Smartgit (32-bit) side by side with Android Studio (64-bit)

Smartgit (32-bit) side by side with Android Studio (64-bit)

SmartGit mailing list
Hello,

 For several years, I have been using Smartgit with my system-installed Java (first 1.7, now 1.8) 32-bit on Windows 7 and 8.

 However, I have now switched from doing Android development using the old Eclipse tools to the new Android Studio.  Android Studio requires the "JAVA_HOME" environment variable to point to a 64-bit JDK.  When I point that variable to my 64-bit JDK, Smartgit won't start because it specifically requires the 32-bit JRE.

 Short of reinstalling Smartgit's bundled version (which I really would prefer not to have to do), is there some way to get these two to work next to each other?

 Thanks.

Re: Smartgit (32-bit) side by side with Android Studio (64-bit)

SmartGit mailing list
I reckon you are using Windows. What SmartGit executable did you launch?

> Hello,
>

>  For several years, I have been using Smartgit with my system-installed Java
> (first 1.7, now 1.8) 32-bit on Windows 7 and 8.
>

>  However, I have now switched from doing Android development using the old Eclipse
> tools to the new Android Studio.  Android Studio requires the "JAVA_HOME"
> environment variable to point to a 64-bit JDK.  When I point that variable to my
> 64-bit JDK, Smartgit won't start because it specifically requires the 32-bit JRE.
>

>  Short of reinstalling Smartgit's bundled version (which I really would prefer not
> to have to do), is there some way to get these two to work next to each other?
>

>  Thanks.

Re: Smartgit (32-bit) side by side with Android Studio (64-bit)

SmartGit mailing list
Thomas,

I did say it was Windows, though it may not have been totally clear.

I am launching the executable that has a shortcut in the Start menu, which
is "smartgit.exe".

Based on your question, I looked and saw that there is another executable
named "smartgit64.exe" which works with a 64-bit JRE.  *However, *I still
can't tell whether it is safe to change the existing Start menu shortcut to
point to there or whether the installer for future program updates will
reset it back to the 32-bit one.  I have no problem changing the shortcut,
but I don't want to have to do it again every time that Smartgit updates.

Moshe

--
Moshe Katz
-- [hidden email]

On Fri, Jan 16, 2015 at 3:24 AM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
[smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I reckon you are using Windows. What SmartGit executable did you launch?

> 01/16/2015 00:00 - [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >

> >  For several years, I have been using Smartgit with my system-installed
> Java
> > (first 1.7, now 1.8) 32-bit on Windows 7 and 8.
> >

> >  However, I have now switched from doing Android development using the
> old Eclipse
> > tools to the new Android Studio.  Android Studio requires the "JAVA_HOME"
> > environment variable to point to a 64-bit JDK.  When I point that
> variable to my
> > 64-bit JDK, Smartgit won't start because it specifically requires the
> 32-bit JRE.
> >

> >  Short of reinstalling Smartgit's bundled version (which I really would
> prefer not
> > to have to do), is there some way to get these two to work next to each
> other?
> >

> >  Thanks.
> >

> ------------------------------------
> Posted by: syntevo Support <[hidden email]>

> Yahoo Groups Links

Re: Smartgit (32-bit) side by side with Android Studio (64-bit)

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Moshe,

> I did say it was Windows, though it may not have been totally clear.

Sorry, my failure. The simplest solution for you is to install the default Windows download bundle with JRE. It should not care about a set JAVA_HOME but instead use its bundled JRE.

Alternatively, you could use the smartgit64.exe using your own desktop icon.