rebase conflicted state us vs them?

SmartGit mailing list
I'm using SmartGit 6.5. I don't know if this issue has existed in previous versions.

I'm doing a rebase of branch A to branch B and I see a file whose state is Conflicted (Deleted by us)

 I know that file was modified in branch A and deleted in branch B.

 While I would expect that "us" and "ours" refers to the branch being rebased (A) and "them" or "theirs" refers to the branch being rebased to (B), that doesn't seem to be the case in the conflicted state column OR in the conflict solver.

 However, and this is what makes it particularly confusing, is that if I select "Resolve..." on that file the dialog says:
 "Set to rebased branch 'A' ("ours")
 "Set to rebase target ("theirs")

 which is the pronoun terminology I expected.

Re: rebase conflicted state us vs them?

SmartGit mailing list
> I'm doing a rebase of branch A to branch B and I see a file whose state is
> Conflicted (Deleted by us)
>

>  I know that file was modified in branch A and deleted in branch B.
>

>  While I would expect that "us" and "ours" refers to the branch being rebased (A)
> and "them" or "theirs" refers to the branch being rebased to (B), that doesn't
> seem to be the case in the conflicted state column OR in the conflict solver.

Unfortunately the way rebase works is to check out the target branch (B) and then cherry-pick changes from the source (A). Hence, meaning is reversed. We have fixed that for Resolve/Conflict Solver, but I don't think we would fix that for the file state, because of (1) the effort required and (2) it's exactly opposite as Git would display information. To get things consistent we might use following labels for Resolve:

"Set to rebased branch 'A' ("theirs")
"Set to rebase target ("ours")

Does that make sense?

> I'm using SmartGit 6.5. I don't know if this issue has existed in previous
> versions.
>
> I'm doing a rebase of branch A to branch B and I see a file whose state is
> Conflicted (Deleted by us)
>

>  I know that file was modified in branch A and deleted in branch B.
>

>  While I would expect that "us" and "ours" refers to the branch being rebased (A)
> and "them" or "theirs" refers to the branch being rebased to (B), that doesn't
> seem to be the case in the conflicted state column OR in the conflict solver.
>

>  However, and this is what makes it particularly confusing, is that if I select
> "Resolve..." on that file the dialog says:
>  "Set to rebased branch 'A' ("ours")
>  "Set to rebase target ("theirs")
>

>  which is the pronoun terminology I expected.

Re: rebase conflicted state us vs them?

SmartGit mailing list
Sorry I was so long getting back to this thread.

Well I guess it sort of makes sense in terms of the intermediate state that exists while conflicts need to be resolved.

The naming doesn't really make sense in terms of the initial and final states which is really how I (as the user) think of the operation.

However consistency is super important, so if the names must be reversed they should be reversed everywhere.

And if there were some way to let me (the user) know which terms would be getting applied to the commits on which branch that would be even better, maybe in the Rebase Head to dialog?

I know I always have this problem when resolving merge conflicts of trying to figure out which branch is on the left and which is on the right (I use the Beyond Compare as my external merge tool) because I don't know what ours and theirs refer to.

Mike