
might improve this functionality, because in my use case, its rare that
I need to step only a single commit .... usually its many commits.

> > The "History of current line" feature is great,
> > but I wonder if it could be improved to show nearby lines (and include
> > deletions).
>
> Do you have some suggestions how a solution for displaying the history
> of multiple lines could look like?

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure what might be a good way to attempt showing
nearby lines that might have been deleted.

Maybe being able to "show deleted lines" with an option that shows
"commits in the last x (ie 30) days" (timestamp) or "last x commits"
(log based).  The most recent version of the line could be shown in a
red font with strikethrough to show it has no relevence to the current
commit being viewed.

If a toolbar were added to help navigation, a toolbar item could be
added to toggle this behavior on/off.

> > - Being able to search for a string in the file, but find it through any
> > point in time. ie: "CTRL+F" functionality able to search through past
> > revisions and find specific changes
>
> That sounds useful -- I've added this as RFE (SG-8340).
>
> > and/or authors of changes.
>
> I think this kind of search would usually give too many hits.

You're probably right.  If CTRL+F support to search through past
revisions, I suppose it would need to be a "Find Next" function that
would step back through commits ....

> Marc Strapetz
>
> 04/24/2014 19:20 - Ben Efros wrote:
>

> > I've found the blame functionality generally painful to use in the rare
> > case where I need it. I figure I'd document why and see if its "just
> > me" and if other people have ideas on how to better utilize it _or_
> > discuss ideas for improving it.
> >

> > - It has no search functionality based on hash or commit strings
> > (similar to log view)
> >
> > - In our environment, we occasionally have commits that have _very_ long
> > first lines (way above 50 characters unfortunately). This causes the
> > drop down scroll boxes to appear to go off screen.
> >
> > - The combo boxes used for "View Commit" and (Changes Since) "Commit"
> > are hard to navigate when you have hundreds or thousands of commits.
> > And there is no filtering support to ignore commits that have no
> relevence.
> >
> > - Many times I'm not researching new lines added, but in fact lines that
> > were possibly delete. The "History of current line" feature is great,
> > but I wonder if it could be improved to show nearby lines (and include
> > deletions).
> >
> > - Being able to search for a string in the file, but find it through any
> > point in time. ie: "CTRL+F" functionality able to search through past
> > revisions and find specific changes and/or authors of changes.

Re: Improving SG blame

syntevo Support
> On 04/24/14 10:49, syntevo Support wrote:
> >

> > > - Many times I'm not researching new lines added, but in fact lines that
> > > were possibly delete.
> >
> > What do you mean by "possibly deleted"? Are you located at some commit
> > for which a line is present, but it's not present anymore in HEAD (or
> > at least you don't know whether it's still present)?
> >
> Generally I'd be located at some commit (HEAD for example) where the
> line is no longer present, but I suspect that it was removed in the last
> month or so.  I suppose the "Go to preceding commit" menu option hot key
> being hit repeatedly would be the best way to incrementally step
> backwards one commit at a time.    Adding a toolbar with navigation
> buttons for navigating the commit history rather than the goto menu
> might improve this functionality, because in my use case, its rare that
> I need to step only a single commit .... usually its many commits.

Please try to focus that part of the file where you suspect the line deletion, then set the focus to View Commit and use cursor up/down to scroll between commits: SmartGit will try to keep the center lines in the document in center (even when there are large additions/deletions in the upper area of the document). In this way it should be quite easy to find such a deleted line.

Still, we are planning to replace the View Commit combobox by a table.