Sync twice

fmazerolle
Hi,

If I have unpushed commit locally, and unfetched commit on the server, and use the sync button, it seems like it first try to push, then it try to pull.

So the push will fail, as I've not pulled all refs, then it pull.
And I have to re-hit sync to be able to push and really be sync.

I'm not 100% sure of my explanation, but I often have to hit sync twice, or do Pull, then push one after the other.

Re: Sync twice

syntevo Support
This is expected behaviour: see the tooltip text.

01/25/2012 14:10 - fmazerolle_it wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If I have unpushed commit locally, and unfetched commit on the server, and use the
> sync button, it seems like it first try to push, then it try to pull.
>
> So the push will fail, as I've not pulled all refs, then it pull.
> And I have to re-hit sync to be able to push and really be sync.
>
> I'm not 100% sure of my explanation, but I often have to hit sync twice, or do
> Pull, then push one after the other.

Re: Sync twice

Norbert Nemec
Indeed, the tooltip indicates: first push, then pull

But: what is the thought behind this? I would expect it the other way
around: pull, auto-merge and, if not conflicts need to be resolved, push.

The current order is more confusing than useful.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

syntevo Support
The reason is to not push unchecked content which would happen when first fetching, merging/rebasing and pushing. Just treat it as convenient Push which also fetches remote changes, e.g. from other branches.

01/25/2012 15:20 - Norbert Nemec wrote:

> Indeed, the tooltip indicates: first push, then pull
>
> But: what is the thought behind this? I would expect it the other way
> around: pull, auto-merge and, if not conflicts need to be resolved, push.
>
> The current order is more confusing than useful.
>

> Am 25.01.12 14:45, schrieb syntevo Support:
> > This is expected behaviour: see the tooltip text.

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >
> > 01/25/2012 14:10 - fmazerolle_it wrote:
> >
> >  > Hi,
> >  >
> >  > If I have unpushed commit locally, and unfetched commit on the
> > server, and use the
> >  > sync button, it seems like it first try to push, then it try to pull.
> >  >
> >  > So the push will fail, as I've not pulled all refs, then it pull.
> >  > And I have to re-hit sync to be able to push and really be sync.
> >  >
> >  > I'm not 100% sure of my explanation, but I often have to hit sync
> > twice, or do
> >  > Pull, then push one after the other.
> >  >
> >  >
> >

> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> [hidden email]
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

Norbert Nemec
Confirming my statement: more confusing than useful.

The typical workflow in git is:
        1. pull changes
        2. resolve conflicts locally
        3. push changes

Looking at the "sync" button, my first intuition is "Of course, this
represents the typical first-pull-then-push entity."

I agree that it makes sense to avoid automatic pushing after a merge.

Still I would suggest removing the sync button completely. First, it
looks practical, then it is confusing and when you finally understand
the logic, you realize that it is far less useful than you would think.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

syntevo Support
> Still I would suggest removing the sync button completely.

You are free to do that yourself using Edit|Customize.

01/25/2012 16:40 - Norbert Nemec wrote:

> [...]
> >  > Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> >  > Registernummer: HRB 72458
> >  > UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
> >  >
> >  > Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic
> >  >
> >

> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> [hidden email]
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

I'm more concerned about the git-newbies in our company. We are just
beginning to migrate from SVN to GIT, and I am involved in helping about
50 developers doing their first steps in the new world.

In general, SmartGIT is a tremendous help, because it visualizes the
philosophy of GIT in a very clear way. It's just those tiny details
where I realize that I need more explaining than necessary.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

waltw87-2
I actually came here today just to say this.  Glad to see there was already a thread about it :)

Really, sync should pull, automatically merge if possible first, then push.  It really doesn't make sense currently, and pushing it twice is pretty annoying.

Thanks,
Walt

--- In [hidden email], Norbert Nemec <norbert.nemec@...> wrote:

> [...]
> >  >
> >  > Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic
> >  >
> >

> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> norbert.nemec@...
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

fmazerolle

> I'm more concerned about the git-newbies in our company.

Just do like I did:
"Don't use the Sync button, it's broken".
And they learn to pull, resolve/commit, push.

And after they understand the concept, I explained them:
"Well, I told it was broken, but it is not really. It just useless as it try to push before pulling..."

So yeah, on my side, I've also experienced "newbies" ( I don't really like the word... ) that was confuse with the SYNC button. And as soon as you understand it, you completely stop using it.

Re: Sync twice

Sorry, I vote against pushing auto-merged/rebased content silently.

01/27/2012 00:30 - waltw87 wrote:

> [...]
> > >  > Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> > >  > Registernummer: HRB 72458
> > >  > UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
> > >  >
> > >  > Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic
> > >  >
> > >

> > --
> > Dr. Norbert Nemec
> > Teamleader Software Development
> >
> > Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> > norbert.nemec@...
> >
> > KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> > =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
> >
> > TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> > =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
> >
> > ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
> >
> > Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> > Registernummer: HRB 72458
> > UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
> >
> > Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Maybe we should get rid of Sync and add an option to pull after pushing?

01/27/2012 14:20 - fmazerolle_it wrote:

> > I'm more concerned about the git-newbies in our company.
>
> Just do like I did:
> "Don't use the Sync button, it's broken".
> And they learn to pull, resolve/commit, push.
>
> And after they understand the concept, I explained them:
> "Well, I told it was broken, but it is not really. It just useless as it try to
> push before pulling..."
>
> So yeah, on my side, I've also experienced "newbies" ( I don't really like the
> word... ) that was confuse with the SYNC button. And as soon as you understand it,
> you completely stop using it.

Re: Sync twice

Norbert Nemec
This is definitely clearer for the user.

I still don't think the option is very useful, but at least it is not
confusing.

--
Dr. Norbert Nemec
Teamleader Software Development

Tel +49-30-611035-1882
[hidden email]

KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8

TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
=>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2

->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
Registernummer: HRB 72458
UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747

Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

syntevo Support
> I still don't think the option is very useful

Well, at least if the Push fails, the user needs to fetch (and merge/rebase) the remote changes before trying the Push again.

01/27/2012 15:00 - Norbert Nemec wrote:

> This is definitely clearer for the user.
>
> I still don't think the option is very useful, but at least it is not
> confusing.
>

> Am 27.01.12 14:36, schrieb syntevo Support:
> > Maybe we should get rid of Sync and add an option to pull after pushing?

> > Thomas Singer
> > =============
> >
> > 01/27/2012 14:20 - fmazerolle_it wrote:
> >
> >  >
> >  > > I'm more concerned about the git-newbies in our company.
> >  >
> >  > Just do like I did:
> >  > "Don't use the Sync button, it's broken".
> >  > And they learn to pull, resolve/commit, push.
> >  >
> >  > And after they understand the concept, I explained them:
> >  > "Well, I told it was broken, but it is not really. It just useless as
> > it try to
> >  > push before pulling..."
> >  >
> >  > So yeah, on my side, I've also experienced "newbies" ( I don't really
> > like the
> >  > word... ) that was confuse with the SYNC button. And as soon as you
> > understand it,
> >  > you completely stop using it.
> >  >
> >  >
> >

> --
> Dr. Norbert Nemec
> Teamleader Software Development
>
> Tel +49-30-611035-1882
> [hidden email]
>
> KOMPLETE 8 ULTIMATE - the premium NI producer collection
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/komplete8
>
> TRAKTOR KONTROL S2 - the professional 2.1 DJ system
> =>  http://www.native-instruments.com/s2
>
> ->>>>>> NATIVE INSTRUMENTS - The Future of Sound <<<<<<-
>
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht Charlottenburg
> Registernummer: HRB 72458
> UST.-ID.-Nr. DE 20 374 7747
>
> Geschäftsführung: Daniel Haver (CEO), Mate Galic

Re: Sync twice

fmazerolle
I really think the sync behaviour should be changed, or completely removed.

In case the merge/rebase fail ( a conflict ), then halt the sync process in a conflicted merge state.

... then the user complete the merge, make a commit, and can hit sync (or push) again.

I don't see a *major* risk with that.

Of course, it could merge something that is unwanted when considering what you just pulled (like making a call to a recently deleted method), but that's the nature of synchronizing itself ; it's to gain time by allowing an automation on something that you could do by manually.

No synchronisation is perfect, and if you're in a risky situation ( like pushing stuff on a production branch ), you'll probably not want to use Sync anyway.

Re: Sync twice

syntevo Support
> I really think the sync behaviour should be changed, or completely removed.
>
> In case the merge/rebase fail ( a conflict ), then halt the sync process in a
> conflicted merge state.
>
> ... then the user complete the merge, make a commit, and can hit sync (or push)
> again.

Actually, this is what Sync does: it halts, user fixes conflicts and commits to get out of merging/rebasing state and then he hits Sync again to continue.

Summarizing: Sync will do exactly what a user would do: first push (if there is something to push). If that succeeds, fine. If not: pull + optional merge/rebase (note this is optional and depends on how the last Pull was done: either with or without merge/rebase). Now, user will resolve possible conflicts and will Push again (second invocation of Sync). So instead of using Push + Pull, users can be told to just use Sync, which will hint users what to do:

"Root ... has not been pushed due to overlapping changes."

Maybe we should have clearer instructions here, like:

"Root ... has not been pushed, because there were new commits on the server which SmartGit has fetched and onto which it has rebased your own changes. You may now review the resulting working copy (e.g. try to compile, run some tests) and when you are fine with the rebase result, hit Sync again to finally send your changes to the server."

?

Also, it might be confusing that Sync uses last Pull settings to decide whether to just fetch or merge/rebase. Maybe it should always merge/rebase?