Merge of redesigned code

Let say that I redesigned a file/code in a branch called "feature/NewCode".
However, some corrections and changes have been made in this file in
develop branch and I need to check every change to identify if one of them
must be incorporated in the new code.

How is the best way to approach this task? The merge tool actually doesn't
help much in these cases.

I am thinking of finding the common ancestor commit and check the
differences between the "base version" (common ancestor) and the last
version of the file in the develop branch (just after the merge). Is this a
good approach? How to find the common ancestor version of a file using
SmartGit?

Best regards,
Luiz Carlos

Re: Merge of redesigned code

SmartGit mailing list
> How is the best way to approach this task? The merge tool actually doesn't
> help much in these cases.

I think Merge should be quite helpful here: just temporarily merge your changes from develop to your new branch, then you may inspect modifications, compile, run unit tests ...