SmartGit 4 preview 5 - all branches

Ben Vesco
The checkboxes for selecting branches in the log window are great. The
problem now is I can't find the setting to default to showing "all
branches" in this view so I have to keep clicking all the checkboxes every
time I switch to a new project (I regularly switch between 5-10 projects
each day). It's also tedious to have to click all the checkboxes when what
I really want is "all" behavior. There are benefits to having "all" as well
as checkbox approach, do they have to be mutually exclusive?

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Thomas Singer (syntevo) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> A new preview release is available at
>
> http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:

    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

Re: SmartGit 4 preview 5 - all branches

syntevo Support
> The checkboxes for selecting branches in the log window are great. The
> problem now is I can't find the setting to default to showing "all
> branches" in this view so I have to keep clicking all the checkboxes every
> time I switch to a new project (I regularly switch between 5-10 projects
> each day).

We have replaced that option by the option to select all local branches instead, which should be sufficient in most cases. The disadvantage of "All Branches" was that depending on the number of remote branches it could have resulted in weak performance.

> It's also tedious to have to click all the checkboxes when what
> I really want is "all" behavior. There are benefits to having "all" as well
> as checkbox approach, do they have to be mutually exclusive?

You just need to check "Local Branches" and your remote(s) (if really needed).

11/12/2012 19:30 - Ben Vesco wrote:

> The checkboxes for selecting branches in the log window are great. The
> problem now is I can't find the setting to default to showing "all
> branches" in this view so I have to keep clicking all the checkboxes every
> time I switch to a new project (I regularly switch between 5-10 projects
> each day). It's also tedious to have to click all the checkboxes when what
> I really want is "all" behavior. There are benefits to having "all" as well
> as checkbox approach, do they have to be mutually exclusive?
>

> On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 5:52 AM, Thomas Singer (syntevo) <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > **
> >

> > A new preview release is available at
> >
> > http://www.syntevo.com/smartgit/early-access.html

> > Thomas Singer

Re: SmartGit 4 preview 5 - all branches

Diederick C. Niehorster
Dear Syntevo,
On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM, syntevo Support <[hidden email]>wrote:

> > It's also tedious to have to click all the checkboxes when what
> > I really want is "all" behavior. There are benefits to having "all" as
> well
> > as checkbox approach, do they have to be mutually exclusive?
>
> You just need to check "Local Branches" and your remote(s) (if really
> needed).

I read something very different here, which is something i have commented
on as well on this list.

The current setup of being able to select either all witht he right click
menu or having to select boxes/branches independently can be annoying to
use. A common workflow would be to select all and then unselect one or two
branches that you do not want to see. That is currently not possible. So I
echo what Ben asked, why make select all and individual selections mutually
exclusive actions?

And also, why hide all in a rightclick menu? Ideal would be if an interface
similar to what we are used from many other projects can be used here: put
a checkbox in front of all branches, a click on which simply checks/selects
all the branches below it, after which we can unselect branches again that
we dont want. The check should only remain when all subordinate branches
are selected, and removing the all check should unselect all subordinate
branches.

I think this would be more intuitive and flexible and allow for greater
productivity.

Best,
Dee

Re: SmartGit 4 preview 5 - all branches

syntevo Support
> The current setup of being able to select either all witht he right click
> menu or having to select boxes/branches independently can be annoying to
> use. A common workflow would be to select all and then unselect one or two
> branches that you do not want to see. That is currently not possible.

You haven't tried SmartGit 4 preview 5. There it should work.

On 2012-11-13 2:46, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:

> Dear Syntevo,
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 2:38 AM, syntevo Support <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>>> It's also tedious to have to click all the checkboxes when what
>>> I really want is "all" behavior. There are benefits to having "all" as
>> well
>>> as checkbox approach, do they have to be mutually exclusive?
>>
>> You just need to check "Local Branches" and your remote(s) (if really
>> needed).
>>

> I read something very different here, which is something i have commented
> on as well on this list.
>
> The current setup of being able to select either all witht he right click
> menu or having to select boxes/branches independently can be annoying to
> use. A common workflow would be to select all and then unselect one or two
> branches that you do not want to see. That is currently not possible. So I
> echo what Ben asked, why make select all and individual selections mutually
> exclusive actions?
>
> And also, why hide all in a rightclick menu? Ideal would be if an interface
> similar to what we are used from many other projects can be used here: put
> a checkbox in front of all branches, a click on which simply checks/selects
> all the branches below it, after which we can unselect branches again that
> we dont want. The check should only remain when all subordinate branches
> are selected, and removing the all check should unselect all subordinate
> branches.
>
> I think this would be more intuitive and flexible and allow for greater
> productivity.
>
> Best,
> Dee

Re: SmartGit 4 preview 5 - all branches

Diederick C. Niehorster
Hi Thomas,

Yes indeed, it works nicely there!

Best,
Dee

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Thomas Singer (syntevo) <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> **
>

> > The current setup of being able to select either all witht he right click
> > menu or having to select boxes/branches independently can be annoying to
> > use. A common workflow would be to select all and then unselect one or
> two
> > branches that you do not want to see. That is currently not possible.
>
> You haven't tried SmartGit 4 preview 5. There it should work.

> On 2012-11-13 2:46, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:
> > Dear Syntevo,

> >> well
> >>
> >> You just need to check "Local Branches" and your remote(s) (if really
> >> needed).
> >>

> > I read something very different here, which is something i have commented
> > on as well on this list.
> >
> > The current setup of being able to select either all witht he right click
> > menu or having to select boxes/branches independently can be annoying to
> > use. A common workflow would be to select all and then unselect one or
> two
> > branches that you do not want to see. That is currently not possible. So
> > echo what Ben asked, why make select all and individual selections
> mutually
> > exclusive actions?
> >
> > And also, why hide all in a rightclick menu? Ideal would be if an
> interface
> > similar to what we are used from many other projects can be used here:
> put
> > a checkbox in front of all branches, a click on which simply
> checks/selects
> > all the branches below it, after which we can unselect branches again
> that
> > we dont want. The check should only remain when all subordinate branches
> > are selected, and removing the all check should unselect all subordinate
> > branches.
> >
> > I think this would be more intuitive and flexible and allow for greater
> > productivity.
> >
> > Best,
> > Dee

Re: SmartGit 4 preview 5 - all branches

Ben Vesco
It doesn't work that way in preview 5. There is no "all" option anywhere
that I can find anymore. You stated previously it was removed on purpose
for performance reasons. This doesn't make sense. I have dozens of projects
in my smartgit workspace. Only one of them is "too big" to be performant
with "all" in the log view. Instead of the convenience of being able to hit
"all" on dozens of projects and learning to not hit "all" on one project, I
have the burden of clicking three checkboxes on dozens of projects and
trimming down my selection on one project. You're penalizing the masses for
the benefit of the more uncommon very large projects. "All" is my default
log viewing preference. I have been using SmartGit since version 1.x and
there has only ever been the one project that was not performant in the log
view with "all" selected.