Interactive rebasing ?

obillard
Hi,

Thank for this great tool !
I frequently use interactive rebase, to cleanup local history before pushing it to other developers.

This is almost the last command line I use. I notices that a long time ago (something around 2010), the support mentioned that this would be implemented in a later release.

Do you have any, even approximate, date for this implementation ?

Thanks !
Olivier

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

syntevo Support
Hi Olivier,

The next SmartGit version will offer following work-flows with the commits shown in the Pushable Commits tool window:

- move commits before or after other commits,
- join adjacent commits,
- edit commit message of any commit

This only will work for clean working trees and index, for simple (non-merge) commits and if no conflict occurs.

06/29/2012 17:30 - jallbox wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank for this great tool !
> I frequently use interactive rebase, to cleanup local history before pushing it to
> other developers.
>
> This is almost the last command line I use. I notices that a long time ago
> (something around 2010), the support mentioned that this would be implemented in a
> later release.
>
> Do you have any, even approximate, date for this implementation ?
>
> Thanks !
> --
> Olivier

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

midiarth
--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> The next SmartGit version will offer following work-flows with the commits shown in the Pushable Commits tool window:
>
> - move commits before or after other commits,
> - join adjacent commits,
> - edit commit message of any commit
>
> This only will work for clean working trees and index, for simple (non-merge) commits and if no conflict occurs.

Looking forward to this. I have a suggestion for improving it:

I would like to commit some changes to one of the unpushed commits, then take a few other changes and put them into another bucket (or, commit as it's called).

That would require some automatic stashing and unstashing, since I think it has to work on an unclean working tree and index.

This would be quite handy if I want to reduce a long-running branch into a couple of commits. Especially if the long-running branch has had a lot of trial and error, with single commits that have different types of changes.

Thinking schematically, I would be able to work this out with your interactive manipulation of unpushed commits.

::tor

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

syntevo Support
If I understand you correctly, this should be possible by just adding your commits, rearrange them and join some of them later.

07/12/2012 14:00 - midiarth wrote:

> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> > The next SmartGit version will offer following work-flows with the commits shown in the Pushable Commits tool window:
> >
> > - move commits before or after other commits,
> > - join adjacent commits,
> > - edit commit message of any commit
> >
> > This only will work for clean working trees and index, for simple (non-merge) commits and if no conflict occurs.
>

> Looking forward to this. I have a suggestion for improving it:
>
> I would like to commit some changes to one of the unpushed commits, then take a
> few other changes and put them into another bucket (or, commit as it's called).
>
> That would require some automatic stashing and unstashing, since I think it has to
> work on an unclean working tree and index.
>
> This would be quite handy if I want to reduce a long-running branch into a couple
> of commits. Especially if the long-running branch has had a lot of trial and
> error, with single commits that have different types of changes.
>
> Thinking schematically, I would be able to work this out with your interactive
> manipulation of unpushed commits.
>
> ::tor

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

midiarth
--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, this should be possible by just adding your commits, rearrange them and join some of them later.

Yes, as I said in my last paragraph. I can, and I do, rearrange commits before pushing, even in the current SmartGit version.

But this is about convenience. Your announced functionality will make that easier, and I added my wish for an additional workflow.

Of course, that workflow, of "committing some of the current changes into e.g. HEAD^^ without any fuss", would have to appeal to others in order to have it implemented.

::tor

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

obillard
Why not simply offer a friendly GUI over the Git interactive rebase edit
text ?
Like Drag&Droping lines to rearrange commits, etc ?

Edited text would be then pushed to the rebase
More simply, another git frontend (should I mention its name ?) just
displays this text. But in this case, you can have the full Git rebase
power.

-- Olivier

2012/7/17 midiarth <[hidden email]>

> **
>

> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > If I understand you correctly, this should be possible by just adding
> your commits, rearrange them and join some of them later.
>
> Yes, as I said in my last paragraph. I can, and I do, rearrange commits
> before pushing, even in the current SmartGit version.
>
> But this is about convenience. Your announced functionality will make that
> easier, and I added my wish for an additional workflow.
>
> Of course, that workflow, of "committing some of the current changes into
> e.g. HEAD^^ without any fuss", would have to appeal to others in order to
> have it implemented.
>
> ::tor

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

syntevo Support
Please wait a little bit until we released a first preview for the next SmartGit release. Then we have a discussion base.

07/17/2012 16:30 - Olivier Billard wrote:

> Why not simply offer a friendly GUI over the Git interactive rebase edit
> text ?
> Like Drag&Droping lines to rearrange commits, etc ?
>
> Edited text would be then pushed to the rebase
> More simply, another git frontend (should I mention its name ?) just
> displays this text. But in this case, you can have the full Git rebase
> power.
>

> -- Olivier
>

> 2012/7/17 midiarth <[hidden email]>
>
> > **
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> > >
> > > If I understand you correctly, this should be possible by just adding
> > your commits, rearrange them and join some of them later.
> >
> > Yes, as I said in my last paragraph. I can, and I do, rearrange commits
> > before pushing, even in the current SmartGit version.
> >
> > But this is about convenience. Your announced functionality will make that
> > easier, and I added my wish for an additional workflow.
> >
> > Of course, that workflow, of "committing some of the current changes into
> > e.g. HEAD^^ without any fuss", would have to appeal to others in order to
> > have it implemented.
> >
> > ::tor

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

amarchsteiner

Could I please get an estimate for when that might be?

Yours,
Anders Marchsteiner

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Please wait a little bit until we released a first preview for the next SmartGit release. Then we have a discussion base.

> 07/17/2012 16:30 - Olivier Billard wrote:
>
> > Why not simply offer a friendly GUI over the Git interactive rebase edit
> > text ?
> > Like Drag&Droping lines to rearrange commits, etc ?
> >
> > Edited text would be then pushed to the rebase
> > More simply, another git frontend (should I mention its name ?) just
> > displays this text. But in this case, you can have the full Git rebase
> > power.
> >

> > -- Olivier
> >

> > 2012/7/17 midiarth <th@...>
> >
> > > **

> > > your commits, rearrange them and join some of them later.
> > >
> > > Yes, as I said in my last paragraph. I can, and I do, rearrange commits
> > > before pushing, even in the current SmartGit version.
> > >
> > > But this is about convenience. Your announced functionality will make that
> > > easier, and I added my wish for an additional workflow.
> > >
> > > Of course, that workflow, of "committing some of the current changes into
> > > e.g. HEAD^^ without any fuss", would have to appeal to others in order to
> > > have it implemented.
> > >
> > > ::tor

Re: Interactive rebasing ?

syntevo Support
A very raw estimate could be October for the first public preview.