Offsite backup via SmartGit?

barry46792
Hi, I am new to SmartGit and Git.

I am only using SmartGit in its simplest form. I have a single person project. I am using GIT for versioning, and because I intend to move my project to GitHub once I have passed some milestones.

In the meantime what is the easiest way to perform an offsite backup of my project. I have an FTP site but I don't know how to get SmartGit package something up to send there.

I see talk of git --mirror or git bundle. Are these things possible via SmartGit, or what is the recommended SmartGit approach to backup in my early situation?

Thanks.

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

syntevo Support
Please describe your current setup in more details. Where is your Git repository located. How is the FTP server related to Git/SmartGit.

10/05/2011 09:40 - barry46792 wrote:

> Hi, I am new to SmartGit and Git.
>
> I am only using SmartGit in its simplest form. I have a single person project. I
> am using GIT for versioning, and because I intend to move my project to GitHub
> once I have passed some milestones.
>
> In the meantime what is the easiest way to perform an offsite backup of my
> project. I have an FTP site but I don't know how to get SmartGit package something
> up to send there.
>
> I see talk of git --mirror or git bundle. Are these things possible via SmartGit,
> or what is the recommended SmartGit approach to backup in my early situation?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

barry46792

My current repository is just on my own PC; same machine that I am doing the development upon, different drive, but same machine.

I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository there until I achieve some milestones.

The FTP server isn't related to either. It is just a remote machine that I can control, and is therefore somewhere I would like to store my offsite backups in the interim.

Just wondering how, or if, I could use SmartGit to deliver up some single object which I could ftp off site (or is there some more GIT in tune way to do this?). At present I zip up my whole development environment, including the .git directory, and then ftp that to the remote site.

Thanks for your interest.

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> Please describe your current setup in more details. Where is your Git repository located. How is the FTP server related to Git/SmartGit.

> 10/05/2011 09:40 - barry46792 wrote:
>
> > Hi, I am new to SmartGit and Git.
> >
> > I am only using SmartGit in its simplest form. I have a single person project. I
> > am using GIT for versioning, and because I intend to move my project to GitHub
> > once I have passed some milestones.
> >
> > In the meantime what is the easiest way to perform an offsite backup of my
> > project. I have an FTP site but I don't know how to get SmartGit package something
> > up to send there.
> >
> > I see talk of git --mirror or git bundle. Are these things possible via SmartGit,
> > or what is the recommended SmartGit approach to backup in my early situation?
> >
> > Thanks.

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

syntevo Support
> I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository
> there until I achieve some milestones.

It still sounds like this would be the best way to have "incremental backups": create a private backup repository at GitHub, add it as remote to your local repository (Manage Remotes) and push to that repository in regular intervals.

10/05/2011 15:40 - barry46792 wrote:

> My current repository is just on my own PC; same machine that I am doing the
> development upon, different drive, but same machine.
>
> I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository
> there until I achieve some milestones.
>
> The FTP server isn't related to either. It is just a remote machine that I can
> control, and is therefore somewhere I would like to store my offsite backups in
> the interim.
>
> Just wondering how, or if, I could use SmartGit to deliver up some single object
> which I could ftp off site (or is there some more GIT in tune way to do this?). At
> present I zip up my whole development environment, including the .git directory,
> and then ftp that to the remote site.
>
> Thanks for your interest.
>

> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:
> >
> > Please describe your current setup in more details. Where is your Git repository located. How is the FTP server related to Git/SmartGit.

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >

> > 10/05/2011 09:40 - barry46792 wrote:
> >
> > > Hi, I am new to SmartGit and Git.
> > >
> > > I am only using SmartGit in its simplest form. I have a single person project. I
> > > am using GIT for versioning, and because I intend to move my project to GitHub
> > > once I have passed some milestones.
> > >
> > > In the meantime what is the easiest way to perform an offsite backup of my
> > > project. I have an FTP site but I don't know how to get SmartGit package something
> > > up to send there.
> > >
> > > I see talk of git --mirror or git bundle. Are these things possible via SmartGit,
> > > or what is the recommended SmartGit approach to backup in my early situation?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

barry46792

I don't think that i will need to pay for a private repository as this is an open source project, I'm just not ready to publish it yet.

SmartGit has no facility to spit out a backup bundle, or whatever, from its repository?

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> > I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository
> > there until I achieve some milestones.
>
> It still sounds like this would be the best way to have "incremental backups": create a private backup repository at GitHub, add it as remote to your local repository (Manage Remotes) and push to that repository in regular intervals.

> Marc Strapetz
>

> 10/05/2011 15:40 - barry46792 wrote:
>

> > My current repository is just on my own PC; same machine that I am doing the
> > development upon, different drive, but same machine.
> >
> > I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository
> > there until I achieve some milestones.
> >
> > The FTP server isn't related to either. It is just a remote machine that I can
> > control, and is therefore somewhere I would like to store my offsite backups in
> > the interim.
> >
> > Just wondering how, or if, I could use SmartGit to deliver up some single object
> > which I could ftp off site (or is there some more GIT in tune way to do this?). At
> > present I zip up my whole development environment, including the .git directory,
> > and then ftp that to the remote site.
> >
> > Thanks for your interest.
> >

> > --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please describe your current setup in more details. Where is your Git repository located. How is the FTP server related to Git/SmartGit.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > =============
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

Prakash Nadar
You could use google or bitbucket for remote hosting and its free for some 2gig data I think

Also, it is never to late to publish a open source project, someone may be ready to help you with your project if they want to.

I think at bitbucket you can make the repository private as well.

Git push to a remote repository is a good "backing up" command. That’s what distributed system is all about.
i.e everyone has a copy, copy = backup.

-prakash

From: barry46792 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 18:32:52 -0700
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: [smartgit] Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

--- In [hidden email]<mailto:smartgit%40yahoogroups.com>, syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> > I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository
> > there until I achieve some milestones.
>
> It still sounds like this would be the best way to have "incremental backups": create a private backup repository at GitHub, add it as remote to your local repository (Manage Remotes) and push to that repository in regular intervals.

> Marc Strapetz
>

> 10/05/2011 15:40 - barry46792 wrote:
>

> > My current repository is just on my own PC; same machine that I am doing the
> > development upon, different drive, but same machine.
> >
> > I have a GitHub account, but wasn't planning upon creating my remote repository
> > there until I achieve some milestones.
> >
> > The FTP server isn't related to either. It is just a remote machine that I can
> > control, and is therefore somewhere I would like to store my offsite backups in
> > the interim.
> >
> > Just wondering how, or if, I could use SmartGit to deliver up some single object
> > which I could ftp off site (or is there some more GIT in tune way to do this?). At
> > present I zip up my whole development environment, including the .git directory,
> > and then ftp that to the remote site.
> >
> > Thanks for your interest.
> >

> > --- In [hidden email]<mailto:smartgit%40yahoogroups.com>, syntevo Support <smartgit@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Please describe your current setup in more details. Where is your Git repository located. How is the FTP server related to Git/SmartGit.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > =============
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

Norbert Nemec
Where is the harm in putting unfinished work on github anyway? There are
zillions of projects on the web. If you don't advertise your project
anywhere and leave the searchable comment minimal, noone will take notice.

Am 06.10.11 03:32, schrieb barry46792:
> I don't think that i will need to pay for a private repository as this
> is an open source project, I'm just not ready to publish it yet.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

barry46792
Thanks all.

Not really the answer I was looking for, but perhaps I am not thinking in GIT-speak yet :-)

Still seems to me that it is fairly natural requirement to have a bundle for backup facility in GitSmart. What say I want to take a copy of my repo away on my thumb drive, or I did a lot of work, but aren't ready to commit yet.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them

--- In [hidden email], "barry46792" <bmossman@...> wrote:

> Hi, I am new to SmartGit and Git.
>
> I am only using SmartGit in its simplest form. I have a single person project. I am using GIT for versioning, and because I intend to move my project to GitHub once I have passed some milestones.
>
> In the meantime what is the easiest way to perform an offsite backup of my project. I have an FTP site but I don't know how to get SmartGit package something up to send there.
>
> I see talk of git --mirror or git bundle. Are these things possible via SmartGit, or what is the recommended SmartGit approach to backup in my early situation?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

Ben Vesco
Take repo on the thumb drive? Copy the folder over. The entire repo is
contained inside the /.git folder there. That is the backup of everything.

Save work that you aren't ready to commit? Git has a different meaning of
commit than something like svn. In git commit only means to save in your
local computer. Push is the verb that is more analogous to svn commit. So
you can git commit your work but not git push it then it won't be anywhere
but on your machine. This is a very powerful feature. You could also opt to
use a stash, which is like a git commit but instead commits it to a
different "temporary" (but actually permanent) area where it will never be
lost.

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM, barry46792 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> Thanks all.
>
> Not really the answer I was looking for, but perhaps I am not thinking in
> GIT-speak yet :-)
>
> Still seems to me that it is fairly natural requirement to have a bundle
> for backup facility in GitSmart. What say I want to take a copy of my repo
> away on my thumb drive, or I did a lot of work, but aren't ready to commit
> yet.
>
> Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into them
>

> --- In [hidden email], "barry46792" <bmossman@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I am new to SmartGit and Git.
> >
> > I am only using SmartGit in its simplest form. I have a single person
> project. I am using GIT for versioning, and because I intend to move my
> project to GitHub once I have passed some milestones.
> >
> > In the meantime what is the easiest way to perform an offsite backup of
> my project. I have an FTP site but I don't know how to get SmartGit package
> something up to send there.
> >
> > I see talk of git --mirror or git bundle. Are these things possible via
> SmartGit, or what is the recommended SmartGit approach to backup in my early
> situation?
> >
> > Thanks.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: Offsite backup via SmartGit?

Prakash Nadar
If you are thinking of backing up the entire repository then Git bundle is not the answer.
If you want to back up some part of your dev code, then maybe, but still I would not call it a back-up for regular usage. Maybe once a while it is ok based on the situation.

>What say I want to take a copy of my repo away on my thumb drive,
You answered your problem nicely, I used to do that with mercurial long back. I had 2 computers (office and home) that I cannot move the thumbdrive was the best way to transport code without using remote location.

Take a thumdrive, init a bare repository. And whenever you want to take a backup, push your changes to the thumbdrive. You can then take a regular incremental backup of your repository by just pushing your changes to the thumb drive.

But, again it is never too late to post half baked code to the open source community. Now I am curious to know more about your project  ;)

-prakash

From: barry46792 <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 18:45:51 -0700
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>