Quantcast

Save settings to disk when they are changed, not at exit

Save settings to disk when they are changed, not at exit

SmartGit mailing list
SmartGit has a number of settings that are saved to disk only when you exit
the app. As a result, if you force-quit SmartGit, your setting changes are
lost.

For example, I'm chasing down a bug in my OSX app that results in a White
Screen of Death: the entire screen goes white and no further interaction is
possible, although the OS and apps continue running. I can ssh in from
another machine and do a 'sudo reboot', so at least I get a clean shutdown
as far as the filesystem is concerned, but it force-quits all apps.

While working on this I'm frequently checking and unchecking various test
branches in the log window. But when SmartGit restarts after the reboot,
those checkbox settings revert to the state they were in when SmartGit was
previously *started*.

I seem to recall running into the same thing with some (or all?) of the
settings in the main preferences dialog. I'd change some settings, click
OK, and then later if I had to force-reboot it would lose all my changes.

It would be much better if all settings were saved immediately. For the
preferences dialog, this would be when you click OK. For real-time settings
like the log checkboxes, it would be at the moment you click the checkbox.
Then restarting after a force-quit would put SmartGit back in the state you
expect.

Thanks!

-Mike

Re: Save settings to disk when they are changed, not at exit

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Michael,

Basically I understand your request, but it is not easy to implement (our settings framework was not designed to provide read-only snapshots that might be saved while other threads may continue changing the settings).

04/09/2015 20:30 - Michael Geary [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> SmartGit has a number of settings that are saved to disk only when you exit
> the app. As a result, if you force-quit SmartGit, your setting changes are
> lost.
>
> For example, I'm chasing down a bug in my OSX app that results in a White
> Screen of Death: the entire screen goes white and no further interaction is
> possible, although the OS and apps continue running. I can ssh in from
> another machine and do a 'sudo reboot', so at least I get a clean shutdown
> as far as the filesystem is concerned, but it force-quits all apps.
>
> While working on this I'm frequently checking and unchecking various test
> branches in the log window. But when SmartGit restarts after the reboot,
> those checkbox settings revert to the state they were in when SmartGit was
> previously *started*.
>
> I seem to recall running into the same thing with some (or all?) of the
> settings in the main preferences dialog. I'd change some settings, click
> OK, and then later if I had to force-reboot it would lose all my changes.
>
> It would be much better if all settings were saved immediately. For the
> preferences dialog, this would be when you click OK. For real-time settings
> like the log checkboxes, it would be at the moment you click the checkbox.
> Then restarting after a force-quit would put SmartGit back in the state you
> expect.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Mike

Re: Save settings to disk when they are changed, not at exit

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for looking into that. Interesting that multiple threads may update
the settings - I would have thought it would just be the UI thread doing
that and any other threads could safely use the current state. But then I
don't know anything about SmartGit's internal architecture! :-)

It isn't a big problem in any case - SmartGit never crashes on me on its
own, it's only these cases where I'm tracking down a system lockup crash
elsewhere that it matters. And for those cases I've learned to quit
SmartGit before testing so all the settings are saved.

-Mike