RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

syntevo Support
From time to time we are getting complaints that SmartGit's refreshing
of external changes does not work properly: usually it turns out that
file monitoring actually works but SmartGit simply is/was in background
(i.e. none of its frames had been activated) and hence it did not
refresh changes from the file system.

We have implemented refreshing this way to avoid that SmartGit consumes
too much resources while in background and, contrary to an IDE, SmartGit
tends to be in background most of the time.

Did you encounter similar problems, too? Or are you happy with the
current behavior?

Should we introduce an option to always refresh in case of file system
changes, no matter whether SmartGit is in background or not? Most
likely, SmartGit will consume (significantly) more resources in this
case. The benefit will be to almost always have an up-to-date view when
switching back to SmartGit.

Any comments and ideas are appreciated.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

WORMSS
I found that it tends to pick up the update quite well (unless SmartGit is doing a background fetch/ls-remote at the time).

Would it not be possible to have SmartGit monitor the file system UNTIL there is a change, flag there is a change, and then stop checking.. then when the focus comes back get all the latest info then?
Or is that what it does?

- Colin.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

syntevo Support
> I found that it tends to pick up the update quite well (unless SmartGit is
> doing a background fetch/ls-remote at the time).

Then local changes are not correctly picked up? I got the same impression a few times, but never could reproduce that.

> Would it not be possible to have SmartGit monitor the file system UNTIL
> there is a change, flag there is a change, and then stop checking.. then
> when the focus comes back get all the latest info then?
> Or is that what it does?

This is more or less what it does (just it will continue checking to collect all affected directories). But depending on how you use SmartGit and how your desktop is set up (dual monitor setup?) you sometimes will not switch back to SmartGit, but just look at it while it remains in background. In such cases you will not see any changes picked up, what may be unexpected.

04/23/2014 14:10 - WORMSS wrote:

> I found that it tends to pick up the update quite well (unless SmartGit is
> doing a background fetch/ls-remote at the time).
>
> Would it not be possible to have SmartGit monitor the file system UNTIL
> there is a change, flag there is a change, and then stop checking.. then
> when the focus comes back get all the latest info then?
> Or is that what it does?
>
> - Colin.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

WORMSS
That is a very good point. I do have a dual monitor, but my IDE and SmartGit is on the same screen so not really thought about that.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

Sébastien Rombauts
Hi,

1) Here we all have dual-monitors, and I personally (but I am not alone)
mostly have Eclipse CDT in one screen, and SmartGit in the second one (but
sometimes a VM above, or a web browser...).
=> I've already had to explain to my coworkers that they need to click onto
SmartGit to get it refresh, but that kind of defeat the purpose of
auto-refresh.

2) The problem is most of the time I switch to SmartGit when I launch a
build (because it takes from a few seconds to a few minutes) : and *then*,
SmartGit does not get enough CPU (or IO) to update... Sometime I had to
interrupt and relaunch the build to be able to see changed files, to grab
some of them (Stage or direct Commit), just to be able to prepare my commit
while the build is in progress
=> that is really annoying
One of my colleague already made once an incomplete commit because of that,
and then we had a hard time explaining it; at this time it seems to us more
like a bug into the JDK or SmartGit
=> that can harm you ("SmartGit not reliable" or "Java is crap, so SmartGit
is doomed." will say people)

So yes, I would propose some background refresh, at least optional, or
perhaps with some thresholds:
a) retain background refresh until cpu is down under 10% for a certain time,
b) and/or only do background refresh once every 5 minutes

3) I think I have a similar problem with the list of "Favorite"
repositories not refreshing in SmartGit 6 preview 7

Best Regards,
SRombauts

> That is a very good point. I do have a dual monitor, but my IDE and
> SmartGit
> is on the same screen so not really thought about that.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

befros
My 2 cents:

I work with a multi-monitor setup and quite often have smartgit running
on a different system (via synergy) and it never gets focus unless I
actually need to do actions in smartgit.  I'd welcome the ability to
leave filesystem monitoring active at all times and not just when in focus.

On 04/23/14 05:31, syntevo Support wrote:

> > I found that it tends to pick up the update quite well (unless
> SmartGit is
> > doing a background fetch/ls-remote at the time).
>
> Then local changes are not correctly picked up? I got the same
> impression a few times, but never could reproduce that.
>
> > Would it not be possible to have SmartGit monitor the file system UNTIL
> > there is a change, flag there is a change, and then stop checking.. then
> > when the focus comes back get all the latest info then?
> > Or is that what it does?
>
> This is more or less what it does (just it will continue checking to
> collect all affected directories). But depending on how you use
> SmartGit and how your desktop is set up (dual monitor setup?) you
> sometimes will not switch back to SmartGit, but just look at it while
> it remains in background. In such cases you will not see any changes
> picked up, what may be unexpected.

> Marc Strapetz
>
> 04/23/2014 14:10 - WORMSS wrote:
>
> > I found that it tends to pick up the update quite well (unless
> SmartGit is
> > doing a background fetch/ls-remote at the time).
> >
> > Would it not be possible to have SmartGit monitor the file system UNTIL
> > there is a change, flag there is a change, and then stop checking.. then
> > when the focus comes back get all the latest info then?
> > Or is that what it does?
> >
> > - Colin.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

doublem2
I'm a poor single-monitor slob  so SmartGit always gets brought to the front when I need it. That works well enough for me, but having an option for it to be "ready to go" when brought forward sounds good. I like keeping it optional though.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

Guy Rouillier-2
On 4/23/2014 8:31 AM, syntevo Support wrote:
> This is more or less what it does (just it will continue checking to
> collect all affected directories). But depending on how you use SmartGit
> and how your desktop is set up (dual monitor setup?) you sometimes will
> not switch back to SmartGit, but just look at it while it remains in
> background. In such cases you will not see any changes picked up, what
> may be unexpected.

I have dual monitors, so have enough real estate to leave SmartGit open.
  I have on occasion found it confusing that SmartGit doesn't show
changes until I activate the window (by clicking on it.)  But now that I
understand how it works, it's not a big deal.

Java has the ability to set thread priority.  So, just assign the file
monitor thread a low priority and allow it to run continuously.  That
will automatically minimize SmartGit's resource consumption when the
system is busy doing something like a build.

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

So far, thanks for your feedback! We will introduce an option for one of
the next version 6 preview builds.

On 23.04.2014 14:02, syntevo Support wrote:

>>From time to time we are getting complaints that SmartGit's refreshing
> of external changes does not work properly: usually it turns out that
> file monitoring actually works but SmartGit simply is/was in background
> (i.e. none of its frames had been activated) and hence it did not
> refresh changes from the file system.
>
> We have implemented refreshing this way to avoid that SmartGit consumes
> too much resources while in background and, contrary to an IDE, SmartGit
> tends to be in background most of the time.
>
> Did you encounter similar problems, too? Or are you happy with the
> current behavior?
>
> Should we introduce an option to always refresh in case of file system
> changes, no matter whether SmartGit is in background or not? Most
> likely, SmartGit will consume (significantly) more resources in this
> case. The benefit will be to almost always have an up-to-date view when
> switching back to SmartGit.
>
> Any comments and ideas are appreciated.

> Marc Strapetz
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

I've now uploaded a new build (Help|Check for Latest Build) which
enables refreshing while SmartGit is in background.

There are currently three system properties to tune the behavior:

smartgit.fileMonitor.calmDownDelayMillis ... the time in milliseconds to
wait after the last file system event has been received before the
refreshing is triggered. Default: 3000

smartgit.fileMonitor.maxDelayMillis ... the maximum time to wait in
milliseconds. Default: 60000

smartgit.fileMonitor.maxSystemLoadLimitPercent ... the maximum system
load in percent beyond which no refreshing will be done. Default: 10

To see what happens in detail, you may add following line to
log4j.properties (don't forget to restart):

log4j.category.sc.file.changewatcher=DEBUG

How does it work for you? Do you find the defaults reasonable?

On 23.04.2014 14:02, syntevo Support wrote:

>>From time to time we are getting complaints that SmartGit's refreshing
> of external changes does not work properly: usually it turns out that
> file monitoring actually works but SmartGit simply is/was in background
> (i.e. none of its frames had been activated) and hence it did not
> refresh changes from the file system.
>
> We have implemented refreshing this way to avoid that SmartGit consumes
> too much resources while in background and, contrary to an IDE, SmartGit
> tends to be in background most of the time.
>
> Did you encounter similar problems, too? Or are you happy with the
> current behavior?
>
> Should we introduce an option to always refresh in case of file system
> changes, no matter whether SmartGit is in background or not? Most
> likely, SmartGit will consume (significantly) more resources in this
> case. The benefit will be to almost always have an up-to-date view when
> switching back to SmartGit.
>
> Any comments and ideas are appreciated.

> Marc Strapetz
>

> ------------------------------------
>
> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

ianxxx
Hi,
I'm usign SmartGit 6.0.5 (build #3137) in a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu 14.04 and even if SmartGit is in foreground it doesn't refresh, I must manually refresh to see files changes.

What could I check to solve this?
Thanks!
ian

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

SmartGit mailing list
You should use java 1.7 and have your kernel compiled with inotify support turned on.

I'm usign SmartGit 6.0.5 (build #3137) in a VirtualBox VM with Ubuntu 14.04
and even if SmartGit is in foreground it doesn't refresh, I must manually
refresh to see files changes.

What could I check to solve this?
Thanks!
ian

------------------------------------

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

Thank you but I'm already using java 1.7.0_51-b13 and kernel 3.13.0-32-generic that supports inotify.
So I guess the problem is somewhere else.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

SmartGit mailing list
Some filesystems do not support inotify.   Is your git repository on an network filesystem ?  If so, try moving it to a local filesystem.

Re: RFC: should SmartGit refresh when in background?

ianxxx
This post was updated on .
Thanks. Git repository is on local filesystem.
Btw, I solved the problem for now simply restarting the VM.