Push Hangs

jonbprime
Hey everyone, new to the group, SmartGit and Git so bare with me here...

I have Git and SmartGit installed. I chose the "system SSH client" so that things would be "the same" as when I use the Git command line.

I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted for something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?

Thanks,
Jon

Re: Push Hangs

syntevo Support
> I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the
> remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted
> for something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?

Actually, for SSH connections, SmartGit assumes that Git won't ask for any details. Please try "git push" from the command line and post what Git prompts you.

09/21/2011 17:10 - jonbprime wrote:

> Hey everyone, new to the group, SmartGit and Git so bare with me here...
>
> I have Git and SmartGit installed. I chose the "system SSH client" so that things
> would be "the same" as when I use the Git command line.
>
> I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the
> remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted for
> something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Re: Push Hangs

jonbprime
git push wants a password. I have put in my password in SmartGit, so how else can I get around this problem? Other Git GUI tools seem to popup a password entry dialog when a password is required.

Thanks,
-J

--- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@...> wrote:

> > I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the
> > remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted
> > for something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?
>
> Actually, for SSH connections, SmartGit assumes that Git won't ask for any details. Please try "git push" from the command line and post what Git prompts you.

> Marc Strapetz
>

> 09/21/2011 17:10 - jonbprime wrote:
>
> > Hey everyone, new to the group, SmartGit and Git so bare with me here...
> >
> > I have Git and SmartGit installed. I chose the "system SSH client" so that things
> > would be "the same" as when I use the Git command line.
> >
> > I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the
> > remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted for
> > something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jon

Re: Push Hangs

Eugene Kashpureff
What SSH client are you using? Msysgit's included ssh.exe? Are you being prompted for a SSH password, or for a pubkey decryption password? If it's the latter, you may need to use a ssh-agent to enable the key in order to use it within SmartGit - I was not able to get it to work satisfactorily.

I use PuTTY's plink.exe in place of ssh.exe(by overwriting it), in combination with pubkeys stored in Pageant, to do all of my SSH authentication. I have found this solution to be far more cross-app compatible - I use the same key for PuTTY, FileZilla, SmartGit, HeidiSQL. Once the pubkey is unlocked in Pageant, there is no need to enter a password.

--- In [hidden email], "jonbprime" <jonbprime@...> wrote:

> git push wants a password. I have put in my password in SmartGit, so how else can I get around this problem? Other Git GUI tools seem to popup a password entry dialog when a password is required.
>
> Thanks,
> -J
>
> --- In [hidden email], syntevo Support <smartgit@> wrote:
> >
> > > I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the
> > > remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted
> > > for something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?
> >
> > Actually, for SSH connections, SmartGit assumes that Git won't ask for any details. Please try "git push" from the command line and post what Git prompts you.

> > Marc Strapetz
> > =============
> >

> > 09/21/2011 17:10 - jonbprime wrote:
> >
> > > Hey everyone, new to the group, SmartGit and Git so bare with me here...
> > >
> > > I have Git and SmartGit installed. I chose the "system SSH client" so that things
> > > would be "the same" as when I use the Git command line.
> > >
> > > I am able to open a local repository, but any operation that goes out to the
> > > remote repository (like refresh, or push) hangs. I assume git.exe has prompted for
> > > something that SmartGit is not handling? How do I fix/debug this issue?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Jon

Re: Push Hangs

> git push wants a password. I have put in my password in SmartGit, so how else
> can I get around this problem? Other Git GUI tools seem to popup a password
> entry dialog when a password is required.

In general, SSH should use the process specified by SSH_ASKPASS to prompt for various credentials. Unfortunately, on Windows there seems to be a problem how Git is invoked by SmartGit (resp. the Java Runtime Environment) which results in prompting to the console instead. We will try to fix that.