Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

nCJj4qG9
Hi!
This is about what happens in SmartGit when I choose to commit only a subset of the changed files that are in a repository. What happens is that I get a dialogue with the following options (or similar) (Commit staged / Commit All Changes / Cancel).

This dialogue should really not appear, and here are a few reasons why:
 - The previous window (main window) shows my files, and some of those are staged (this is the purpose of staging).
 - The dialogue has an option ignore the stage entirely, and the button has a wording that sounds like a safe, default option.
 - Almost never, do I stage a subset of my files, and then choose not to respect the stage in this dialogue. That is: 'Commit all changes' is always the wrong option, and will cause trouble on my end.

Is there a way to disable this dialogue on my end?

If I could affect your decision, I would vote for the removal of this dialogue.

ps. I love SmartGit, so I apologize for the negative attitude of this message :-)

-Fredrik
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

SmartGit mailing list
Hm, I have never seen this dialogue before....
Best,
Dee

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:18 PM, nCJj4qG9 [hidden email] [smartgit]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
> Hi!
> This is about what happens in SmartGit when I choose to commit only a
> subset
> of the changed files that are in a repository. What happens is that I get a
> dialogue with the following options (or similar) (Commit staged / Commit
> All
> Changes / Cancel).
>
> This dialogue should really not appear, and here are a few reasons why:
> - The previous window (main window) shows my files, and some of those are
> staged (this is the purpose of staging).
> - The dialogue has an option ignore the stage entirely, and the button has
> a wording that sounds like a safe, default option.
> - Almost never, do I stage a subset of my files, and then choose not to
> respect the stage in this dialogue. That is: 'Commit all changes' is always
> the wrong option, and will cause trouble on my end.
>
> Is there a way to disable this dialogue on my end?
>
> If I could affect your decision, I would vote for the removal of this
> dialogue.
>
> ps. I love SmartGit, so I apologize for the negative attitude of this
> message :-)
>
> -Fredrik
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com/Partial-commits-cause-potentially-dangerous-dialogue-tp7575273.html
> Sent from the SmartGit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>  
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

nCJj4qG9
Here's how you can cause it to show up ( I just tested ).

You need to have some changed, but non-staged files when you do this.

From the main window -> "Remote" -> "Pull..." -> "Fetch Only" -> ... -> Back in main window -> "Merge" -> "Merge to working tree" -> Back in main window with an incomplete merge commit -> Commit... -> Commit -> Infamous Dialogue Here!

Is there no such dialogue on your end?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

WORMSS
In reply to this post by SmartGit mailing list
I see this all the time when I create a submodule and committing the ".gitmodules" and "path/to/submodule/sha".

I generally just ignore it. If I read the word subset on a dialog now I just generally press and accept.. No idea what it's about, but it's usually a warning I don't care about.

- Colin.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

SmartGit mailing list
In reply to this post by nCJj4qG9
> This dialogue should really not appear, and here are a few reasons why:
>  - The previous window (main window) shows my files, and some of those are
> staged (this is the purpose of staging).
>  - The dialogue has an option ignore the stage entirely, and the button has
> a wording that sounds like a safe, default option.
>  - Almost never, do I stage a subset of my files, and then choose not to
> respect the stage in this dialogue. That is: 'Commit all changes' is always
> the wrong option, and will cause trouble on my end.

As you have already noticed, this dialog occurs only in case of a pending merge (or cherry-pick). If you have a pending merge and there are local changes, you most likely always want to commit these changes, because they are usually the result of resolving a conflict.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com


09/15/2014 15:30 - nCJj4qG9 [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hi!
> This is about what happens in SmartGit when I choose to commit only a subset
> of the changed files that are in a repository. What happens is that I get a
> dialogue with the following options (or similar) (Commit staged / Commit All
> Changes / Cancel).
>
>
> This dialogue should really not appear, and here are a few reasons why:
>  - The previous window (main window) shows my files, and some of those are
> staged (this is the purpose of staging).
>  - The dialogue has an option ignore the stage entirely, and the button has
> a wording that sounds like a safe, default option.
>  - Almost never, do I stage a subset of my files, and then choose not to
> respect the stage in this dialogue. That is: 'Commit all changes' is always
> the wrong option, and will cause trouble on my end.
>
>
> Is there a way to disable this dialogue on my end?
>
>
> If I could affect your decision, I would vote for the removal of this
> dialogue.
>
>
> ps. I love SmartGit, so I apologize for the negative attitude of this
> message :-)
>
>
> -Fredrik
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com/Partial-commits-cause-potentially-dangerous-dialogue-tp7575273.html
> Sent from the SmartGit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

WORMSS
Is this different from committing a submodule then that involves no cherry picks or merging, just a simple merge of a empty repo?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

SmartGit mailing list
> Is this different from committing a submodule then that involves no cherry
> picks or merging, just a simple merge of a empty repo?

Actually, I wouldn't expect this dialog here. So if it's actually about the "Do you want to commit just the staged changes of the Merge?" question, all of these conditions must be satisfied:

- staged changes (instead of local changes) selected
- merging/cherry-picking
- not enforcing a simple commit (squash)
- there are modified working tree files

If you see it under different conditions, it's a bug.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com


09/15/2014 17:30 - WORMSS [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Is this different from committing a submodule then that involves no cherry
> picks or merging, just a simple merge of a empty repo?
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com/Partial-commits-cause-potentially-dangerous-dialogue-tp7575273p7575280.html
> Sent from the SmartGit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Partial commits cause potentially dangerous dialogue

nCJj4qG9
So you're seeing the dialogue now, good :-)

Does anyone agree that this dialogue in any case is doing more harm than good? And that it doesn't make sense to ask in the first place?
Loading...