List of Feature Requests

Sébastien Rombauts
Hi all,

I've been using the 4.6 previews and rcs, nice work again !

I wrote a list of few small (or not) things that would be great in a day-to-day basis... so here it is in kind of raw format.

* Log Toolbar Buttons
- Pull (to Fetch new branches/tags/commits) : someone else asked for "An easy way to fetch and/or pull from remotes while in the Log window"

* Outgoing
- unpushed Tags would be great!

* List/Highlight unmerged branches

* Log
- (already asked by someone else) adding an "Uncommitted Changes" item to the commits list, and it is connected to the most recent commit in the current branch so you can see where it is going to be when the commit is done. When that item is selected then the diffs for the uncommitted files are shown and when existing commits are selected in the list then the diffs for those changes are shown

* Log Context Menu
- Bug: "Add Branch..." : wrong text "Add Branch to current HEAD commit" => "HEAD" is not appropriate
- Feature: "Rename..." similar to "Delete..." (witch is perfect !)
- Feature: "Compare to HEAD" similar to "Rebase to HEAD" / "Rebase HEAD to" (just a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits by selecting them)
- Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the Branches tab
- Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools

* External tools
- (script or alias) with selected commits/branches/tags (not files)

* Bisect
- at least some basic support to show status of existing command line git bisect opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time, git bisect good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)

* Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"

* Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)

Thanks for reading!

Sebastien Rombauts
INEO Systrans
Acheres, France

Re: List of Feature Requests

syntevo Support
> * Log Toolbar Buttons
> - Pull (to Fetch new branches/tags/commits) : someone else asked for "An easy
> way to fetch and/or pull from remotes while in the Log window"

We have that on the RFE list.

> * Outgoing
> - unpushed Tags would be great!

Unfortunately, Git does not allow to *locally* distinguish between pushed and unpushed tags.

> * List/Highlight unmerged branches

What's the use case here? Maybe working with git-flow will make such a request obsolete.

> * Log
> - (already asked by someone else) adding an "Uncommitted Changes" item to the
> commits list, and it is connected to the most recent commit in the current
> branch so you can see where it is going to be when the commit is done. When
> that item is selected then the diffs for the uncommitted files are shown and
> when existing commits are selected in the list then the diffs for those changes
> are shown

Good point. We have that on the RFE list.

> * Log Context Menu
> - Bug: "Add Branch..." : wrong text "Add Branch to current HEAD commit" =>
> "HEAD" is not appropriate

Thanks, that will be fixed for 4.5.6.

> - Feature: "Rename..." similar to "Delete..." (witch is perfect !)

So it's specifically about the context menu action? You can rename branches in the Branches view already, btw.

> - Feature: "Compare to HEAD" similar to "Rebase to HEAD" / "Rebase HEAD to"
> (just a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits by
> selecting them)

I'd prefer to make this hidden feature (of selecting two commits) in some other way more obvious. But how?

> - Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the Branches tab

This may not work as expected, because if there is another descendant branch, nothing will happen.

> - Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools

Stashes are very much related to the working tree, hence I wouldn't put that in the Log.

> * External tools
> - (script or alias) with selected commits/branches/tags (not files)

I've added this to the RFE list (SG-3697).

> * Bisect
> - at least some basic support to show status of existing command line git bisect
> opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time, git bisect
> good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)

You are the first one asking for bisect support. I'm wondering how frequently this feature is actually used?

> * Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"

Can we easily integrate that into the Log? Maybe having an additional filter which allows to specify a path pattern like /dir/to/diff/*?

> * Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)

We are already supporting commit templates. Is that what you are looking for?

06/26/2013 13:10 - srombauts wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been using the 4.6 previews and rcs, nice work again !
>
> I wrote a list of few small (or not) things that would be great in a day-to-day
> basis... so here it is in kind of raw format.
>
> * Log Toolbar Buttons
> - Pull (to Fetch new branches/tags/commits) : someone else asked for "An easy way
> to fetch and/or pull from remotes while in the Log window"
>
> * Outgoing
> - unpushed Tags would be great!
>
> * List/Highlight unmerged branches
>
> * Log
> - (already asked by someone else) adding an "Uncommitted Changes" item to the
> commits list, and it is connected to the most recent commit in the current branch
> so you can see where it is going to be when the commit is done. When that item is
> selected then the diffs for the uncommitted files are shown and when existing
> commits are selected in the list then the diffs for those changes are shown
>
> * Log Context Menu
> - Bug: "Add Branch..." : wrong text "Add Branch to current HEAD commit" => "HEAD"
> is not appropriate
> - Feature: "Rename..." similar to "Delete..." (witch is perfect !)
> - Feature: "Compare to HEAD" similar to "Rebase to HEAD" / "Rebase HEAD to" (just
> a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits by selecting
> them)
> - Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the Branches tab
> - Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools
>
> * External tools
> - (script or alias) with selected commits/branches/tags (not files)
>
> * Bisect
> - at least some basic support to show status of existing command line git bisect
> opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time, git bisect
> good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)
>
> * Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"
>
> * Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)
>
> Thanks for reading!
>
> Sebastien Rombauts
> INEO Systrans
> Acheres, France

Re: List of Feature Requests

Sébastien Rombauts
> > * Outgoing
> > - unpushed Tags would be great!
>
> Unfortunately, Git does not allow to *locally* distinguish between pushed
and unpushed tags.

I am using a git alias in my .gitconfig for this, that I've just shared
here:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/17337435/1163698

[alias]
    unpushed-tags = "!bash -c \"comm -23 <(git show-ref --tags | cut -d ' '
-f 2) <(git ls-remote --tags origin | cut -f 2)\""

> > * List/Highlight unmerged branches
>
> What's the use case here? Maybe working with git-flow will make such a
request obsolete.

We are using a variant of git-flow. But sorry, I don't see the point; you
need to keep tracks of all unmerged feature and fix branches when you are
in the role of the integrator.
In my day job I have to carefully select which fix or feature are ready to
be merged, from the other that need to wait for a better timing, depending
on the planning and phasing of releases.

I am using another git alias in my .gitconfig for this:

[alias]
    unmerged-branches = !bash -c 'comm -12 <(git branch -r --no-merged
master) <(git branch -r --no-merged origin/maintenance/jalon-2a | grep -v
HEAD)' -

> > - Feature: "Rename..." similar to "Delete..." (witch is perfect !)
>
> So it's specifically about the context menu action? You can rename
branches in the Branches view already, btw.

Yes, I am using a lot the "Log" window, and specifically the "Commits"
context menu.
I sometimes have to do cherry-picking to re-create clean branches, thus
having to:
- Rename the "name" branche with a "_old" suffix for instance
- Add branch with the original "name"
- Cherry-pick (or command line rebase --onto)
- Delete the "name_old" branch
=> in this workflow, everything but the renaming can be done directly from
the "Commits" context menu

> > - Feature: "Compare to HEAD" similar to "Rebase to HEAD" / "Rebase HEAD
to"
> > (just a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits
by
> > selecting them)
>
> I'd prefer to make this hidden feature (of selecting two commits) in some
other way more obvious. But how?

I tried to get better Ideas...
But I think it is quite like "Merge" and "Rebase" commands; "compare to
HEAD" is the easiest context menu I can come with.
It would really help beginners

> > - Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the
Branches tab

> This may not work as expected, because if there is another descendant
branch, nothing will happen.

Same problem as the 'Toggle' into the Branches tab, but would still be
useful

> > - Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools
>
> Stashes are very much related to the working tree, hence I wouldn't put
that in the Log.

But you added the wonderful "Apply Stash" toolbar button that come into
life when a stash is selected in the log...
So a context menu would be even more appropriate and efficient (less mouse
movements)

> > * Bisect
> > - at least some basic support to show status of existing command line
git bisect
> > opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time,
git bisect
> > good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)
>
> You are the first one asking for bisect support. I'm wondering how
frequently this feature is actually used?

Many does not even now about it! And many more did not tried it because it
seems complex.
But when you try it and find a regression with it, whoa!

So a dedicated menu or toolbar button would help advertising it (like
git-flow):
Git Bisect:
- start
- good
- bad
- log
- reset

- At the very least I would love a basic support to remind me a bisect
state.
- Second feature would be to show the 'bisect/bad' refs into the log like
tags or branches
- Then menus/buttons to manage the process
- And finally showing bisect log mapped to the Commits Log (coloring the
commits, or something with an icon)

> > * Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"
>
> Can we easily integrate that into the Log? Maybe having an additional
filter which allows to specify a path pattern like /dir/to/diff/*?

Another context menu "Compare dir with HEAD"

> > * Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)
>
> We are already supporting commit templates. Is that what you are looking
for?

Nice, I did not find about it. Where is it?

Best regards!

> Marc Strapetz

 **

> [...]

to" (just
> a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits by
selecting
> them)
> - Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the
Branches tab
> - Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools
>
> * External tools
> - (script or alias) with selected commits/branches/tags (not files)
>
> * Bisect
> - at least some basic support to show status of existing command line git
bisect
> opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time,
git bisect

> good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)
>
> * Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"
>
> * Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: List of Feature Requests

syntevo Support
> > > * Outgoing
> > > - unpushed Tags would be great!
> >
> > Unfortunately, Git does not allow to *locally* distinguish between pushed
> and unpushed tags.
>
> I am using a git alias in my .gitconfig for this, that I've just shared
> here:
> http://stackoverflow.com/a/17337435/1163698
>
> [alias]
>     unpushed-tags = "!bash -c \"comm -23 <(git show-ref --tags | cut -d ' '
> -f 2) <(git ls-remote --tags origin | cut -f 2)\""

But that's again using ls-remote what I'd like to avoid.

> > > * List/Highlight unmerged branches
> >
> > What's the use case here? Maybe working with git-flow will make such a
> request obsolete.
> >
> We are using a variant of git-flow. But sorry, I don't see the point; you
> need to keep tracks of all unmerged feature and fix branches when you are
> in the role of the integrator.

My point was that in git-flow all feature branches are by definition "unmerged" and once you finish a feature, the feature branch will be removed.

> > > - Feature: "Rename..." similar to "Delete..." (witch is perfect !)
> >
> > So it's specifically about the context menu action? You can rename
> branches in the Branches view already, btw.
> >
> Yes, I am using a lot the "Log" window, and specifically the "Commits"
> context menu.
> I sometimes have to do cherry-picking to re-create clean branches, thus
> having to:
> - Rename the "name" branche with a "_old" suffix for instance
> - Add branch with the original "name"
> - Cherry-pick (or command line rebase --onto)
> - Delete the "name_old" branch
> => in this workflow, everything but the renaming can be done directly from
> the "Commits" context menu

OK, added as RFE.

> > > - Feature: "Compare to HEAD" similar to "Rebase to HEAD" / "Rebase HEAD
> to"
> > > (just a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits
> by
> > > selecting them)
> >
> > I'd prefer to make this hidden feature (of selecting two commits) in some
> other way more obvious. But how?
>
> I tried to get better Ideas...
> But I think it is quite like "Merge" and "Rebase" commands; "compare to
> HEAD" is the easiest context menu I can come with.
> It would really help beginners

So it would basically just set the selection to the current commit and HEAD? We will discuss that.

> > > - Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the
> Branches tab
> >
> > This may not work as expected, because if there is another descendant
> branch, nothing will happen.
>
> Same problem as the 'Toggle' into the Branches tab, but would still be
> useful

It's different: in the flat "Branches" view, you are toggling a branch while in the "Commits" graph you would toggle a part of the graph (or at least you would expect that). In the "Branches" view, toggling means changing the checkbox, while in the "Commits" graph nothing might happen at all when toggling.

> > > - Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools
> >
> > Stashes are very much related to the working tree, hence I wouldn't put
> that in the Log.
>
> But you added the wonderful "Apply Stash" toolbar button that come into
> life when a stash is selected in the log...
> So a context menu would be even more appropriate and efficient (less mouse
> movements)

I agree. Added as RFE as well.

> > > * Bisect
> > > - at least some basic support to show status of existing command line
> git bisect
> > > opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time,
> git bisect
> > > good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)
> >
> > You are the first one asking for bisect support. I'm wondering how
> frequently this feature is actually used?
>
> Many does not even now about it! And many more did not tried it because it
> seems complex.
> But when you try it and find a regression with it, whoa!
>
> So a dedicated menu or toolbar button would help advertising it (like
> git-flow):
> Git Bisect:
> - start
> - good
> - bad
> - log
> - reset
>
> - At the very least I would love a basic support to remind me a bisect
> state.
> - Second feature would be to show the 'bisect/bad' refs into the log like
> tags or branches
> - Then menus/buttons to manage the process
> - And finally showing bisect log mapped to the Commits Log (coloring the
> commits, or something with an icon)

This sounds interesting. Added as RFE as well.

> > > * Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"
> >
> > Can we easily integrate that into the Log? Maybe having an additional
> filter which allows to specify a path pattern like /dir/to/diff/*?
>
> Another context menu "Compare dir with HEAD"

That would give a temporarily restricted state in the "Files" area ... rather hard to understand.

> > > * Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)
> >
> > We are already supporting commit templates. Is that what you are looking
> for?
>
> Nice, I did not find about it. Where is it?

Have a look at the git config "commit.template" option:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html

06/27/2013 11:00 - Sébastien Rombauts wrote:

> [...]
> to" (just
> > a helper to help people understand the how to compare two commits by
> selecting
> > them)
> > - Feature: "Hide Branch" (doing the same as the "Toogle" into the
> Branches tab
> > - Feature: "Apply Stash..." when stash selected Tools
> >
> > * External tools
> > - (script or alias) with selected commits/branches/tags (not files)
> >
> > * Bisect
> > - at least some basic support to show status of existing command line git
> bisect
> > opération (git bisect log, and git bisect reset, and in a second time,
> git bisect
> > good, git bisect bad, and finally git bisect start)
> >
> > * Compare two commit directories like "git difftool --dir-diff"
> >
> > * Commit message formatting rules (like in various free git gui)

Re: List of Feature Requests

Thomas Singer
Administrator
> I sometimes have to do cherry-picking to re-create clean branches, thus
> having to:
> - Rename the "name" branche with a "_old" suffix for instance
> - Add branch with the original "name"
> - Cherry-pick (or command line rebase --onto)
> - Delete the "name_old" branch
> => in this workflow, everything but the renaming can be done directly from
> the "Commits" context menu

There is no need to rename a branch. Just create a new one "<name>_old"
old at the location where "<name>" exists. Then reset hard to the new
location before cherry-picking it.

Re: List of Feature Requests

Sébastien Rombauts

> > > What's the use case here? Maybe working with git-flow will make such a
> > request obsolete.
> > >
> > We are using a variant of git-flow. But sorry, I don't see the point; you
> > need to keep tracks of all unmerged feature and fix branches when you are
> > in the role of the integrator.
>
> My point was that in git-flow all feature branches are by definition
> "unmerged" and once you finish a feature, the feature branch will be
> removed.

Oh yes, right, now I see your point.
And thus, I see more clearly where our problem is: we want to keep branches
for a (very) long time to be able to reference them in issue trackers and
various documents.
=> We sometimes want to backport/cherry-pick a specific feature develop on
a branch for a client years before, to a new client.

> HEAD
> > to"
> commits
> > by
> > >
> > > I'd prefer to make this hidden feature (of selecting two commits) in
> some
> > other way more obvious. But how?
> >
> > I tried to get better Ideas...
> > But I think it is quite like "Merge" and "Rebase" commands; "compare to
> > HEAD" is the easiest context menu I can come with.
> > It would really help beginners
>
> So it would basically just set the selection to the current commit and
> HEAD? We will discuss that.

Exactly.

> > > Can we easily integrate that into the Log? Maybe having an additional
> > filter which allows to specify a path pattern like /dir/to/diff/*?
> >
> > Another context menu "Compare dir with HEAD"
>
> That would give a temporarily restricted state in the "Files" area ...
> rather hard to understand.

I was only thinking of a GUI way to select a commit "abcd" and "compare dir
to HEAD" calling command ligne git with "git difftool --dir-diff abcd HEAD"

> > > We are already supporting commit templates. Is that what you are
> looking
> > for?
> >
> > Nice, I did not find about it. Where is it?
>
> Have a look at the git config "commit.template" option:
>
> https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-config.html

Thank you very much for all you reply, and keep on the nice job!

Best regards,
SRombauts

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: List of Feature Requests

syntevo Support

> > > request obsolete.
> > > >
> > > We are using a variant of git-flow. But sorry, I don't see the point; you
> > > need to keep tracks of all unmerged feature and fix branches when you are
> > > in the role of the integrator.
> >
> > My point was that in git-flow all feature branches are by definition
> > "unmerged" and once you finish a feature, the feature branch will be
> > removed.
> >

> Oh yes, right, now I see your point.
> And thus, I see more clearly where our problem is: we want to keep branches
> for a (very) long time to be able to reference them in issue trackers and
> various documents.
> => We sometimes want to backport/cherry-pick a specific feature develop on
> a branch for a client years before, to a new client.

For a general repository layout, this "unmerged" state is rather vague (to where hasn't it been merged?). In case of git-flow we could detect which branches are reachable from "develop". That may be expensive in case of a large repository, though, but definitely helpful as I see now.

> > > filter which allows to specify a path pattern like /dir/to/diff/*?
> > >
> > > Another context menu "Compare dir with HEAD"
> >
> > That would give a temporarily restricted state in the "Files" area ...
> > rather hard to understand.
> >

> I was only thinking of a GUI way to select a commit "abcd" and "compare dir
> to HEAD" calling command ligne git with "git difftool --dir-diff abcd HEAD"

We don't invoke command line Git for queries -- here jgit is much better suited and results are easier to integrate into the UI.