Missing option "git checkout -m"

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Missing option "git checkout -m"

Norbert Nemec
Use case:

I edit files. Then I realize that the changes deserve a new branch. I
create a branch at the current HEAD want and want to switch to it
without changing Index or working tree.

The git CLI option "git checkout -m" allows me to do this. In SmartGIT,
I can't find a way.

Greetings,
Norbert

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smartgit/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    [hidden email]
    [hidden email]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [hidden email]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing option "git checkout -m"

syntevo Support
> I edit files. Then I realize that the changes deserve a new branch. I
> create a branch at the current HEAD want and want to switch to it
> without changing Index or working tree.

If you are creating a new branch on your current HEAD, there should be no problems when using Add Branch and performing "Add & Switch". You won't need "-m".

> The git CLI option "git checkout -m" allows me to do this. In SmartGIT,
> I can't find a way.

Actually, this option is not supported yet. Added to the RFE list.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
=============
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com


01/13/2012 10:30 - Norbert Nemec wrote:

> Use case:
>
> I edit files. Then I realize that the changes deserve a new branch. I
> create a branch at the current HEAD want and want to switch to it
> without changing Index or working tree.
>
> The git CLI option "git checkout -m" allows me to do this. In SmartGIT,
> I can't find a way.
>
> Greetings,
> Norbert
>
> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> [hidden email]
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic
>
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>
>
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Missing option "git checkout -m"

Andrew Herron
In reply to this post by Norbert Nemec
> I edit files. Then I realize that the changes deserve a new branch. I
> create a branch at the current HEAD want and want to switch to it
> without changing Index or working tree.
>
> The git CLI option "git checkout -m" allows me to do this. In SmartGIT,
> I can't find a way.
>
>

I normally use checkout -b for this. -m looks like it's designed to merge with an existing branch, not create a new one?

Cheers,
Andy


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]