Repositories within a repository

jprateragg
We have a custom-build framework for one of our applications. The directory structure is something like this:

*app
***app1
***app2
***app3
*core
*css
*images
*js
*logs
README.md
otherfiles.txt

We only have a single repository right now, but we want to make each app in the app folder have its own repository. We were planning on simply creating a whole new repository and starting fresh. What would be the best way to do this because we want to have a repository for the framework, and separate repositories for each app in the app folder. I figured I would make a repository the framework and simply ignore the app folder. Then I would create repositories for each app. Would this be the right way to go about this? Would SmartGit manage this effectively/efficiently? Thanks!

Re: Repositories within a repository

SmartGit mailing list
> We only have a single repository right now, but we want to make each app in
> the app folder have its own repository. We were planning on simply creating
> a whole new repository and starting fresh. What would be the best way to do
> this because we want to have a repository for the framework, and separate
> repositories for each app in the app folder. I figured I would make a
> repository the framework and simply ignore the app folder.

Repositories in ignored directories are not so good to manage with SmartGit. Why don't you use submodules instead? They will give you versioned links between your main repository and your apps which might be important to properly tag the entire state.

Or, if the apps are entirely unrelated to your main repository (but I guess that's not the case?), move these working trees to the top-level?

Rep 1:
*core
*css
*images
*js
*logs
README.md
otherfiles.txt

Rep 2 (app1)

Rep 3 (app2)

12/05/2014 16:00 - jprateragg [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> We have a custom-build framework for one of our applications. The directory
> structure is something like this:
>
> *app
> ***app1
> ***app2
> ***app3
> *core
> *css
> *images
> *js
> *logs
> README.md
> otherfiles.txt
>
> We only have a single repository right now, but we want to make each app in
> the app folder have its own repository. We were planning on simply creating
> a whole new repository and starting fresh. What would be the best way to do
> this because we want to have a repository for the framework, and separate
> repositories for each app in the app folder. I figured I would make a
> repository the framework and simply ignore the app folder. Then I would
> create repositories for each app. Would this be the right way to go about
> this? Would SmartGit manage this effectively/efficiently? Thanks!

Re: Repositories within a repository

SmartGit mailing list
On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:19 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
[smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Repositories in ignored directories are not so good to manage with
> SmartGit. Why don't you use submodules instead? They will give you
> versioned links between your main repository and your apps which might be
> important to properly tag the entire state.

Not knowing what is going on exactly, it sounds like the links would be the
wrong way. an app would depend on a specific version of the framework, not
the other way around...

Re: Repositories within a repository

jprateragg
You're right--each app is dependent on a specific version of our framework. When we update our framework, we immediately reflect those changes in the apps. We really want to be able separately track commits made to the framework and each app--we didn't want to have them jumbled in one repository. So submodules is still the best way to approach this then?

Re: Repositories within a repository

SmartGit mailing list
> You're right--each app is dependent on a specific version of our framework.
> When we update our framework, we immediately reflect those changes in the
> apps. We really want to be able separately track commits made to the
> framework and each app--we didn't want to have them jumbled in one
> repository. So submodules is still the best way to approach this then?

Yes, but in this case the other way round: each of your app repository would have a submodule pointing to the shared framework.