Outgoing window on headless repository.

SmartGit mailing list
Hello smartgit,

Due to the number of branches being actively worked on, and limited server
bandwidth, we are using a headless local repository to access the remote
repository.  We then have multiple clones with working copies.

So what happens is, a commit is pushed from a clone with a working
copy, to the headless repository.  The Outgoing window for the headless
repository will show nothing, and there is no outgoing chevron on the
repository icon in the repository list.  I can still push the changes
to the remote repository, there just seems to be no indication that it
needs to be done.

 Mike                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Outgoing window on headless repository.

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Mike,

> Due to the number of branches being actively worked on, and limited server
> bandwidth, we are using a headless local repository to access the remote
> repository.

I'm not sure what you mean with "headless". Maybe a *bare* repository? Why not using a repository where only one branch is cloned?

> So what happens is, a commit is pushed from a clone with a working
> copy, to the headless repository.

You push *to* the "headless" repository and write

> The Outgoing window for the headless
> repository will show nothing

This sounds like you have open the repository open where you pushed some commits from a different repository. Is that right?

11/11/2014 17:00 - Mike [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hello smartgit,
>
> Due to the number of branches being actively worked on, and limited server
> bandwidth, we are using a headless local repository to access the remote
> repository.  We then have multiple clones with working copies.
>
> So what happens is, a commit is pushed from a clone with a working
> copy, to the headless repository.  The Outgoing window for the headless
> repository will show nothing, and there is no outgoing chevron on the
> repository icon in the repository list.  I can still push the changes
> to the remote repository, there just seems to be no indication that it
> needs to be done.

>  Mike                          mailto:[hidden email]

Re[2]: [smartgit] Outgoing window on headless repository.

SmartGit mailing list
Hello syntevo,

Sorry, perhaps I have the terminology mixed up and "bare" is the
correct word.  And I forgot to mention this is on Hg not Git.

anyhow the layout is like this: (excuse my ascii art)

    [remote repo]

         | internet

    [Bare local clone] (no working copy)
     |       |     |
[cloneA] [cloneB] [etc]  (these have working copies)

Just to reiterate, we're using a setup like this so that when we pull
updates, we only have to access the remote repository once in order to
update all the the clones working copies.

The problem here is when I push a commit from cloneA to "Bare",
SmartGit shows nothing in the Outgoing window for "Bare".

After further testing, even if the "Bare" repository is made into a
working copy of the same branch, the Outgoing window is still empty.

Wednesday, November 12, 2014, 3:39:39 AM, you wrote:

sSsscs> Hi Mike,

>> Due to the number of branches being actively worked on, and limited server
>> bandwidth, we are using a headless local repository to access the remote
>> repository.

sSsscs> I'm not sure what you mean with "headless". Maybe a *bare* repository? Why not using a repository where only one branch is cloned?

>> So what happens is, a commit is pushed from a clone with a working
>> copy, to the headless repository.

sSsscs> You push *to* the "headless" repository and write

>> The Outgoing window for the headless
>> repository will show nothing

sSsscs> This sounds like you have open the repository open where you pushed some commits from a different repository. Is that right?

sSsscs> --
sSsscs> Best regards,
sSsscs> Thomas Singer
sSsscs> syntevo GmbH
sSsscs> http://www.syntevo.com
sSsscs> http://blog.syntevo.com

 Mike                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Outgoing window on headless repository.

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Mike,

The Outgoing view only shows commits from the currently checked out branch. If your "Bare local clone" repository has no working copy (don't know how you created it), I guess, it also has no current branch. Hence, nothing is shown.

11/12/2014 15:30 - Mike [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hello syntevo,
>
> Sorry, perhaps I have the terminology mixed up and "bare" is the
> correct word.  And I forgot to mention this is on Hg not Git.
>
> anyhow the layout is like this: (excuse my ascii art)
>
>     [remote repo]
>          | internet
>     [Bare local clone] (no working copy)
>      |       |     |
> [cloneA] [cloneB] [etc]  (these have working copies)
>
> Just to reiterate, we're using a setup like this so that when we pull
> updates, we only have to access the remote repository once in order to
> update all the the clones working copies.
>
> The problem here is when I push a commit from cloneA to "Bare",
> SmartGit shows nothing in the Outgoing window for "Bare".
>
> After further testing, even if the "Bare" repository is made into a
> working copy of the same branch, the Outgoing window is still empty.
>
> Wednesday, November 12, 2014, 3:39:39 AM, you wrote:
>
> sSsscs> Hi Mike,
>
> >> Due to the number of branches being actively worked on, and limited server
> >> bandwidth, we are using a headless local repository to access the remote
> >> repository.
>
> sSsscs> I'm not sure what you mean with "headless". Maybe a *bare* repository? Why
> not using a repository where only one branch is cloned?
>
> >> So what happens is, a commit is pushed from a clone with a working
> >> copy, to the headless repository.
>
> sSsscs> You push *to* the "headless" repository and write
>
> >> The Outgoing window for the headless
> >> repository will show nothing
>
> sSsscs> This sounds like you have open the repository open where you pushed some
> commits from a different repository. Is that right?
>
> sSsscs> --
> sSsscs> Best regards,
> sSsscs> Thomas Singer
> sSsscs> syntevo GmbH
> sSsscs> http://www.syntevo.com
> sSsscs> http://blog.syntevo.com

>  Mike                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re[2]: [smartgit] Outgoing window on headless repository.

SmartGit mailing list
Hello syntevo,

Well, it is quite easy to create bare clone, "hg clone -u".
While SmartGit may not be able to do it (I'm not sure one way or
the other), Tortoise does it easily and also doable via command
line "hg update null".

IMHO, the Outgoing window should show everything to be pushed.
And again, the outgoing commits are available with "hg outgoing"
(without using -b or --branch)

sSsscs> Hi Mike,

sSsscs> The Outgoing view only shows commits from the currently checked out branch. If your "Bare local clone" repository has no working copy (don't know how you created it), I guess, it also has no
sSsscs> current branch. Hence, nothing is shown.

sSsscs> 11/12/2014 15:30 - Mike [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

>> Hello syntevo,
>>
>> Sorry, perhaps I have the terminology mixed up and "bare" is the
>> correct word.  And I forgot to mention this is on Hg not Git.
>>
>> anyhow the layout is like this: (excuse my ascii art)
>>
>>     [remote repo]
>>          | internet
>>     [Bare local clone] (no working copy)
>>      |       |     |
>> [cloneA] [cloneB] [etc]  (these have working copies)
>>
>> Just to reiterate, we're using a setup like this so that when we pull
>> updates, we only have to access the remote repository once in order to
>> update all the the clones working copies.
>>
>> The problem here is when I push a commit from cloneA to "Bare",
>> SmartGit shows nothing in the Outgoing window for "Bare".
>>
>> After further testing, even if the "Bare" repository is made into a
>> working copy of the same branch, the Outgoing window is still empty.
>>
>> Wednesday, November 12, 2014, 3:39:39 AM, you wrote:
>>
>> sSsscs> Hi Mike,

>> sSsscs> I'm not sure what you mean with "headless". Maybe a *bare* repository? Why
>> not using a repository where only one branch is cloned?

>> sSsscs> You push *to* the "headless" repository and write

>> sSsscs> This sounds like you have open the repository open where you pushed some
>> commits from a different repository. Is that right?
>>
>> sSsscs> --
>> sSsscs> Best regards,
>> sSsscs> Thomas Singer
>> sSsscs> syntevo GmbH
>> sSsscs> http://www.syntevo.com
>> sSsscs> http://blog.syntevo.com
>>

>> --
>> Best regards,
>>  Mike                            mailto:[hidden email]

sSsscs> Posted by: syntevo Support <[hidden email]>

sSsscs> Yahoo Groups Links

 Mike                            mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Outgoing window on headless repository.

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Mike,

SmartGit does not use Hg command line tool to determine outgoing commits, it directly accesses the repository to show just the outgoing commits of the currently checked out branch - like for the Git integration, too. Otherwise it would be very confusing, especially because you can use the Outgoing view to reorder commits.