Push Advanced does not respect remote tracking branch

Push Advanced does not respect remote tracking branch

Eugene Kashpureff
Utilizing the Push Advanced dialog, 'Push current branch' and 'Push All "matching" branches' does not respect tracked-branches with a remote branch name different from that of the local branch name.

Example:
While on local branch "sparky", configured to track Sparky/master, pushing to the master named Sparky utilizing 'Push current branch' results in a new remote branch named "sparky" being created, rather than updating the existing remote branch master. Using the same local/remote branch configuration(after deleting the remote branch sparky), but utilizing the "matching" option results in no refs being pushed, as there is no remote branch named sparky. Expected behavior is that the tracked branch would be updated

Selecting the checkbox for 'into a non-default remote branch' and manually typing in "master" results in the push occurring correctly. Additionally, if the push is instead performed from the Commit dialog(checking the 'Push after commit' box under the commit message), the correct remote-tracking relationship is observed.

Re: Push Advanced does not respect remote tracking branch

syntevo Support
> Utilizing the Push Advanced dialog, 'Push current branch' and 'Push All
> "matching" branches' does not respect tracked-branches with a remote branch
> name different from that of the local branch name.

Thanks for reporting this problem. Behavior of 'Push current branch' will be fixed for the next release. For 'Push All "matching" branches', we simply issue a "git push <remote> :" (what is equivalent to "git push <remote>"). According to the docs, the behavior you see here is expected:

http://linux.die.net/man/1/git-push

09/19/2011 06:50 - Eugene Kashpureff wrote:

> Utilizing the Push Advanced dialog, 'Push current branch' and 'Push All "matching"
> branches' does not respect tracked-branches with a remote branch name different
> from that of the local branch name.
>
> Example:
> While on local branch "sparky", configured to track Sparky/master, pushing to the
> master named Sparky utilizing 'Push current branch' results in a new remote branch
> named "sparky" being created, rather than updating the existing remote branch
> master. Using the same local/remote branch configuration(after deleting the remote
> branch sparky), but utilizing the "matching" option results in no refs being
> pushed, as there is no remote branch named sparky. Expected behavior is that the
> tracked branch would be updated
>
> Selecting the checkbox for 'into a non-default remote branch' and manually typing
> in "master" results in the push occurring correctly. Additionally, if the push is
> instead performed from the Commit dialog(checking the 'Push after commit' box
> under the commit message), the correct remote-tracking relationship is observed.

Re: Push Advanced does not respect remote tracking branch

Eugene Kashpureff
The current behavior on "matching" makes sense, after doing some CLI tests. I was expecting a bare 'git push' to send up all tracked branches, but this is not the case.

What are your thoughts on adding an option to 'Push all "tracked" branches' ?

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> > Utilizing the Push Advanced dialog, 'Push current branch' and 'Push All
> > "matching" branches' does not respect tracked-branches with a remote branch
> > name different from that of the local branch name.
>
> Thanks for reporting this problem. Behavior of 'Push current branch' will be fixed for the next release. For 'Push All "matching" branches', we simply issue a "git push <remote> :" (what is equivalent to "git push <remote>"). According to the docs, the behavior you see here is expected:
>
> http://linux.die.net/man/1/git-push

> Marc Strapetz
>

> 09/19/2011 06:50 - Eugene Kashpureff wrote:
>
> > Utilizing the Push Advanced dialog, 'Push current branch' and 'Push All "matching"
> > branches' does not respect tracked-branches with a remote branch name different
> > from that of the local branch name.
> >
> > Example:
> > While on local branch "sparky", configured to track Sparky/master, pushing to the
> > master named Sparky utilizing 'Push current branch' results in a new remote branch
> > named "sparky" being created, rather than updating the existing remote branch
> > master. Using the same local/remote branch configuration(after deleting the remote
> > branch sparky), but utilizing the "matching" option results in no refs being
> > pushed, as there is no remote branch named sparky. Expected behavior is that the
> > tracked branch would be updated
> >
> > Selecting the checkbox for 'into a non-default remote branch' and manually typing
> > in "master" results in the push occurring correctly. Additionally, if the push is
> > instead performed from the Commit dialog(checking the 'Push after commit' box
> > under the commit message), the correct remote-tracking relationship is observed.

Re: Push Advanced does not respect remote tracking branch

syntevo Support
> What are your thoughts on adding an option to 'Push all "tracked" branches' ?

IMHO, this actually makes more sense than Git's "matching branches", however it's not supported natively by Git, so we haven't implemented that yet. Probably we will replace "matching branches" by "tracked branches" behavior in a future version.