SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

fmazerolle
Hi guys,

Since I've start tried SmartGit 3 EA5, I always have a core at 100% ( well, to be exact, all my 4 core display a permanent load between 20 and 30%, and the smartgit process alway use 100% of the CPU. SmartGit seems to use 31 treads, and 78mb of RAM with no project loaded **).
I'm using the MAC OSX version, with a core i5.

This problem appear all the time, event when I have no open project/working tree**.

The application is still responsive, it doesn't look crashed or frozen at all.

**  In the OSX version, you can close all the smartgit window without closing the application

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

syntevo Support
> Since I've start tried SmartGit 3 EA5, I always have a core at 100% ( well, to
> be exact, all my 4 core display a permanent load between 20 and 30%, and the
> smartgit process alway use 100% of the CPU. SmartGit seems to use 31 treads,
> and 78mb of RAM with no project loaded **).
> I'm using the MAC OSX version, with a core i5.

Please make a series of thread-dumps and send us the resulting logs. The procedure is identical to SmartSVN:

http://www.syntevo.com/smartsvn/techarticles.html?page=debugging.threaddump

Thanks in advance!

12/20/2011 20:40 - fmazerolle_it wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Since I've start tried SmartGit 3 EA5, I always have a core at 100% ( well, to be
> exact, all my 4 core display a permanent load between 20 and 30%, and the smartgit
> process alway use 100% of the CPU. SmartGit seems to use 31 treads, and 78mb of
> RAM with no project loaded **).
> I'm using the MAC OSX version, with a core i5.
>
> This problem appear all the time, event when I have no open project/working
> tree**.
>
> The application is still responsive, it doesn't look crashed or frozen at all.
>
> **  In the OSX version, you can close all the smartgit window without closing the
> application

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

fmazerolle
Hi Marc,

Here's the dumps you asked for:

https://gist.github.com/1503107

I generated them having 1 open project, but I did nothing at all while generating the 5 dumps ( not even giving the smartgit the focus )

If you need anymore information, I'll be glad to do what I can.

BTW: The new "puzzle-like" icon in the log window for the origin/local branch are really cool. I think this will help alot the people to understand that they're not sync with the remote.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

mikemanyoung
I am seeing this issue also. When I have no projects open, I am near 70-80% cpu on SmartGit. When I have 3 repos open at the same time, the cpu jumps to 300%, just by having them open.

--- In [hidden email], "fmazerolle_it" <fmazerolle@...> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Here's the dumps you asked for:
>
> https://gist.github.com/1503107
>
> I generated them having 1 open project, but I did nothing at all while generating the 5 dumps ( not even giving the smartgit the focus )
>
> If you need anymore information, I'll be glad to do what I can.
>

> BTW: The new "puzzle-like" icon in the log window for the origin/local branch are really cool. I think this will help alot the people to understand that they're not sync with the remote.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

mikemanyoung
Here's my dump:

https://gist.github.com/1507378

--- In [hidden email], "fmazerolle_it" <fmazerolle@...> wrote:

> Hi Marc,
>
> Here's the dumps you asked for:
>
> https://gist.github.com/1503107
>
> I generated them having 1 open project, but I did nothing at all while generating the 5 dumps ( not even giving the smartgit the focus )
>
> If you need anymore information, I'll be glad to do what I can.
>

> BTW: The new "puzzle-like" icon in the log window for the origin/local branch are really cool. I think this will help alot the people to understand that they're not sync with the remote.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

fmazerolle
Hi Mike,

Good (but sad) to see that I'm not alone having this trouble.
For your dump, I think they'll need more than 1 dump. Repeat the process a couple of time so that you might capture something else than WAITING events.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

Andrew Herron
I noticed this at some point yesterday. If I see it again I'll do some thread dumps.

On Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 6:15 AM, fmazerolle_it wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Good (but sad) to see that I'm not alone having this trouble.
> For your dump, I think they'll need more than 1 dump. Repeat the process a couple of time so that you might capture something else than WAITING events.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

mikemanyoung
I tried generating the dump several times, but it always has the same threads waiting / idle. At the same time the cpu is always pegged at 70-80%.

I've noticed that as of the last 2-3 EAP versions performance has gotten a lot slower overall. Refreshes are taking a long time as well as bring up logs, committing, etc.

When I do a refresh, it easily brings the CPU to 300% during the scan. I'm not sure if this is expected or not, but it starts to get my macbook pro quite hot and the fan spins up pretty high.

I'm running one of the later 2.66 Ghz i7's with 8gb.

--- In [hidden email], "fmazerolle_it" <fmazerolle@...> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Good (but sad) to see that I'm not alone having this trouble.
> For your dump, I think they'll need more than 1 dump. Repeat the process a couple of time so that you might capture something else than WAITING events.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

Thanks for the various reports. There had been a busy-waiting loop in the OSX file monitor (after refactorings in EA5) which should be fixed for the latest build -- would you please confirm? :

http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/intermediate-eap-builds.html

12/21/2011 22:20 - Andrew Herron wrote:

> I noticed this at some point yesterday. If I see it again I'll do some thread
> dumps.
>
> On Thursday, 22 December 2011 at 6:15 AM, fmazerolle_it wrote:
>

> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Good (but sad) to see that I'm not alone having this trouble.
> > For your dump, I think they'll need more than 1 dump. Repeat the process a couple of time so that you might capture something else than WAITING events.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

> I've noticed that as of the last 2-3 EAP versions performance has gotten a lot
> slower overall. Refreshes are taking a long time as well as bring up logs,
> committing, etc.
>
> When I do a refresh, it easily brings the CPU to 300% during the scan. I'm not
> sure if this is expected or not, but it starts to get my macbook pro quite hot
> and the fan spins up pretty high.

This might be related to the File Monitor problem which is present since 3EA5. If performance is significantly worse with the latest build as well, please create a couple of thread dumps (the one you posted wasn't complete and didn't look suspicious):

12/21/2011 22:50 - mikemanyoung wrote:

> I tried generating the dump several times, but it always has the same threads
> waiting / idle. At the same time the cpu is always pegged at 70-80%.
>
> I've noticed that as of the last 2-3 EAP versions performance has gotten a lot
> slower overall. Refreshes are taking a long time as well as bring up logs,
> committing, etc.
>
> When I do a refresh, it easily brings the CPU to 300% during the scan. I'm not
> sure if this is expected or not, but it starts to get my macbook pro quite hot and
> the fan spins up pretty high.
>
> I'm running one of the later 2.66 Ghz i7's with 8gb.
>
> --- In [hidden email], "fmazerolle_it" <fmazerolle@...> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Good (but sad) to see that I'm not alone having this trouble.
> > For your dump, I think they'll need more than 1 dump. Repeat the process a couple of time so that you might capture something else than WAITING events.

Re: SmartGit 3 EA5 under OSX- permanent 100% CPU, 31+ threads.

fmazerolle

Hi Mark,

So far so good, the early build seem to fix the CPU problem for me :)

Good job !