Why is merge not available for feature branches?

Why is merge not available for feature branches?

SmartGit mailing list
We have a complicated branching scheme because we have many people doing
parallel development on a single project.  In general, we're using the
gitflow model, but we have some variation.  In addition to the normal
develop branch, we have developX and developY branches, where X and Y
are major parallel development efforts.  Eventually, these parallel
efforts make there way to develop and master.

I have a feature featureA that targets developX.  When featureA is in
the working tree, and I want to pull in any updates from developX, I can
just right-click developX and the context menu has a Merge... item.

However, if I want to then merge my updates from featureA into developX,
I start by checking out developX into the working tree.  Now if I
right-click featureA, I don't have the Merge... option.  Instead, I have
to click Merge from the top icon bar, then find my feature branch in the
commit history.  Not nearly as easy as just selecting Merge... from the
context menu.

Thanks.

--
Guy Rouillier

---

Re: Why is merge not available for feature branches?

SmartGit mailing list
> However, if I want to then merge my updates from featureA into developX,
> I start by checking out developX into the working tree.  Now if I
> right-click featureA, I don't have the Merge... option.  Instead, I have
> to click Merge from the top icon bar, then find my feature branch in the
> commit history.  Not nearly as easy as just selecting Merge... from the
> context menu.

We have disabled Merge for feature branches because these should be Finished (Git-Flow), however I agree that unconditional disabling is too general. Hence, for 6.5.2, Merge will in general be available except of HEAD being develop, master or another feature branch.