Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

bernard
This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet.
Hi. I am a coding newbie and smartgit newbie too. I have been using github from the web browser previously (but only for committing and pulling requests), but decided to give it a go with smartgit.

I uploaded a new file to my forked repository. Now I would like to pull a request for that new uploaded file (pull a request to original upstream repository - the one from which I forked my repository).
Is that possible with smartgit?
If not, do I even need to pull a request when new file has been uploaded to the forked repository, and I want to "insert" that file to the original (upstream repository)?

Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

bernard
Any help with this please?
Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
> Any help with this please?

Help with what? Looks like the original message is missing.

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com


09/10/2014 14:00 - bernard [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Any help with this please?
> Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com/Pulling-reqest-at-github-for-new-uploaded-file-to-upstream-repository-tp7575221p7575228.html
> Sent from the SmartGit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

bernard
It seems like I haven't been subscribed, when I posted the initial post. I can still see at the top of this page, but is says: "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet. "

Here it is:


Hi. I am a coding newbie and smartgit newbie too. I have been using github from the web browser previously (but only for committing and pulling requests), but decided to give it a go with smartgit.

I uploaded a new file to my forked repository. Now I would like to pull a request for that new uploaded file (pull a request to original upstream repository - the one from which I forked my repository).
Is that possible with smartgit?
If not, do I even need to pull a request when new file has been uploaded to the forked repository, and I want to "insert" that file to the original (upstream repository)?

Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
In reply to this post by SmartGit mailing list
It seems like I haven't been subscribed, when I posted the initial post at SmartGit | Mailing List Archive http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com 
 
 SmartGit | Mailing List Archive http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com SmartGit forum and mailing list archive. This group discusses ideas, problems with SmartGit, the user-friendly platform-independent Git client.
 
 
 
 View on smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com 
 Preview by Yahoo
 
 
 
. I can still see at the top of this page, but is says: "This post has NOT been accepted by the mailing list yet. "

Here it is:


Hi. I am a coding newbie and smartgit newbie too. I have been using github from the web browser previously (but only for committing and pulling requests), but decided to give it a go with smartgit.

I uploaded a new file to my forked repository. Now I would like to pull a request for that new uploaded file (pull a request to original upstream repository - the one from which I forked my repository).
Is that possible with smartgit?
If not, do I even need to pull a request when new file has been uploaded to the forked repository, and I want to "insert" that file to the original (upstream repository)?

Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
In reply to this post by bernard
> I uploaded a new file to my forked repository. Now I would like to pull a
> request for that new uploaded file (pull a request to original upstream
> repository - the one from which I forked my repository).
> Is that possible with smartgit?
> If not, do I even need to pull a request when new file has been uploaded to
> the forked repository, and I want to "insert" that file to the original
> (upstream repository)?

To create a Pull Request, select the corresponding branch in the Branches view (in the Log!) and invoke Create Pull Request.

If you want to do something else, please explain exactly how you would do it directly on GitHub (screenshots will be helpful).

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com



09/10/2014 16:00 - bernard [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> It seems like I haven't been subscribed, when I posted the initial post. I
> can still see at the top of this page, but is says: "This post has NOT been
> accepted by the mailing list yet. "
>
>
> Here it is:
>
>
>
>
> Hi. I am a coding newbie and smartgit newbie too. I have been using github
> from the web browser previously (but only for committing and pulling
> requests), but decided to give it a go with smartgit.
>
>
> I uploaded a new file to my forked repository. Now I would like to pull a
> request for that new uploaded file (pull a request to original upstream
> repository - the one from which I forked my repository).
> Is that possible with smartgit?
> If not, do I even need to pull a request when new file has been uploaded to
> the forked repository, and I want to "insert" that file to the original
> (upstream repository)?
>
>
> Thank you.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context:
> http://smartgit.3668570.n2.nabble.com/Pulling-reqest-at-github-for-new-uploaded-file-to-upstream-repository-tp7575221p7575230.html
> Sent from the SmartGit mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

WORMSS
Just a side not bernard, you will need to add the upstream server as a remote (this is not something SmartGit does for you). So it will only be showing you origin branches (origin most likely being your fork).

Main SmartGit screen > Remote > Add >
URL: https://github.com/{The person you forked from}/{original repo name}
Name: 'upstream'   (Upstream is the standard convention, but it can be anything you want).

Click [Add].

You should now see "upstream" in your branches panel in bottom left of Main SmartGit screen.
You will need to do a Pull > Fetch since SmartGit does not do this for you.

If you go to your Log View. You will now see upstream > master (or what ever branch name you are after).

Now this is the part I am not exactly sure about.
Method 1
Right click upstream > master
select create pull request.
Select the branch you want your upstream to merge.

Method 2
Right click origin > (the branch you want them to merge)
select create pull request
Select the branch you want your branch to be merged into.

One of the two methods will be WRONG. Unfortunately I do not know which. I do not have 2 github accounts to test. But let me know which so I will know for the future.

Happy Forking!

- Colin.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
In reply to this post by SmartGit mailing list

 Thank you for the reply Mr. Strapetz,

Actually I can not show what I want to do on github, as it seems I can't do it that way.
Up until now I have only been editing the files on my forked repository. Then after editing, I pulled up a request.
 

 Now for the first time I would like to add a brand new file to the original upstream repository. I can add a new file to my forked repository, but when I try to pull a request for it to be merged with the upstream repository, I can't do that - there's simply no "Create pull request" green button in the upper left corner.

Why is that so?

 

 Am I wrong, or I simply do not need to pull a request when asking for a newly uploaded files from my forked repository to be added to the original upstream repository?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
can you provide a link to your gihub repository?

On Thu, Sep 11, 2014 at 8:38 PM, [hidden email] [smartgit] <
[hidden email]> wrote:

>
>
>
> Thank you for the reply Mr. Strapetz,
>
> Actually I can not show what I want to do on github, as it seems I can't
> do it that way.
> Up until now I have only been editing the files on my forked repository.
> Then after editing, I pulled up a request.
>
> Now for the first time I would like to add a brand new file to the
> original upstream repository. I can add a new file to my forked repository,
> but when I try to pull a request for it to be merged with the upstream
> repository, I can't do that - there's simply no "Create pull request"
> green button in the upper left corner.
>
> Why is that so?
>
> Am I wrong, or I simply do not need to pull a request when asking for a
> newly uploaded files from my forked repository to be added to the original
> upstream repository?
>
>  
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
Here is the link to the forked repository:
bit.ly/1qJ9374 http://bit.ly/1qJ9374
 
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
Does this provided link to the repository change something in the advice above?
Thank you.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
> Does this provided link to the repository change something in the advice above?
> Thank you.

Looks like you have performed a couple of commits since Jul 09, 2014. And you want all of them to be sent back to mostaphaRoudsari/ladybug? Then you would select Pull Request (right-side icon) and "New Pull Request" (green button)?

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com


09/14/2014 00:10 - [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Does this provided link to the repository change something in the advice above?
> Thank you.
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
Dear Mr. Strapetz

Thank you for the reply. But after that "New pull request" there should be "Create pull request" button in the upper left corner at this page https://github.com/stgeorges/ladybug/compare/mostaphaRoudsari:master...master. But that button is missing, there's nowhere to be found (unlike editing the the file, where this button always exists).
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
> Thank you for the reply. But after that "New pull request" there should be "Create
> pull request" button in the upper left corner at this page
> https://github.com/stgeorges/ladybug/compare/mostaphaRoudsari:master...master. But
> that button is missing, there's nowhere to be found

I also can't see that button for you repository, but for my own. Maybe it requires to be logged as the correct user?

> (unlike editing the the file, where this button always exists).

Can you please point to the exact page, where you can see this button?

--
Best regards,
Marc Strapetz
syntevo GmbH
http://www.syntevo.com
http://blog.syntevo.com



09/14/2014 12:10 - [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Dear Mr. Strapetz
>
> Thank you for the reply. But after that "New pull request" there should be "Create
> pull request" button in the upper left corner at this page
> https://github.com/stgeorges/ladybug/compare/mostaphaRoudsari:master...master. But
> that button is missing, there's nowhere to be found (unlike editing the the file,
> where this button always exists).
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Pulling reqest at github for new uploaded file, to upstream repository?

SmartGit mailing list
I am already the correct user (and I am logged in), and the button Create pull request" can't be found.
I though smartgit could somehow help me in solving this bug, but looks like, it can't.
Loading...