memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Guys,

I have a longrunning instance of smartgit 6.0.6 that i have not
interacted with for about a week, if not more. All background fetch,
monitor, etc is turned on. This instance just informed me it was out
of memory and offered a force exit button. Indeed, task manager showed
it was using some 311 mb of memory.

this is an up to date windows 7, 64 bit.

All the best,
Dee

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Dee,

Do you mean SmartGit was not showing any window any more, but only its tray icon?

09/14/2014 07:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I have a longrunning instance of smartgit 6.0.6 that i have not
> interacted with for about a week, if not more. All background fetch,
> monitor, etc is turned on. This instance just informed me it was out
> of memory and offered a force exit button. Indeed, task manager showed
> it was using some 311 mb of memory.
>
> this is an up to date windows 7, 64 bit.
>
> All the best,
> Dee

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Thomas,

No, i got a window. I noticed the taskbar (not tray) icon/button had a
yellow background, so switched to the window. It was showing a dialogue
informing me it was out of memory, giving instructions how to raise java vm
memory and it had a button force restart (which did nothing upon pressing
it, had to close window and tray icon by hand).

Best,
Dee

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
[smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dee,
>
> Do you mean SmartGit was not showing any window any more, but only its
> tray icon?

> 09/14/2014 07:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit]
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Guys,
> >
> > I have a longrunning instance of smartgit 6.0.6 that i have not
> > interacted with for about a week, if not more. All background fetch,
> > monitor, etc is turned on. This instance just informed me it was out
> > of memory and offered a force exit button. Indeed, task manager showed
> > it was using some 311 mb of memory.
> >
> > this is an up to date windows 7, 64 bit.
> >
> > All the best,
> > Dee

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Thomas,

now that i think about it again. I often remote desktop into this machine,
as well as use it directly. The remote desktop session is at a different
resolution than when using the machine locally. I remember that another
program with a java gui, matlab, also has out of memory issues in the java
vm that some say is linked to leaks caused by resolution changing. This is
totally of the top of my head, but hope its of some use to you (and whether
it becomes reproducible / leads to a work-around).

Best,
Dee

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> No, i got a window. I noticed the taskbar (not tray) icon/button had a
> yellow background, so switched to the window. It was showing a dialogue
> informing me it was out of memory, giving instructions how to raise java vm
> memory and it had a button force restart (which did nothing upon pressing
> it, had to close window and tray icon by hand).
>
> Best,
> Dee
>
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> [smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> Hi Dee,
>>
>> Do you mean SmartGit was not showing any window any more, but only its
>> tray icon?
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Thomas Singer
>> syntevo GmbH
>> http://www.syntevo.com
>> http://blog.syntevo.com
>>

>> 09/14/2014 07:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email]
>> [smartgit] wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >
>> > I have a longrunning instance of smartgit 6.0.6 that i have not
>> > interacted with for about a week, if not more. All background fetch,
>> > monitor, etc is turned on. This instance just informed me it was out
>> > of memory and offered a force exit button. Indeed, task manager showed
>> > it was using some 311 mb of memory.
>> >
>> > this is an up to date windows 7, 64 bit.
>> >
>> > All the best,
>> > Dee

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Dee,

If you have a JDK installed on your machine, please run jvisualvm.exe from its bin directory and connect to SmartGit. It might indicate memory increases that can't get back by pressing "Perform GC". If you are lucky, you may use "Heap Dump", so we might have a chance to see what object references are the most.

09/14/2014 13:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> now that i think about it again. I often remote desktop into this machine,
> as well as use it directly. The remote desktop session is at a different
> resolution than when using the machine locally. I remember that another
> program with a java gui, matlab, also has out of memory issues in the java
> vm that some say is linked to leaks caused by resolution changing. This is
> totally of the top of my head, but hope its of some use to you (and whether
> it becomes reproducible / leads to a work-around).
>
> Best,
> Dee
>
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > No, i got a window. I noticed the taskbar (not tray) icon/button had a
> > yellow background, so switched to the window. It was showing a dialogue
> > informing me it was out of memory, giving instructions how to raise java vm
> > memory and it had a button force restart (which did nothing upon pressing
> > it, had to close window and tray icon by hand).
> >
> > Best,
> > Dee
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 3:05 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> > [smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> >> Hi Dee,
> >>
> >> Do you mean SmartGit was not showing any window any more, but only its
> >> tray icon?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best regards,
> >> Thomas Singer
> >> syntevo GmbH
> >> http://www.syntevo.com
> >> http://blog.syntevo.com

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Thomas,

I don't have a JDK installed (don't work with java myself). I have just
cleanly started smartgit and not touched it otherwise. I look at the memory
usage periodically. It rises over time (up 8 mb in about an hour). In this
time, according to the log, only one background fetch happened, quite early
on. Another 5 mb are consumed now, without any additions to the log. Also,
switching back and forth to the sg window and other open programs does not
seem to lead to an increase in memory usage, so my periodic checking is
probably not to blame. Not sure what else I can do to help debug this.

Digging a bit deeper into my suggestion regarding remote desktop use /
resolution switching, those matlab out of vm errors are due to java swing
problems. I seem to recall you guys use SWT, so it might have been a dead
suggestion from me. Besides, I see the climbing memory usage now without
doing any such things...

Best,
Dee

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
[smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Dee,
>
> If you have a JDK installed on your machine, please run jvisualvm.exe from
> its bin directory and connect to SmartGit. It might indicate memory
> increases that can't get back by pressing "Perform GC". If you are lucky,
> you may use "Heap Dump", so we might have a chance to see what object
> references are the most.

> 09/14/2014 13:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit]
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Thomas,
> >
> > now that i think about it again. I often remote desktop into this
> machine,
> > as well as use it directly. The remote desktop session is at a different
> > resolution than when using the machine locally. I remember that another
> > program with a java gui, matlab, also has out of memory issues in the
> java
> > vm that some say is linked to leaks caused by resolution changing. This
> is
> > totally of the top of my head, but hope its of some use to you (and
> whether
> > it becomes reproducible / leads to a work-around).
> >
> > Best,
> > Dee
> >
> > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster <
> [hidden email]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > No, i got a window. I noticed the taskbar (not tray) icon/button had a
> > > yellow background, so switched to the window. It was showing a dialogue
> > > informing me it was out of memory, giving instructions how to raise
> java vm
> > > memory and it had a button force restart (which did nothing upon
> pressing
> > > it, had to close window and tray icon by hand).
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Dee

> showed

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Memory always increase slowly because of background operation and garbage. After invoking the garbage collector (GC) it should decrease again. The question is whether the value after invoking GC increases somehow.

09/15/2014 10:30 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I don't have a JDK installed (don't work with java myself). I have just
> cleanly started smartgit and not touched it otherwise. I look at the memory
> usage periodically. It rises over time (up 8 mb in about an hour). In this
> time, according to the log, only one background fetch happened, quite early
> on. Another 5 mb are consumed now, without any additions to the log. Also,
> switching back and forth to the sg window and other open programs does not
> seem to lead to an increase in memory usage, so my periodic checking is
> probably not to blame. Not sure what else I can do to help debug this.
>
> Digging a bit deeper into my suggestion regarding remote desktop use /
> resolution switching, those matlab out of vm errors are due to java swing
> problems. I seem to recall you guys use SWT, so it might have been a dead
> suggestion from me. Besides, I see the climbing memory usage now without
> doing any such things...
>
> Best,
> Dee
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> [smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Hi Dee,
> >
> > If you have a JDK installed on your machine, please run jvisualvm.exe from
> > its bin directory and connect to SmartGit. It might indicate memory
> > increases that can't get back by pressing "Perform GC". If you are lucky,
> > you may use "Heap Dump", so we might have a chance to see what object
> > references are the most.

> > Thomas Singer
> >
> > 09/14/2014 13:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit]
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > now that i think about it again. I often remote desktop into this
> > machine,
> > > as well as use it directly. The remote desktop session is at a different
> > > resolution than when using the machine locally. I remember that another
> > > program with a java gui, matlab, also has out of memory issues in the
> > java
> > > vm that some say is linked to leaks caused by resolution changing. This
> > is
> > > totally of the top of my head, but hope its of some use to you (and
> > whether
> > > it becomes reproducible / leads to a work-around).
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Dee
> > >
> > > On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM, Diederick C. Niehorster <
> > [hidden email]>

> > java vm
> > pressing

> > showed

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Thomas,

Hmm, could smartgit then simply invoke the gc instead of showing an out of
memory dialogue with a force restart button (which as said didn't do
anything when clicked)? As we're talking about background tasks anyway,
maybe the gc could even be invoked periodically in background mode to avoid
such things from happening.

Best,
Dee

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> [...]

> > Best,
> > Dee
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> > [smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > > Hi Dee,
> > >
> > > If you have a JDK installed on your machine, please run jvisualvm.exe
> from
> > > its bin directory and connect to SmartGit. It might indicate memory
> > > increases that can't get back by pressing "Perform GC". If you are
> lucky,
> > > you may use "Heap Dump", so we might have a chance to see what object
> > > references are the most.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Best regards,
> > > Thomas Singer
> > > syntevo GmbH
> > > http://www.syntevo.com
> > > http://blog.syntevo.com
> > >
> > > 09/14/2014 13:00 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email]

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Dee,

Java should automatically invoke the GC "when necessary". The issue with your problem is not the GC, but most likely accumulated, still references data not collected by the GC. But we need to find out under what particular circumstances this happens.

09/15/2014 15:10 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit] wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Hmm, could smartgit then simply invoke the gc instead of showing an out of
> memory dialogue with a force restart button (which as said didn't do
> anything when clicked)? As we're talking about background tasks anyway,
> maybe the gc could even be invoked periodically in background mode to avoid
> such things from happening.
>
> Best,
> Dee
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]
> [smartgit] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Memory always increase slowly because of background operation and garbage.
> > After invoking the garbage collector (GC) it should decrease again. The
> > question is whether the value after invoking GC increases somehow.

> > Thomas Singer
> >
> > 09/15/2014 10:30 - 'Diederick C. Niehorster' [hidden email] [smartgit]
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Thomas,
> > >
> > > I don't have a JDK installed (don't work with java myself). I have just
> > > cleanly started smartgit and not touched it otherwise. I look at the
> > memory
> > > usage periodically. It rises over time (up 8 mb in about an hour). In
> > this
> > > time, according to the log, only one background fetch happened, quite
> > early
> > > on. Another 5 mb are consumed now, without any additions to the log.
> > Also,
> > > switching back and forth to the sg window and other open programs does
> > not
> > > seem to lead to an increase in memory usage, so my periodic checking is
> > > probably not to blame. Not sure what else I can do to help debug this.
> > >
> > > Digging a bit deeper into my suggestion regarding remote desktop use /
> > > resolution switching, those matlab out of vm errors are due to java swing
> > > problems. I seem to recall you guys use SWT, so it might have been a dead
> > > suggestion from me. Besides, I see the climbing memory usage now without
> > > doing any such things...
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > Dee

> > from
> > lucky,

> > [smartgit]

> > different
> > another
> > This

> > had a
> > dialogue

> > [hidden email]

> > only its

> > fetch,
> > was out

Re: memory leak in 6.0.6?

SmartGit mailing list
Hi Thomas,

I see. Should it come up again i can try the debugging steps you suggested.

Best,
Dee

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:23 PM, syntevo Support [hidden email]