Quantcast

not asking for credential with new repo clone

not asking for credential with new repo clone

SmartGit mailing list
Doing a new install on a windows 7 box (64bit) with the latest smartgit 6.5.7.

Put in the url and it never asks for ssh credentials.  Just spins and then says no credentials can't connect, but it never asked for them!   I even double checked that there a no "known" credentials in the preferences/authentication.

I KNOW this repo is working fine.  I have another windows box, and linux box same repo, same url.  If I "remove" the credential for the repo and try to push to it up pops the credentials box fine.

On this windows box whatever repo I try to clone it never asks for ssh credentials.

BTW is git required for smartgit to run properly ?  I had loaded it.  It says it is in the path.  Do I need to reboot maybe?

Re: not asking for credential with new repo clone

When SSH client is selected in the SmartGit preferences, "Authentication" page? Are there already some credentials listed for this repository?

> BTW is git required for smartgit to run properly ?

Yes, but SmartGit comes with Git bundled.

> Doing a new install on a windows 7 box (64bit) with the latest smartgit 6.5.7.
>
> Put in the url and it never asks for ssh credentials.  Just spins and then says no
> credentials can't connect, but it never asked for them!   I even double checked
> that there a no "known" credentials in the preferences/authentication.
>
> I KNOW this repo is working fine.  I have another windows box, and linux box same
> repo, same url.  If I "remove" the credential for the repo and try to push to it
> up pops the credentials box fine.
>
> On this windows box whatever repo I try to clone it never asks for ssh
> credentials.
>
> BTW is git required for smartgit to run properly ?  I had loaded it.  It says it
> is in the path.  Do I need to reboot maybe?

Re: not asking for credential with new repo clone

SmartGit mailing list
no, as I said I doubled checked that there were no credentials even though it was a new install and being new how could there be.

As I also mentioned I deleted a credential in my other windows install and it

I am wondering if smartgit first tries to contact the remote repo then asks for credentials in that order.   If it fails to make contact it won't ask for credentials?   This other box is on another network and though I double checked the git repo url (it was a copy and paste) maybe it's unreachable from his network??

Re: not asking for credential with new repo clone

SmartGit mailing list
Which SSH client is selected in the SmartGit preferences, "Authentication" page - on both machines?

> no, as I said I doubled checked that there were no credentials even though it was
> a new install and being new how could there be.
>
> As I also mentioned I deleted a credential in my other windows install and it
>

> I am wondering if smartgit first tries to contact the remote repo then asks for
> credentials in that order.   If it fails to make contact it won't ask for
> credentials?   This other box is on another network and though I double checked
> the git repo url (it was a copy and paste) maybe it's unreachable from his
> network??

Re: not asking for credential with new repo clone

SmartGit mailing list
it's the same.  Use smargit as ssh client.

Here is the exact message
says:  add remote repository
then does NOT ask for credentials but twirls away and finally reports:
"could not read from remote repository"  Plese make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists."

Well of course cause it never asked for them like it should have immediately after clicking next.

I've done the following.

1 Turned off the Norton Firewall to be sure it's not blocking port 22
2.  Uninstantiated and reinstalled smartgit
3.  Tried adding a remote to a github and another http based repo I run.  Both use password credentials and both of those work normally but don't use ssh.

 what about.???

1.  Does smartgit require jre (I don't think so).  At least I don't have it installed on a windows box that works fine.
2.  When I uninstall there must be some settings files left somewhere (I deleted the smargit directory and looked around in user/(username)/appdata but could not find anything.  If a settings file is corrupted this might be the issue but how so I scrub all traces so I get back to the original first time install questions.  The reinstall  found some left over settings and if settings file is the issue then this needs to be scrubbed.

Unfortunately I don't have another ssh git server I can check this against but as I said this server works great with every other install of smartgit on all three OSs.

I'm stumped.

Re: not asking for credential with new repo clone

SmartGit mailing list
Please send log.txt* files from the SmartGit settings directory (see About dialog) to smartgit (at) syntevo (dot) com.