Submodule is foreign ... ok, so now what ?

Submodule is foreign ... ok, so now what ?

fmazerolle
Sometime, I've submodule repository that become foreign.
Most of the time it happen when I delete the whole submodule folder, and restaure it afterward. (To generate patch file that exclude those folder)

Anyway, the point is: now that I've a submodule that appear to be foreign, what are we supposed to do -- using only the SmartGit GUI ?

I can't checkout, I can't edit the remotes, I can't initialize, like 90% of the options are disabled/grayed out.

As far as I know, the submodule folder contain all the files ( including the .git ), but it does not appear in the .gitmodule file of the main repository.

Re: Submodule is foreign ... ok, so now what ?

fmazerolle
Just to add that to solve the issue, I have to :

Delete the folder from the disk and re-add the submodule

- or -

Manually add the module in the .gitmodule, then click on the submodule, and go in Remote -> Submodules -> Add ... menu ( add is the only option available anyway ), and in the drop list, I'll have the remote of my submodule that I can select.

Re: Submodule is foreign ... ok, so now what ?

> Anyway, the point is: now that I've a submodule that appear to be foreign, what
> are we supposed to do -- using only the SmartGit GUI ?
>
> I can't checkout, I can't edit the remotes, I can't initialize, like 90% of the
> options are disabled/grayed out.

2.1.7 offers to stage the submodule (again), which includes registration in .gitmodules and in the repository itself. This is broken in version 3 EA and will be fixed for the next build.

02/01/2012 15:50 - fmazerolle_it wrote:

> Sometime, I've submodule repository that become foreign.
> Most of the time it happen when I delete the whole submodule folder, and restaure
> it afterward. (To generate patch file that exclude those folder)
>
> Anyway, the point is: now that I've a submodule that appear to be foreign, what
> are we supposed to do -- using only the SmartGit GUI ?
>
> I can't checkout, I can't edit the remotes, I can't initialize, like 90% of the
> options are disabled/grayed out.
>
> As far as I know, the submodule folder contain all the files ( including the .git
> ), but it does not appear in the .gitmodule file of the main repository.

Re: Submodule is foreign ... ok, so now what ?

fmazerolle
Nice ! Thanks :)