refresh problem

we have a problem concerning file system refresh of modified files. We
expect (having activated Edit->Preferences->Background
Commands->Refresh...while...in background), that modified files are
detected in background and shown (in red) in the Files Tab.

What we see is (after modifying files from outside smartgit):
- using a freshly started smartgit the detection works fine, even if
smartgit is in the background
- after some time (I measured 22 minutes) the background refresh stops
working; now we have to activate the smartgit window in order to trigger
refresh
- after some more time (or maybe some more refresh cycles?) the
automatic detection stops working - now we have to press "F5" to trigger
refresh
- closing and reopening the repository does not help
- restarting smartgit helps (and the described loop starts again...)

This problem has been independenty confirmed on several machines with
the following configuration:
- smartgit 6.0.7 (build #3161)
- java version 1.7.0_65-b32
- running on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS guest system, which is installed on a
Virtual Box 4.3.12 running on Windows 7 host
- linux kernel version 3.13.0-39-generic
- local git repository located on virtual drive (.vdi), which is stored
on the local harddisk of the Windows 7 host

Are there some suggestions how to solve this problem?
Best regards
Arno

Re: refresh problem

SmartGit mailing list
> - using a freshly started smartgit the detection works fine, even if
> smartgit is in the background
> - after some time (I measured 22 minutes) the background refresh stops
> working; now we have to activate the smartgit window in order to trigger
> refresh
> - after some more time (or maybe some more refresh cycles?) the
> automatic detection stops working - now we have to press "F5" to trigger
> refresh
> - closing and reopening the repository does not help
> - restarting smartgit helps (and the described loop starts again...)

Background change detection and Refreshing (F5) are quite independent from each other, so that sounds like the only common module, the core file monitoring is broken for you. Can you please send us log.txt*-files from the Settings directory (see About dialog) to [hidden email]? Alternatively, you may check the files yourself for entries related to "sc.file.monitor" and possibly other "ERROR"s or "WARN"ings.